[Archive] How to spend your 25% on core?

asur81:

For a 2500pt list would it be better to have a unit of 50 IG hand weapon shield horded out with a Castellan, or two units of 25 that are 5 wide. The plan is to build a bunker with a crap load of war machines behind them to blow opponents off the table. I figured 50 man unit would hold and preform better, but the 25 man one gives you some different options on handling problems.

Whats your guys opinion?

BABIS:

i use both the big horde and the 2 stubborn unit (castellan + prophet with crown), it depends on the rest of the list :wink:

Fuggit Khan:

BABIS is correct, it really depends on the rest of your list.

Honestly, I would not go with a 50 man bunker unit. Lots of points all tied up in one spot that just begs for magic and templates all thrown at it. Your war machines will deal out some punishment for 1 or 2 turns, then they’ll be out of the game if you’re playing against any savvy opponent, due to lack of support from smaller more flexible units.

Again, it comes down to your list and play style…but I personally relish going against armies that are designed as a single bunker.

asur81:

BABIS is correct, it really depends on the rest of your list.
Honestly, I would not go with a 50 man bunker unit. Lots of points all tied up in one spot that just begs for magic and templates all thrown at it. Your war machines will deal out some punishment for 1 or 2 turns, then they'll be out of the game if you're playing against any savvy opponent, due to lack of support from smaller more flexible units.
Again, it comes down to your list and play style...but I personally relish going against armies that are designed as a single bunker.

Fuggit Khan
Well without going into to much detail because I am kind of private with my list.

I have a Lv4 Prophet with lore of hasut, and tooled out for combat
Castellan as my BSB
3 Daemonsmiths lore of death and metal

48 IG hand weapon shield with razor standard  (Prophet & Castellan in unit)

2 Deathshriekers
2 Magma cannons
2 Hellcannons

for 2498

The strategy is to put the 48 IG unit in the middle two hellcannons protecting both flanks and the other warmachines stay in the back. Its a very shooty list, and with 4 stone throwers should be great against the  Daemon Prince list in WOC. I do worry a bit about magic especially a purple sun would be terrible.
I also find that if I start back a few inches from my deployment line most of the time I can get an extra turn of shooting before combat, so maybe 2 to 3 turns which should be all I need. With 4 drops I will always be getting plus one to go first in standard games so a good chance of 3 turns of shooting.

So should I split the unit up, but if I do I can't have the benefit of the Castellan in both and the razor standard.