[Archive] Hobgoblins locked and loaded!

MOMUS:

How do people usuallt equip their hobgoglin khans?

Im thinking of trying out the mask of ee! on one and the ruby ring on the other.

I think the mask would stack well with my LVL4 on death and the ruby ring would help with chaff (shades/gutter runners/skinks) trying to get at my war machines. The only other anti chaff is the standard two units of bow hobgobs.

I suppose just the 5pt magic sword on each would be useful and cheap way to run them?

Grimbold Blackhammer:

What do you expect your Khan to accomplish in the game? What role do you expect him to play?

MOMUS:

I thought the usual way to use them was as a chaff/chaff hunter

Grimbold Blackhammer:

If your hobgoblin is just a speedbump, all you need is a hobgoblin on a wolf.  If he is being used to kill, a risky proposition at best btw, give him the Shrieking Blade so that he causes Fear and whatever other gear is appropriate to the enemy you are expecting. I don’t think I’ve ever actually given my Khans any equipment before but I’ve heard tales from other gamers that having the Khan run from a Terror-causer stinks so you always want him to at least cause Fear.

MOMUS:

Why is it a risky proposotion? His stats are ok and with a little gear/magic item he could clear out most enemy chaff.

Shrieking blade is a good idea esp Vs ethereal chaff.

Khaas:

So far, I’ve had good experience with wolf, Spear, Shield, and Terrifying Mask of Eee! He’s not too expensive, and a little more durable. He loses Vanguard, but he’s still more mobile than the rest of my army, and absolutely perfect at taking out opposing artillery crew. That’s the main thing I use him for, that and small units of chaff/low LD targets.

Ceann Fine:

So far, I've had good experience with wolf, Spear, Shield, and Terrifying Mask of Eee! He's not too expensive, and a little more durable. He loses Vanguard, but he's still more mobile than the rest of my army, and absolutely perfect at taking out opposing artillery crew. That's the main thing I use him for, that and small units of chaff/low LD targets.

Khaas
Do you really find the +1 to your armour save worth the loss of the 12" move, especially when you say he goes artillery hunting

Alexei:

Just a quick related question, because I have lost my BRB. Are Heroes restricted to 3 instances of each, in the same way as war machines are? I am currently running 3 with my proxy list (while I test units before buying them, as CDs are expensive)