[Archive] How many wide?

Yodrin:

If u chose to take 6 BC or 6 Fireborn, how wide do u make them?

3 wide x 2 ranks, or 4 wide first rank x 2 wide second rank?

Btw, anyone tried 9 of any of them in one unit? or is it just a point sink?

Thommy H:

I’m not sure why you wouldn’t put them in two ranks of three, since that many is required for a rank bonus, and they can still make all their Attacks because of the Monstrous Support rule. Putting four in the front rank gains you nothing.

Yodrin:

I just wondered what people do :expressionless:

If i where to put them wider, it would be to get the extra stomp attacks when i engage a horde.

Thommy H:

Yes, I forgot about Stomp. Still, I think most people would go for the rank bonus instead.

JMR:

Yes, there’s the bonus of a stomp, but more importantly I would go 3 wide to make your unit easier to manoeuvre and reduce the amount of return attacks, especially vs. a horde.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

It depends on the unit itself and the enemy I am facing…

-  a unit of three centaurs and a centaur hero will be two wide with the hero and champ in the front to minimize casualties

-  a unit of more than three centaurs will be three wide

-  I consider a unit of K’daii Fireborn’s minimum viable unit size to be 6 models which I generally run only three-wide.  Unless they are against a squishy T3 low armour save enemy in which case I’ll go wider to try and get more in base contact at a time.

Grimbold Blackhammer

frogbear:

Monstrous support is only for monstrous infantry so BC do not get it - just in reply to Thommy’s post.

Its a shame because BC could really use the rule.

Otherwise as said above, moving 4 BC wide is extremely annoying - so three wide for myself for them

My Fireborn I take in a frontage of 3, however I do like the idea of a 4 frontage vs T3 opponents. May have to look at combat reforming in future - if my 2nd rank has survived…

Geist:

When it comes to BC, they suck so much offense wise that the only way I can ever see to run them is thusly:

3 wide with shields and musicians in a group of 3.

Purpose:

To hunt down annoying units that normal khans or wolves could not handle. Also to provide support for skull cracker in case it gets stuck into cav.

frogbear:

When it comes to BC, they suck so much offense wise that the only way I can ever see to run them is thusly:
3 wide with shields and musicians in a group of 3.
Purpose:
To hunt down annoying units that normal khans or wolves could not handle.  Also to provide support for skull cracker in case it gets stuck into cav.

Geist
I go with GW myself as their strength is less than desirable for the point sink. Whatever they hit, I want them to hurt. They can 'usually' take the offesive hits first if they are attacking the correct unit.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I didn’t realize until Frogbear pointed it out that Bull Centaurs not in the front rank go from their already unacceptable two attacks per model to just one. So long beautiful models; you’ll never see the light of day again!

Grimbold Blackhammer

frogbear:

Grimbold, I still they they are worth it if only to get the Taur’ruk.

He is pretty much the 2nd Special Character that we never got.

:hashut

Thommy H:

Monstrous Beasts and Cavalry get Monstrous Support too. It was in the very first Rulebook FAQ.

frogbear:

Monstrous Beasts and Cavalry get Monstrous Support too. It was in the very first Rulebook FAQ.

Thommy H
I am sure it has been said before but..... Thommy is da man! :hat off