[Archive] How to strip down Plastics?

Draconis:

So I have 33 Plastic Chaos Dwarf Warriors…

These were bought ages ago. And sadly, most of them…are painted already. I say sadly because…as you all will see when I post pictures of all of my models later on in the evening…you will notice one, undeniable universal truth.

The paint jobs are TERRIBLE!!!

I mean, rend your eyes out of your sockets with your own fingers terrible…

So the question now lies thusly. How do SAFELY, and I mean SAFELY, with NO DAMAGE to the model, strip off the paint from these minis?

Thommy H:

I’ve heard dettox works without damaging plastic. Haven’t tried it myself though.

Dracomancer:

Oven cleaner should do the trick, i’ve used supermarket-brand stuff on plastic chaos warriors and it works perfectly, it weakens the glue joins though, so you will most likely end up with all the original parts, as though they have just come of the sprue, which IMO, is a good thing (terrible glue jobs on some of my old models >.< )

wallacer:

In New Zealand we have a cleaning product called simple green.

I’m not sure if it’s available where you live, but that strips plastic fine.

I’ve also hear anecdotally that brake fluid does the job even better.

Draconis:

Yeah, I’ve used simple green in the past, works wonders. Just takes forever to soak in. WHen I lived in Nebraska it was very easy to find it. Not sure about the Illinois area.

I think I am going to take a look for that, it’s worked in the past and if you say it works on plastics (only used it on metals) Then I will use it as well, as I believe Simple Green by its very nature is pretty darn harmless.

Brake Fluid OTOH is very expensive, and simple green or oven cleaner is far cheaper solution.

Thanks for the tips guys. :slight_smile:

Lepreh Khan:

I say simple green. When I soaked a bunch of plastics in it to remove some unwanted paint, I was very happy when the black primer stayed on the models and all the paint washed away. It was like a miracle because I had only 4 days before a Tourney and I needed them painted.

-LK

catbarf:

Use Simple Green, for the simple reason that it WILL NOT damage your plastic models. Use it.

And please, post pics of the painting! I need all the confidence I can get! :wink:

Ingrown:

Thank for the simple green thing, i don’t know if you can get it in england but other oven cleaner should work, this is really useful as pretty much all the model i buy are second hand, theres a market about an hour away from me every Saturday where a guy buys and sells second hand models, where ive picked up some really old renegade models real cheap. He prices them according to paint job and size so i could pick up any old chaos dwarves (even big hats) cheap and strip bad paint off, then sell what i don’t want to you guys cheap to cover my costs. sorry ive sort of high jacked this thread.

torn:

nail varnish remover mixed with a bit of water probs 75/25 in small doses, then just rubbed on lightly should remove it fairly quickly. harsh brushing with it will damage the plastic. the actual chemical that melts the plastic is called acetone, and should be avoided unless watered down.

Kobarf:

You can also get nail polish remover without aceton. This does the trick nicely too, but make sure it’s without aceton otherwise you’ll have a new spawn for your chaos army…

Kobarf

torn:

also forgot to mention dont tell your wife/girlfriend/female-housemate that you are borrowing her nail varnish remover for using on your models. she is not likely to be impressed lol.

Draconis:

also forgot to mention dont tell your wife/girlfriend/female-housemate that you are borrowing her nail varnish remover for using on your models. she is not likely to be impressed lol.

torn
LMFAO actually I think she'd understand. You see, I consider myself Lucky. My Girlfriend I have hooked into the hobby and she is starting up an Eldar army for Warhammer 40k. Plus she is a major geek and a Girl Gamer. Rare though they be I managed to find one! :cheers

She'd actually probably just laugh at me and then nod in some understanding...and in her head go..."Gods he's freaking weird"

Sousunou:

I use brake fluid just cant be doing with the oven cleaner method which didnt work for me.

My Girlfriend I have hooked into the hobby and she is starting up an Eldar army for Warhammer 40k

Draconis
same with me - except mine collects wood elves :rolleyes:

AGPO:

My local hobby store sells a “plastic model paint stripper” which I’m going to trial. I’ll let you know the results

Kera foehunter:

simple green like wallaces said .that the best stuff out there

Steven:

Good to know! Thanks all! I have a lot of paint stripping to do on a lot of bad paint jobs. My army is mostly collected from other people as well and some of the painting is extraordinary, while some of it…well…let’s just say my 9 year old would probably do better blindfolded with a can of spray paint.