[Archive] How to paint fire

DarkEden:

Hi, I’m doing something like a fire daemon of hashut for a warshrine but I don’t know how to paint fire to make it look real.

Any advice please?

Thommy H:

The key thing is to highlight in reverse. Start with a white basecoat, then mix in a little Sunbust Yellow and slowly work your way up to orange. Mix in some black with your orange to do the final “highlight”, and finish up with pure black on the very tips of the flames.

Baggronor:

Yep, Thommy is the boss when it comes to painting fire.

Also, don’t be afraid to highlight really quite harshly, a lot of my early attempts at fire ended up just too orange all over, whereas what you want is strong gradation from white hot in the middle to orangey darkness at the tips.

Be wary of mixing in red too, as it can turn it all pink. Not good.

Thommy H:

Yeah, don’t use red at all (except in the context of orange) - it produces a really cartoonish look. I made that mistake quite a few times before I realised what was wrong. I’m not nearly as good as Baggronor implies, but here’s some examples of my technique used relatively successfully:

And it works in other colours too!

Again, the trick is to just highlight in reverse.

Abecedar:

Perfect timing, my son wants to do a Fire Portal and guess who its up to to figure it out. Thanks Heaps for the question and the answers.

rabotak:

many thanks for the tips guys, i got the hang of painting lava (according to my skills) but i never seemed to get fire right!

Zanko:

Some time ago I found a tutorial how to paint fire!

1st the theory and 2nd the practice!

It might help you too! :hat off

:hashut

DarkEden:

thank you all, it’ll be very useful ^^

Bolg:

Very useful (especially the “dont use red” part). It wasnt my question but I’m very happy with the answer.

Bassman:

This is exactly the tutorial I use.

But Tommy H’s suggestion about not using red is a great idea :slight_smile:

I’d give a try in my next fires…

Some time ago I found a tutorial how to paint fire!

1st the theory and 2nd the practice!

It might help you too! :hat off

:hashut

Zanko

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Actually that sword with the blue fire in Thommys post is absolutely brilliantly painted. Wow. :o