[Archive] Hobgoblin Heroes

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Are Hobgoblin Heroes good for your army?

I have a box of 20 Goblins (Regiment) and I am wondering if converting some of these into Hobgoblin Heroes (Including a wolf Rider Hero) might be a good way to go or if the points cost, benefits and “power” of the heroes isn’t worth it compaired to the pure strength of the unit’s strength of 20 models.

How would you vote?

Bolg:

Well my first couple of list all had a hobgob Hero on wolf (heavy armour, enchanted shield sword of might 80+ points) but I threw him out, he had to much trouble making that 2+ armour save or he couldnt hit a barn door. somtimes I put him in a unit of wolf boys, that would just fail animosety and then run of the table.

He did sometimes kill entire units of chaos hounds of marauders of do a nice march block, but mainly he was a to much of a gamble. Oh and he took the place of my BSB and that made a lot of difference to.

So I voted No, but if I were you I would still convert the model(s) they could always count as unit champions and in some battles they could be useful.

Warhammerman:

Well my first couple of list all had a hobgob Hero on wolf (heavy armour, enchanted shield sword of might 80+ points) but I threw him out, he had to much trouble making that 2+ armour save or he couldnt hit a barn door. somtimes I put him in a unit of wolf boys, that would just fail animosety and then run of the table.

He did sometimes kill entire units of chaos hounds of marauders of do a nice march block, but mainly he was a to much of a gamble. Oh and he took the place of my BSB and that made a lot of difference to.

So I voted No, but if I were you I would still convert the model(s) they could always count as unit champions and in some battles they could be useful.

Bolg
I tried a similar combo used by Bolg and it was ok. Not really to spectacular...because it really mattered what he got in combat with and your rolls. Most of the time he died to heavier opponents and was nothing more than an annoyance at his best. Animosity hurts when failed... :( So I wouldn't put them in my last...but it's up to you.

Loki:

I have to vote no as well, i dont think they are worth the points as hobgoblins are only meant to be throw away units, maybe in a high points game i might have one but in a 2000 pts or below game i would not bother as it to much of a point drain , your better off taking the same amount of naked hobgoblins they would be of more use i think :slight_smile:

Border Reiver:

In certain circumstances they are useful.

I put mine on wolf, then give him the sword of battle and heavy armour and a shield. He hangs with my Black Orcs (propbably alternately sucking up and spying) and his role is to give me a quick assassin. Depending on who I’m facing he can charge out independently to go after those little mages/runesmiths/war machine crews, or he adds to the fighting capability of the front rank (4 WS5/S4 attacks + the wolf are not to be despised).

I don’t put him in every game, but every couple of months he can be a surprise.

Servius:

I like him honestly… and Run one in my current list.

I tend to run shadow lore mainly and find the “Hobgoblin Sparrow” as I call it pretty good… i.e. (Hero with Heavy Armour, Shield and GW with Gauntlets catapulted into warmachines or other small units with steed of shadows.)

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Seems to be a “Tie Vote” right now.

Warhammerman:

Seems to be a "Tie Vote" right now.

Tarrakk Blackhand
Which is cool. All in all do what you want to do. Don't let us boss you around...unless you ARE a hobgoblin that is. :hat off :cheers

KramDratta:

I like fielding a HG hero and normally do so.

Lately I am facing more heavy magic armies, so I am finding it harder to justify him instead of a 2nd sorceror.

tjub:

Havent thought about adding them, but I sure will… Could even be a future GH! :wink:

Guardian_A:

I use one sometimes just to mix things up a little. I have mixed results depending on the build and who I am up against.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Personally, I think they’re great if you have a few spare points. Stick him on a wolf, give him the Armour of the Furnace, a shield and maybe a Great Weapon. Great for march blocking, can take on characters if need be, good for rear/flank charges and taking out small/weak units and warmachines. All fo 99-101 points. He’s also very good at surviving with a 2+ save and 5+ ward, with immunity to fire.

He’s also good at making your wolfriders stronger, but, regardless, go with what you want and see how it works :wink:

AGPO:

I take one on a wolf with great weapon, heavy armour and shield and use him for many of the purposes I use fast cavalry or flyers in other lists - warmachine/wizard hunting, march blocking and (very) ocasionally drawing fanatics. If you’re using the indy list with smaller Wolfrider units there’s no need for him but in ravening hordes armies he still has a use.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Cool guys!

I made 3 different wolf riders last night and made them interchangeable, attaching onto 1 wolf. I drilled a hole into both the rider(s) and the wolf models and attached a 1/2 inch metal rod into the wolf. Now the Hobgoblin heroes can just sit on the metal rod, not being glued down to the wolf at all.

Bolg:

Looking forward to seeing pictures Tarrakk

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Shouldn’t be too long…I’m trying to make an Earth Shaker at the moment. I’ve got the barrel almost together.

cornixt:

Hobgoblin Assassins

Just add a Hobgoblin Hero with heavy armour and a great weapon (maybe a shield if you have the extra couple of points to spare) to a unit.  For 48 points you can get an extra 3 S6 attacks from your unit, which is better than any magic item CDs can take.

Okay, they aren’t really assassins but more of a small power boost to a unit.  The reason I call it an assassin is because he is not going to be leading a CD unit.

For 20pts more you could have a CD hero who has Ld10, but he is as slow as the rest of the unit.  A HG Hero has M4, which gives him a little more distance to switch between units or even charge out of the CD unit to sacrifice himself.  He can run out to hold up an annoying unbreakable enemy unit like a pumpwagon (especially if it is about to charge your flank).  Even if he can’t charge it himself he can get in the way, leaving the unit free to choose a better fight.  If you are already within range of the general then it is 20pts you can do without, and it’s not as if Ld9 is bad anyway.  Plus, if a CD hero/sorc is leading the unit and you’ve already lost the champion to a challenge then you can stick him next in line while your CD character kicks ass against the unit.  With two wounds he might even stick around.

Thommy H:

I never leave home without Azhan Khan: The Scourge of the Steppes; the Green Death - Hobgoblin Hero on wolf with the Sword of Battle, Enchanted Shield and heavy armour. He has a 2+ save and 4 attacks which, when combined with the best unit in the game (Wolf Riders) makes him little short of a laser guided inter-table ballistic missile. Just point him at a thing you want to die, and send him flying towards it.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Awesome Model Thommy H!

Stupid question - Does the Hobgoblin Hero on Wolf still count as “Fast Calvary”?

Thommy H:

Only if it’s in a unit of fast cavalry. Characters can’t get the rule (unless they’re riding Steeds of Slaanesh…) but they benefit from all the abilities if they’re in a unit that does.