[Archive] Hobgoblin Slaves

cornixt:

Erm, against Chaos Warriors you aren’t going to get a 4+ armour save anyway. It will be 5+ at best or non existant if they have great weapons.

hal:

This weekend I had my first fight with my new chaos dwarfs(and won!) and in this army I had a unit of 15 hobgoblins with full command. THey took a charge from a empire greeatsword unit 11 strong with 2 character in it( a captain and a warrior priest) and survivaded 2 rounds of close combat where theya ctually killed of 3 great swordsmen. not so shabby if you ask me. It made my Cd to attack the greatsword unit later in the flank. Very nice indeed Happy So hobgoblins can indeed make a nice unit. Even if cheap Happy
That's obviously just an unfourtunate case of poor rolling from your opponent. It happens, but I wouldn't base my next list from one experience.

metro_gnome:

it seems they will have to learn the hard way…

The Slaver:

I have to say that i wouldn’t think of charging chaos warriors with hobgobs! they are a distraction unit, ment to hold up the larger units of, say goblins, or clanrats. They are there to capture table quaters and hold off those units which may tie up your CD. Even if you do give them Shields and light armor, chaos warriors would cleve right through it! there chaos warriors after all!!

Uzkul Werit:

And if you did tool them up to last, the Hobgoblins would need to be in blocks of at least 25. 40 'ard Hobgoblins would be best.

AGPO:

Don’t forget hobbos are nowhere near as bad as gobbos - they have the same stats as a basic human, and a basic human unit with hand waepons, light armour and shield with full command would be quite a popular choice, especially with Ld 10 all at 4pts a model. You could even whack in a hobgoblin big boss (excellent value for points) if you actually want to kill more stuff with them. Don’t forget that although they have only 1 WS3, S3 attack, this is what most have anyway

RainDog:

hobgoblins are the bees knees!

Slaver_of_Zharr:

Erm, against Chaos Warriors you aren't going to get a 4+ armour save anyway.��It will be 5+ at best or non existant if they have great weapons.

cornixt
i used 5+ for the example:)
and congrats on the win Nazhur (from the sound of it you were pretty lucky though)

Rattler:

Not anymore; now they just squabble or charge

Lord Zarkov
Really? I thought that according to US GT rules they follow "The animosity chart on page 16 of Warhammer Armies: Orcs and Goblins." What changed?

Uzkul Werit:

The animosity charge has just been simplified. On a 1, the Greenskins Squabble and on a 6, they charge D6 inches forwards and then they may move/charge afterwards.

Rattler:

Ahh, okay thanks. I didn’t want to start a new thread for it. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Doh! I just realized why I was confused…I was reading the 6th ED armybook. sigh lol

The Raven:

Hobgoblins rock the world. At my local club, my slave unit of 10 naked hobbo’s strike more fear than my block of heavy chaos dwarfs. They make Centigors run, beat 30 night goblins in close combat and run down a beast herd with general worth more than 10 times their own points all in one day.

Of course, this is all sheer luck. But the fact is that for some strange reason I kill far more with my hobbo’s then with my chaos dwarfs…

Uzkul Werit:

I have a unit of ten with bows. And you can be sure they’re roll a six for animosity and end up charging a giant unit of Ogre Bulls. sigh