[Archive] Hobgoblin Weapon Selection

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Hi gang!

I am in the process of building/converting the BFSP warriors into Hobgoblins and I’m wondering about their weapon selection.

The traditional GW metal Hobgoblins caried an axe and shield.  Sneaky Gits had 2 knives, but the RH list says the following (In Short):

Heroes -

CD Hero

CD Sorcerer

BC Hero

Hobgoblin Hero

Equipment : Hand Weapon. A Sorcerer may not have other equipment. May have additional hand weapon, or Great Weapon. May have light armor, heavy armour and carry a shield.

A Hobgoblin Hero may ride a wolf

Core units

Hobgoblins

Equipment : Hand Weapon. May have a bow. May have light armour and/or shield. May ride wolves.

Sneaky Gits

Equipment: Two Hand Weapons.

Ok…so after all this, I’m just wondering - do the “Hand Weapons” need to duplicate what the metal mini’s from 1990 held, or can they be any weapon in the rule book on P. 56, such as Morning Stars, Swords, Axes, Clubs, Maces etc.

And what about spears? Can Hobbo’s have them?

Joshmohr:

I’d say no to the spears. But if GW made them with them, then i suppose you could argue against that.

Swissdictator:

A hand weapon is basically a one handed weapon such as a sword, axe, dagger, club, limb, stick, plunger, etc… and small weapon wielded in one hand counts as a hand weapon basically.

No, Hobgobs can’t have spears. I’d like to give them spears, but alas we can’t.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Wish we could as it would be nice to just convert the Nightgoblins without cutting the spears down.

Has anyone built a 2 handed Hobbo Hero?

Maul:

My BFSP goblins that will be hobgoblins with armor and shields will have much more uniform weapons (axes) then the naked hobgoblins. I am not very far along with my armored hobgoblins, but the basic armatures for my my naked hobgoblins looks like this.

CheTralfara:

If all you play are friendly games… then you can likely give them spears and explain to your opponents how ridiculous it is that you can’t give them spears… and hopefully they will let you use the spears… if they don’t… just keep the spears on the models but use them as hand weapons rules-wise and make sure your opponents are aware that they are not spears… but hand weapons rather.

that’s what i’m doing in short… i’m hoping there will be no problems… if there are any… i’ll just re-model the weapons to be axes and other handers

Kera foehunter:

i say use the archer !! You would not have to change anything

Swissdictator:

You could always shave the top of the spear off (down to the hand) and saying they’ve all got walking sticks/canes and are beating their opponents with those. They’re just a bunch of hikers who have finished their trail mix and are out for blood!!! :wink:

For the BfSP Night Gobbos at least. Though I like how yours are coming out Maul.

Kera foehunter:

you cut off the top of the bows off and make them into knifes like for the those sneaky gits

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I’m keeping the archers for range. I had a thought to use tomb king axes. they would look a lot simpler than the regular Dwarf axes. However, I have more Dwarf axes than TK.

Kera foehunter:

it might look cool with stolen dwarf axes

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Without opening all the boxes in my store, I wonder what other army has kool weapons to use.

Kera foehunter:

the elves and axes from the britonia armys empire army

furrie:

chaos has some cool looking weapons

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Thanx guys! I’ll have to consult my GW catalogue to see what they look like.

Kera foehunter:

i think the hobgobins would be a perfect switch with the elves weaponds

Swissdictator:

I honestly think it should be a random smattering of weapons they have stolen, including bones and clubs. I’d emphasize old and batter axes/hammers that are rusted and have been cast off my the Dawi Zharr as the primary weapon.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Yeah Swiss, something they looted from battlegrounds and outdated weapons from the CD’s.

However, the BFSP Night Goblins only allow for a certain “Look” when you’re simply converting them over like I am.

Kera foehunter:

a smattering of weapons is that more than one swiss

Swissdictator:

Kera smattering in the sense there really is no uniformity what-so-ever. Think of how Empire milita are often pictured.

The hobgoblins probably get little to no support for their equipment, but are allowed to freely loot the enemy (and fellow Hobgob) dead for equipment. Plus the Hobgobblins are probably allowed to do looting in general while the Dawi Zharr secure the perimiter, pursue the enemy, pull back to defend, etc… as the Hobgoblins can probably trade the various valuables for equipment with the Dawi Zharr. I could actually see some sort of system where the Hobgoblins turn in various equipment (shiny baubles, rings, weapons to big for them to use, etc) for equipment built by the Dawi Zharr. This would be somewhat effective system for the Dawi Zharr to safely profit from their battlefield successes. Let the Hobgobs do the work… laughs