[Archive] Hobgoblins(2)

Piccolo:

the 6th ed goblins have really ugly unproportionally big heads which makes them look ridiculous (there’s no way they can balance that on their heads) so i would suggest using the 7th ed goblins though it is more work coz u have to cut the heads off the models

Kera foehunter:

so is there a diffrent between the 6th and 7th goblin heads?

or is the 7th bfsp goblin heads ?? i don’t know

Tarrakk Blackhand:

The other thing to do is file down the Night Goblin hat and make it look more like a hoodie.

Kera foehunter:

well i like shaving down the side of the 6th addition goblins to make there faces thin and longer

they still have the evil smirtk

Swissdictator:

@Kera: I honestly would believe that an evil smirk is as fitting on a Hobgoblin as it is on a regular Goblin.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

And please…forget to brush the teeth!

Piccolo:

so is there a diffrent between the 6th and 7th goblin heads?
or is the 7th bfsp  goblin heads ?? i don't know

Kera foehunter
well there is the difference between night goblins (the 7th ed have much smaller heads), unfortunately we didnt get any new common goblins (except for heroes) in the 7th ed, so there still ugly as hell :D

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I just hate having to paint 60+ of them from BFSP.

Kera foehunter:

spay paint them flat flat black !!

Tarrakk Blackhand:

And then stop there? Night Goblins in the dark, right?

Kera foehunter:

thanks Piccolo !! mr t you can paint yellow eyes and white teeth

DarkWingDuck:

FYI,

The em-4 orcs pictured below are on 1 inch bases. They’d be pretty tough to cut down to 20mm bases (due to their feet position on the base).

I have quite a few from my Fantasy Warrior days.

Converting Hobbos is a big problem… but looking at Xander’s example, I feel that if I can convert up at least 2 HobBows, 2 Hobbos with Shields, and Command, I’ll just cast up the lot.  Barring that Night Gobbos it is…

I have also considered using the EM-4 Orcs though… (I think they’re old Grenadier sculpts)

For the record, just buy the Wolf Rider feet… trying to sculpt even shoes while balancing the armature on the base is just a pain in the rear…

Astranagant

Kera foehunter:

wow those are some nice orcs

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I think I’ll stick with my Yellow skinned Hobo’s. Even though there’s a lot to paint, it will look better if they’re uniform to the army.

I’m sticking with the yellow skin/blue capes and orange wood. My hobo’s have an affinity towards blue things. they consider it “magical”.

CheTralfara:

That is a correct assessment about the 6th edition normal goblin heads being gigantic… i ran into this problem when trying to figure out how to blend hobbo conversions using normal goblins with the ones using BFSP night goblin heads (much smaller heads)… to remedy this problem I’ve decided to make BUFF warrior hobbos (close combat fully armoured hobbos), and naked SLAVE hobbos (archers and armour-less meatshield close combat troops)… The buff hobbos use marauder bodies and the big goblin heads… where the slave hobbos use flaggelant bodies (and brettonian archer bodies for the archers) and night goblin heads… then i also have the sneaky gitz which also use only the night gobbo heads…

So basically I have several tribes of hobbos of varying sizes in my army.

by the way, there are no 7th edition goblins. Only the oversized head 6th ed. ones… Piccolo, you might be referring to the 7th edition night goblins… or even the BFSP ones…

Anyone know if the regiment box of night gobs have the same size heads as the BFSP night gobs?

Oh and there is also the possibility of using 40k gretchin for goblin heads (though I’d bet that’d be more expensive, and the heads might not be seperate.)

.nick

Hulkster:

they do have the same sized heads. infact you only get 2 head I think in the box. all the other night goblins are 1 part except the arms which are still seperate.

Kera foehunter:

well here is some archer i made with gobbo head for hobgoblins
they don’t look that bad

and the next one i did i cut there ears off to thin down the face

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Nice work Kera.

Hulkster…I’ll agree that the Gnoblars are an awesome choice for Hobgoblins, however, I wish GW had the same sculpts in a slightly larger size, between Night Goblins and Orcs.

Funny facts on Hobgoblins - When J.R.R. Tolkien was writting The Lord Of The Rings, he wrote that the improved Goblins were Hobgoblins. These were larger than the Goblins. Later on, someone had told him that Hobgoblins were smaller than regular Goblins, according to the mythology, so Toilken decided to rename his Hobgoblins the Urki-Hai.

However, the “New” myth that Hobgoblins were taller than normal Goblins somehow stuck and now Hobgoblins are taller than regular goblins in GW and other mini’s.

I streached 10 out of the 40 Night Goblin Warriors in BFSP which I’m going to mix with modified regular height Night Goblins. My Hobgoblin army is a mix of younger and older Hobgoblins. (Explaining the height difference).

Kera foehunter:

i tend to do a bunch of diffrent from pygmy hobos to tall ones and even curst undead ones

Hulkster:

That must be why i am always confused when people make Hobgoblins bigger lol

I always think of them as smaller.