[Archive] How do i remove paint?

WarplockMonkey:

Hey guys! Been away for a while, decided to have a break for a bit, and i have come back on with a problem…

After purchasing a metal dwarf lord ( you know the one with the banner guy) i zharred him up a bit into a chaos stunty

Thing was…by mistake i undercoated him with some really bad gloss paint, which turned out horrible and thick

All that work for nothing i cried! After repeatedly banging my head against my work table i thought to come on here and ask for advice.

I there a way to remove acrillic paint off a model without melting plastic?

Much obliged

Warplock

Malificant:

soak him in simple green for a few days, take a toothbrush to him. after that use a pin to clean out creveces.

Pyro Stick:

You purchased a Metal dwarf lord and want to know how to strip Plastic…

For metal use nitromors, for plastic use brake fluid (ive heard) or simple green. ive only used nitromors and onyl for metal so i dont know how effective the others are. from what ive read nitromors is much faster acting but its only for metal.

wallacer:

Right on. Simple green is the stuff you want to get.

I used that to strip some old plastic skeletons.

zagor66:

White spirits the way to go.:cheers

Malificant:

break fluid is finicky-if you dont time it right you will either not strip the paint good enough, or will turn plastic to jelly. metal brake fluid is fine though.

Kera foehunter:

Simple green is the best!!! and now it comes in lemon fresh for those who has armys that stink…

Canix:

I wonder what the UK equivalent of simple green is anyone know ?:hat

grunts:

for metal I use nail polish remover. Just immerse the model for 15 minutes or so then scrub with a toothbrush. Don’t use it on plastic though, it’ll melt. I also haven’t tried it on green stuff as I’d expect the same result.

wallacer:

[align=left]

I wonder what the UK equivalent of simple green is anyone know ?:hat

Canix

Is it not sold in the U.K.?

[/align]

This is a list of places that sell it:

http://tinyurl.com/36zchh

Some of them have branches in New Zealand, so i’d be surprised if they didn’t have branches in the U.K. too.

AGPO:

What exactly IS simple green?!?!?!

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

for the uk, basicly its oven cleaner, any type from what i understand from warseer

AGPO:

Thanks, that makes things clearer, I’d heard the stuff refered to thousands of times but never knew what it was

Kera foehunter:

its a general house and car cleaner so soak your figures ! Now you have time to clean the house while your figures soak…

WarplockMonkey:

You purchased a Metal dwarf lord and want to know how to strip Plastic.....
The model was based on a metal figure, but i used plastic parts and green stuff

So should i use strong oven cleaner? Wouldnt it melt the green stuff and plastic?

Kyte:

Household spirits does the job for me, and it doesn’t dissolve the plastic at all.

Thanks

- Kyte

Malificant:

easy off oven cleaner will only melt plastic if it sits too long. 3 hours is a good rule of thumb, and then rinse and scrub.

simple green is not an oven cleaner, it is an automotive cleaner.

WarplockMonkey:

Kyte -

By household spirits do you meen like brandy, or stuff like turpentine?

Sorry for the stupid question!

Canix:

its a general house and car cleaner so soak your figures ! Now you have time to clean the house while your figures soak..

Kera foehunter
Cheers:D your as bad as my GF (actually i find housework meditative and enjoy cleansing the house:shy:)

WarplockMonkey:

Hold it!

I have found a really good way, well it worked on mine…

Smother your fig in washing up liquid, and pour boiling water on it

Beware, the water does warp plastics a wee bit, epecially bases, but it cleaned the greenstuff and metal really well!

A cheap way of removing paint!

PS: Wow i got 2 slaves! Where did they come from…:S