[Archive] Hobgoblins(1)

Willmark:

Sneaky Gits is the name of the tribe. There are many tribes but one race. Ofh course it depends on how you view hobgoblins whether they are the sneaky, cowardly kind or the DoW kind…

al-hashut:

I think the sneak gits are just another clan aren’t they? I’m no fluffologist so i’m not sure.

I imagine, seeing as they are based somewhat on monguls that there are many seperate clans, each one skilled in a different way…who are maybe occasionally united by a Khan. Did Oglah Khan unite the hobbos at one point? I cant remember the fluff for the DoW character

edit Willmark beat me to the punch :slight_smile:

Thommy H:

Sneaky Gitz are the tribe of Hobgoblins that inhabit Gash Kadrak immediately to the east of the Plain of Zharr. Presumably there are other tribes of Hobgoblins that serve the Chaos Dwarfs, since they aren’t all Sneaky Gitz. The Eastern Steppes are inhabited by more Hobgoblins who are probably also divided into tribes in the same way. The Great Hobgobla Khan is the ruler of all or part of the Hobgoblin nation, with subordinate Khans leading tribes or warbands (Oglah Khan and Ghazak Khan being examples of such).

Some people seem to think you can’t reconcile the DoW fluff with the Chaos Dwarf fluff, but I don’t really see why. Some Hobgoblins live in one place, and some live in a different place. It’s like The Empire and Bretonnia for humans.

cornixt:

Well, CD Hobgoblins and DoW Hobgoblins both lived happily in the fluff in 5th edition, I don’t see how anything has changed since. The current fluff puts the HG as occupying the largest area of land in the world, so there would be thousands of tribes.

Hashut’s Blessing:

To my knowledge, not really. Which, although it means you have no starting points to base things from, byeond the Mongul theme, it does give you great flexibility in how to portray them.

Henroth:

And wath about not to exist Hobgoblins wizards?

If to exist… wath the connect with the CD’s?

Henroth:

How can you trust something that you don't understand

Kera foehunter
Im sorry, i only to aks.
I don't know all upon Chaos Dwarfs, sorry.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Henroth, I don;t think that’s what she meant :wink: I believe she meant how can we trust the hobgoblins if we don;t know all about them :wink:

If I remember rightly, there are Wind wizards and wind summoners within the hobgoblin ranks, but they’re tied to the hobgoblins of the steppes and are completely unrelated to the Chaos Dwarfs.

Henroth:

Henroth, I don;t think that's what she meant ;)

Hashut's Blessing
Uff, anyway I me but calm. And Thanks Hashut's Blessing, for the information :hat off.

slev:

IIRC, there where some Hobgoblins turning up in the 1st edition WFRP book “Something Rotten in Kislev”. They plated-up the Mongul theme, putting great store in the impressiveness of one’s moustache and how big your nose is.

Willmark:

How can you trust something that you don't understand

Kera foehunter
Im sorry, i only to aks.
I don't know all upon Chaos Dwarfs, sorry.

Henroth
Dude love your avatar!

al-hashut:

Seeing as how Ghengis Khan, and later Kublai, conquered China, could it be feasible that maybe one tribe of Hobbos is heavily Cathayan?

Obviously i doubt hobgoblins could establish a warhammeresque Yuan Dynasty, but maybe you get the idea

Maul:

It would be difficult. There would likely be all sorts of issues with infighting, assassinations, and power vacuums (animosity). It may be possible for them to concur, but unlikely for them to rule for long. Thus the advantage of being a Black Orc Warboss, big, mean, and tough. Ruling thorough fear seams the most likely way and I am not seeing that work out well for too long.

Henroth:

Dude love your avatar!

Willmark
Thanks.

And if one coalition of tribes Hobgoblins attack The Dark Lands? :idea
To be Mission suicidal for Hobgoblins?

Thane Godri GoblinSlayer:

I don’t see Sneaky Gitz as a tribe. I just see them as a branch for every tribe, sort of like assassins and the elites. Basically the leaders bodyguard. I see the hobgoblins divided into tribes like orc and goblins.

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

I don’t think that Hobbos are like Gobbos as Gobbos have sub-goblins like hobgoblins, gnoblars, boglars and such but sub-goblins don’t go any further as-far-as-know but as far a clans are concered hobgoblins do have different clans just like NG or forest goblins

Thommy H:

I don't see Sneaky Gitz as a tribe.  I just see them as a branch for every tribe, sort of like assassins and the elites.  Basically the leaders bodyguard.  I see the hobgoblins divided into tribes like orc and goblins.

Thane Godri GoblinSlayer
They're refereed to as a separate tribe in all the fluff.

AGPO:

Definative answer (I can source all this stuff if given time but most of my WD and classic book collection is in storage):

The hobgoblin Khanate occupies a large area in the far East of the Warhammer World, bordering Cathay. These two are perenial foes and hobgoblin raiders have been an issue for the Cathayans since time immemorial. Due to certain pieces of fluff from old rulebooks, WD and the Dogs of War book it is believed that these ‘free’ hobgoblins consist of mounted tribes of wolf riders. Hobgoblin society does not include orcs, and therefore hobgoblins have grown to be much larger and braver than normal goblins (thus their human-like stats). These individual tribes are each led by a Khan (the equivellant of a goblin big boss or warboss) and the Khans themselves owe loyalty to the great Hobgobbla Khan, who rules over all the tribes. The fluff and models take their inspiration from the Mongols. Hobgoblin magic users bind the “wind-daemons” that live in the steepes to practice magic. Although there is nothing written about a belief structure (that I know of) it is unknown whether they worship Gork and Mork, although their very different culture to western greenskins and their use of wind-daemons in riual would suggest they do not. Hobgoblins have been known to hire themselves out as mercenaries, however they are famed for their treachery and this has been portrayed in the 5th edition rules for DoW hobgoblin units.

The hobgoblins that serve the chaos dwarfs represent tribes that, at some point or another, were subjugated and enslaved by the Dawi’zhaar. Due to their service during the black orc rebellion, where they betrayed their fellow slaves and turned the battle, Hobgoblins have attained the status of favoured servants of the Chaos Dwarfs. The Sneaky Git Tribe was a tribe in the service of the Chaos Dwarfs which had an uncommon reputation for treachery even ammongst hobgoblins. The term ‘sneaky gitz’ now encompasses both this original tribe and their immitators. All the hobgoblins serving the chaos dwarfs are effectively now seperate from the Hobgoblins of the steepes, as they are either enslaved or born into servitude.

Hope this answers all your questions

Kera foehunter:

thanks agpo your so sweet!!!

byw tall hat said hi

Henroth:

Always me asked, reason the Hobgoblins not to wear spears :h

If the goblins and skavens, they can to take… Why don’t Hobgoblins?

In the next exit of the new Chaos Dwarfs, Hobgoblins can to take spears.

Im the only that to like this?