[Archive] Hobgoblin Figs

giantsquig :

Is forge world planing on putting out any hobgoblin figs? I don’t wan to spend a butt tone of money on old gw figs if forge world is going to put out some in the future.

Dînadan:

I may be mistaken, but I’m fairly sure I’ve read somewhere that FW have said they have no intention of making hobgoblins - at the prices they charge and the amount people would need for a unit, few people would be able to afford them in the quantities needed for an army and as such it wouldn’t be viable for them to make them.

Nicodemus:

Totally right. When you consider that 10 Infernal Guard cost 37GBP (let’s call it ~60 USD/CAD), that’s also the price of the minimum unit size in the army list. Hobgoblins would be priced similarly, but you need 20 minimum for a unit, and they’re a low points-cost model in the army list, so to have them playable you’d need to buy more than that, maybe 40+. Well, at the same price as IG the minimum unit size will st you back ~$120 … Or £77, too rich for most folk’s blood and this is the simple math of why FW won’t be releasing any.

So here’s some fun with numbers, in terms of how much you pay per point to field a minimum-sized IG with no extras, it’s $0.50 per point. For Hobgoblins there’s twice as many models at 1/3 the points cost, so you’re paying $0.67 per point to field them. $0.50 is already high for core as we’re a specialty army, but somewhere in there is the threshold of number of models, points cost and price to the buyer…

But his has been covered here on CDO before too.

~N

cornixt:

You’re better off either using regular Goblin models or doing one of the conversions people have done on this site.

Chico:

See I wouldn’t say £77 is that expensive for 20 Forgeworld Hobgoblins not when you compare it to the latest plastic DE prices (£70 for 20 Witch Elves) plus the odd metal Hobbos go for around £3-4 and time and effort to hunt them out.

Dînadan:

See I wouldn't say £77 is that expensive for 20 Forgeworld Hobgoblins not when you compare it to the latest plastic DE prices (£70 for 20 Witch Elves) plus the odd metal Hobbos go for around £3-4 and time and effort to hunt them out.

Chico
Problem is the points cost though. I haven't seen the newest DE book, but I'm fairly sure the points cost for a Witch Elf is several times that of a hobgoblin. On a figure by figure bases, yeah it's not so bad compared to the Citadel prices, but when you need 3 or more times as much it becomes a stumbling block, especialy when, as mentioned above you can get away with just using goblin minis.

Chico:

If you already paying £45 for the Army List/book and Forgeworld prices to build the army to me it seems strange to then start worrying about price/point cost later on and to start cutting corners by using plastic Goblins. If people are doing this army on the cheap/low budget then chances are they aren’t buying many of the FW CD anyway I guess.

Onyx:

Yepp, I too think someone who builds his entire army from Warhammer Forge miniatures, spending roughly $ 700 on a 2500pts army will most likely want Hobgoblins from FW as well.

I would have bought them instead of my fireglaive unit (I would have needed 30, so this would have upped my total army cost approximatly from $700 to $800).

giantsquig :

I don’t mind paying more for quality sculpts that look like hobgoblins. I don’t want to use the goblins from the O&G line on skaven bodies or gnoblar heads on LOTR figs because to me they still look like goblins or gnoblars. I don’t mind the old metal figs I just don’t want to go out and pick up 40 of them if FW is planing making better looking ones in the future.

cornixt:

What about other manufacturers? Probably much easier to come by than that many old GW HGs.

giantsquig :

What about other manufacturers? Probably much easier to come by than that many old GW HGs.

cornixt
I frequently play in a gw store so I have to use all gw figs. Kinda sucks but I'm looking for other alternatives. I like the rackham confrontation line of goblins but they are even harder to come by then old gw.

Onyx:

cornixt
Would not be a problem for me. IF there were any out there that would match the FW Chaos Dwarfs in terms of detail. And this is my problem. It seems there aren't. The only one I have found in long hours of search is one hobgoblin mage

http://www.tabletopshoponline.de/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/295x295/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/o/hobgoblinmage.jpg

Vogon:

I frequently play in a gw store so I have to use all gw figs. Kinda sucks but I'm looking for other alternatives. I like the rackham confrontation line of goblins but they are even harder to come by then old gw.

giantsquig
I'm in the same boat so have started to convert some myself from Storm Vermin with goblin heads (well got all the bits I need to do so anyway)

I'd like to see Warhammer Forge do some but with all Forge World's resources except Trish working on Heresy and Trish only working on big monsters I don't see them happening any time soon.

Cheers

Vogon

Averrucus:

yeah, for an all-gw force you either go storm vermin with gobbos heads or skaven slaves with nightgobbos heads.

for a “buff” unit you could even do Empire Flagellants with nightgobbos heads…

Chico:

My Hobbos are BfSP Goblins cut in half across the belt area and a large green stuff belly made to both bulk out/give height the figure and show they are better fed then the other slaves.

giantsquig :

Would not be a problem for me. IF there were any out there that would match the FW Chaos Dwarfs in terms of detail.

Onyx
Yep. I love how detailed the FW chaos dwarf figs are and when I look a others manufacturers I am underwhelmed.

Xx9millxX:

cornixt

giantsquig
Check out this site ... http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?32581

It's a guide to finding rackham minis.. Nobleknightgames seemed to have a lot of the goblin minis for sale

Onyx:

Hmm, Nobleknightgames now has about 5 different boxes - none of which make sense in the Warhammer universe.

About 15 years ago we used to buy Confrontation minis as we couldn’t afford Citadel miniatures. Back then a goblin box of 20? went for about �,� 15. Ahhh … the times…

PhilmacFLy:

I have no Gobos yet but if Im gonna get some (and there are no FW) ill buy the one from Manticgames