[Archive] How do you browse CDO? - Thanks! Now I need your suggestions!

Malorn:

New post -> find interseting titles, open them al in new taps from where i last read -> read the new stuff in the topic before closing the tap and movin on to the next tap.

Loki:

I mainly use the View new posts/View Today's posts. Unless I really need to find a specific topic then I'll search via the section.

Shakhorth
I do exactly the same:P

warh
quote :)

Bassman
Same here :)

slev:

I use “view new posts”, unless I need to find something specific, where I’ll just search for it.

Clinkz:

I use "view new posts", unless I need to find something specific, where I'll just search for it.

slev
same with myself, most days i can really only check CDO once so its good to get a nice list of all the posts over the last 24 hours :)

vulcanologist:

I constantly check “view new posts”… Far too many times each day than is healthy!

Thommy H:

Wow, apparently I’m in the minority for just browsing down the page and seeing what’s blue.

Xander:

I fear the problem with only looking at “Today’s Posts” is that some threads get forgotten about.

So I am coming up with some new additions. My initial thoughts are these:

New Threads (list of threads by creation date)

This Week’s Posts (an extended version of Today’s Posts to give more to look at)

Popular Threads This Month (Either Most Viewed or most replies, or Replies + Views

Bassman:

S…ugar! I read the sentence in a wrong way. I do always check the CDO forums main page to see what’s going on. Yes, I do prefer thread with news but I like to waste time with old thread.

I strongly suggest people to watch old threads… there treasures hidden in this website! And everybody of us knows how much dwarfs like treasures… :-DDDDD

Vash:

Wow, apparently I'm in the minority for just browsing down the page and seeing what's blue.

Thommy H
you're not alone... as that is the exact same way i check the forums.

Willmark:

Every week or so I drop by to see if I owe Willmark a column and ban/delete all the spammers on the wiki.

Ancient History
Heh. Awesome.

NERD ALERT: Xander and I are the only ones who voted for RSS. too funny.

cornixt:

I use RSS for the wiki (must find a way to stop spammer from registering on that), never for the regular forum since I tend to go through most of them anyway.

Ronshank:

Until I noticed today’s posts I always used to just click on the topics and forums that had new stuff in them. Now I do ‘todays posts’ followed by going straight to my favorite sections eventually checking everything out but if not just the new posts. A todays posts system with more threads from thoughout the week sounds awesome to me as thats kind of what I’m looking for when I search the threads. I also like replying to topics with a low number of replys or just kind of helping if I can. But it does depend on me checking the topics out which I do more now with the todays posts section as I end up looking at things that I wouldn’t have looked at before. My only problem with the todays posts system is that depending on when I log on all the stuff relevent to me in the last 24 hours can be reset before I get to notice them just because of the living on the other side of the world and having a different date thing. It’s why I have to trawl though the forum sections to find out if I missed important stuff (which I have a few times)

edited to add this;

Bassman I think I misunderstood too. My bookmark for this site is the main page. To get to the forums I always have to click the forums tab on the sites nav bar. I like doing it this way because I like downloading the e-zine and radio shows and this is the best way to know when there are new ones and anything else thats going on like contests. It would be too easy to overlook this stuff if I simply bookmarked the forums only.

slev:

The reason I do what I do is simple: for me web boards are a replacement for email discussion lists of old. They where much much easier for me to use, but web boards/fora seem to attract greater followings, so who knows.

Regardless, everything has moved over to Fora now, I’m just old-school.

snowblizz:

Regardless, everything has moved over to Fora now, I'm just old-school.

slev
A stubborn few fools cling on... I am among them. Forums (yes I purposefully am not using the correct declination(sic?), because a Internet forum is very different from a town square...) have many advantages but for ease of use I rate e-mail higher.

Fequiil:

Wow, apparently I'm in the minority for just browsing down the page and seeing what's blue.

Thommy H
maybe we are Thommy, maybe we're just too lousy to find the other ways out.
i am, for sure.

zobo1942:

One thing that I think would be really convenient would be if there were a way to mark a thread as a ‘watched thread’ which you could designate after viewing it. There could be an option at the top of the screen (say, beside ‘View today’s posts’) which could be ‘My Watched Threads’, which would display these threads.

This would allow members to check for updates to the topics you are interested in very easily. Just a thought!

nitroglysarine:

NERD ALERT: Xander and I are the only ones who voted for RSS. too funny.

Willmark
well..... i may have to confess... ;P

Kered:

I follow the trail of blue magic arrows .I hope someday to fine a pot of gold at the end or maybe a ginger bread house.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I fear the problem with only looking at "Today's Posts" is that some threads get forgotten about.

So I am coming up with some new additions. My initial thoughts are these:

New Threads (list of threads by creation date)
This Week's Posts (an extended version of Today's Posts to give more to look at)
Popular Threads This Month (Either Most Viewed or most replies, or Replies + Views

Xander
To be honest, unless you have a crash/close the window/leave the website/take over an hour or more/etc, the View New Posts shows you EVERYthing that's been replied to since you were last online, which pretty much means that if others are talking in it, it will appear, so only ones that go dead are the ones that get left for so long. However, the next quote from zobo, is right on the mark in terms of trying to prevent threads from going silent quite so much because you can click on that and add anything you think of later or look at things from days gone by etc.
One thing that I think would be really convenient would be if there were a way to mark a thread as a 'watched thread' which you could designate after viewing it. There could be an option at the top of the screen (say, beside 'View today's posts') which could be 'My Watched Threads', which would display these threads.

This would allow members to check for updates to the topics you are interested in very easily. Just a thought!

zobo1942
Excellent idea, dude! that would, IMO, be the most useful option other than View New Posts. Use View New Posts to see what's been happening since you last logged in and use My Watched Threads to "favourite" threads that you know you'll keep going back to, even once posting in them stops (meaning they stop arriving in you View New Posts link).