[Archive] Hobgoblin Throwing Knives

Wolf :

Hi all,

Just a rules clarification, I’ve purchased the Warhammer fantasy rule book (digital version) through iBooks.

I’m reasonably new to WFB as I’ve only been playing since February 14, however my question is:

Throwing Knives; in the digital version of the rulebook it states the rule Always Strikes First, however in the hard copy of the rulebook it states quick to fire.

Which is correct?

At my local gaming club I’ve shown them the ASF rule within the digital copy. They have accepted this as it’s the most recent release of the WFB rule book.

:hat off

Malorndk:

ASF makes 0 sense. It’s a ranged weapon that isn’t used i cc. ASF only works in cc. Its just a classic mistake :slight_smile:

Jorma:

ASF makes 0 sense. It's a ranged weapon that isn't used i cc. ASF only works in cc. Its just a classic mistake :)

Malorndk
However, It doesn't specify from where the ASF special rule has to come from for the model to get the benefit? Chaos has a helm that gives the wearer ASF, you don't hit with the helmet but you still get the bonus. So basically according to digital rulebook they would hit first in CC but wouldn't get the benefit of quick fire!

But anyhow, this is clearly a typo.

Wolf :

@Malorndk: I agree with your comment.

I felt guilty using the rule, but the gaming club guys said “it is what it is”.

On the flip side, it really messes with Elf players; they run in and then been told ASF “strike at the same time with no re-rolls” ouch, the jaw just drops. But that’s not how i want to win nor how the game should be played.

Plus we get accused of been a broken army as it is, so I don’t want to give any of them ammunition.

Thanks again.

Wolf :

@Jorma: How do you think this would be read in an Tournament enviroment?

Dînadan:

Don’t have the rulebook to hand, so can’t double check atm, but fairly sure ASF only applies when using that weapon, and as Throwing Knives aren’t a combat weapon, you won’t benefit from the rule in combat - you don’t gain it for all attacks.

It’d be like if you were equipped with a halberd and a great weapon; you only have the ASL rule if you choose to attack with the great weapon - attacks with the halberd are at regular Initiative.

Don’t have the WoC book to check the wording, but have a hunch that the item Jorma mentions specifically says that the wearer gains ASF, whereas with weapons the special rules are tied to the weapon. It’s like the magic banner that gives the unit Armour Piercing gives it to all attacks, but a unit armed with, say Blunderbusses, only has AP with shots fired with the blunderbusses, not with it’s combat attacks (unless it takes the standard).

TheFNG:

Regardless, TK only have QtF. This is something to remember though for Hobgoblin stand and shoot reactions.

Jorma:

@Jorma: How do you think this would be read in an Tournament enviroment?
Alas, as it is, the ASF special rule from warhammer rulebook states that Models with this special rule (or attacking with a weapon with this special rule)... and since you cannot attack with the throwing knifes (they are not close combat weapons) you cannot benefit from the ASF.
Don't have the WoC book to check the wording, but have a hunch that the item Jorma mentions specifically says that the wearer gains ASF, whereas with weapons the special rules are tied to the weapon.  It's like the magic banner that gives the unit Armour Piercing gives it to all attacks, but a unit armed with, say Blunderbusses, only has AP with shots fired with the blunderbusses, not with it's combat attacks (unless it takes the standard).
You are correct about this, the model gets the ASF special rule, was just making a point that the weapon doesn't always have to be the one which gives the rule.