[Archive] Immortals idea?

Grimstonefire:

After watching that 300 clip of the immortals it got me thinking, what about having them with an additional hand weapon either completely instead of, or as an option along with great weapons? They would have Stone armour (3+ armour save, no shields).

Its not exactly following the [wiki]Grudge Bearer[/wiki]��description, but it would look really nice. Interestingly though, ‘large bladed axes’ doesn’t necessarily have to mean great weapons…

This would be a really tough unit! :mask

itcamefromthedeep:

—After having seen the movie last night, I thought exactly the same thing. However, we should not let the sheer awesomeness of 300 get the better of us.

(with booming voice) This is not Sparta, THIS IS THE PLAIN OF ZHARR!

Grimstonefire:

Just typing as i think;

Imagine a line up of 40 Immortals by 40 deep marching into battle in perfect order.��As they get nearer to the enemy they pull the twin axes off their backs and charge forwards…

Interestingly, I had already thought long ago that a historical battle based on 300 Immortals holding a mountain pass against a huge marauder or hobgoblin force would be effective for the timeline.��The Battle of Thermopylak :slight_smile:

Revlid:

While I think Greatweapons are a much more “Dwarfish” weapon, Additional Handweapons could also be interesting.

Although I’m torn. Visually, the Immortals of 300 are far closer to how I imagine Ziggurat Guard, although their masks would be more personalised. Clad in black robes with only the more prominent parts of their armour visible, each warrior a daemon-masked zealot, hellbent on protecting the Sorcerer-Priest, making no sound save for perhaps a war-chant to Hashut.

The Immortals, on the other hand, are elite warriors in black armour, totally utilitarian and blank. Each armour plate, each helm, turned out to the exact same specifications. Utterly loyal and professional, following their Overlord’s orders to the very letter.

Bah.

Revlid:

Interestingly, I had already thought long ago that a historical battle based on 300 Immortals holding a mountain pass against a huge marauder or hobgoblin force would be effective for the timeline.��The Battle of Thermopylak :)

Grimstonefire
Sorry for the double post, but can I say how badly I feel Chaos Dwarfs fit the "outnumbered but defiant to the end" role when they could have the "arrogant enslaving force with vast numbers of slave conscripts" role instead?

One of Xerxes' lines is "cruel Leonidas demanded that you stand. I only require that you kneel." Tell me you can't imagine that coming from the mouth of a High Sorcerer or Overlord as he speaks to a Hobgoblin traitor of a slave rebellion.

Zorgoth:

Hmm… I’m writing a CD story, I might just add that line in, but it won’t be a hobgob that is the traitor, it’ll be much worse…

Father Grumpmas:

I haven’t read the Gav Thorpe novel so my comments are a bit un-informed but I would quite like to see the following for CD’s

The Ziggeraut Guard - same as the longbeards for Dwarves - extra point of ST and WS. A core choice but 0-1 to reflect that there are not actually that many Chaos Dwarfs around so the tougher ones are quite rare. Same equiment options as normal warriors apart from Blunderbusses.

The Immortals - a special choice but 0-1. Same WS and ST as the Ziggeraut guard but an extra point of toughness to reflect just how solid and stoney they are. They get the stone armour (chaos armour) and a great weapon - no options for sheilds or extra weapons. They have the dwarf relentless rule and are immune to psychology.

If the army contains a Sorceror Lord and they join the unit, the whole unit causes fear.

I think these rules would make an interesting unit but points cost would have to reflect the ability. The other option would to be replace the fear option with stubborn. I like the fear idea as it is more chaotic than stubborn, which is very normal dwarf-like.

cornixt:

S4 T5 4+Save?! Add in immune to psych and potential to cause fear?

So these are going to cost 25pts per model then…

Father Grumpmas:

S4 T5 4+Save?!��Add in immune to psych and potential to cause fear?

So these are going to cost 25pts per model then...

cornixt
The T5 is probably over the top - I just like idea of the rank and file T5 troop type (like the Embalmed Ones in the Army of the Cairns list).
Even at T4 these guys would still cost something like a Chaos Warrior with a mark, great weapon, and the chaos armour, so they would break the 20 pt cost and then some.

I like the idea that the best of Hashuts troops would be the strength level of a chosen marked warrior of chaos, but it would probably mean they would get used as much i.e. not a lot.

oboudd:

those things would be very cool and fun to use

Theory_Man:

Immortals

M WS BS S T I Ld

3 4 4 3 5 2 9

Save 5+/4+

heavy armor, shield and halberd

Special rules: slow to move (2D6-2 to rout), tall hats (stubborn so long as a hero/lord is attached to the unit), grenades (as a charge reaction immortals may throw grenades into one charging unit, roll a D6 for each complete rank after 1st [max of 3], the charging unit takes that may S3 hits)

Theory_Man:

Immortals

M��WS�� BS����S����T����I�� Ld
3����4���� 4���� 3����5����2�� 9

Save 5+/4+
heavy armor, shield and halberd

Special rules: slow to move (2D6-2 to rout), tall hats (stubborn so long as a hero/lord is attached to the unit), grenades (as a charge reaction immortals may throw grenades into one charging unit, roll a D6 for each complete rank after 1st [max of 3], the charging unit takes that may S3 hits)

Theory_Man
Attack 1 and wounds 1 too and the slow to move should state 2D6-2 to flee and pursuit rolls

Willmark:

grenades (as a charge reaction immortals may throw grenades into one charging unit, roll a D6 for each complete rank after 1st [max of 3], the charging unit takes that may S3 hits)

Theory_Man
Nahhhh, don't this fits the character of Immortals...

dedwrekka:

Interestingly, I had already thought long ago that a historical battle based on 300 Immortals holding a mountain pass against a huge marauder or hobgoblin force would be effective for the timeline. The Battle of Thermopylak :)

Grimstonefire
Sorry for the double post, but can I say how badly I feel Chaos Dwarfs fit the "outnumbered but defiant to the end" role when they could have the "arrogant enslaving force with vast numbers of slave conscripts" role instead?

One of Xerxes' lines is "cruel Leonidas demanded that you stand. I only require that you kneel." Tell me you can't imagine that coming from the mouth of a High Sorcerer or Overlord as he speaks to a Hobgoblin traitor of a slave rebellion.

Revlid
The thing is that Chaos Dwarfs really wouldn't use slaves in battle, because they use them for so many other things such as building their cities and as sacrifices to their gods. Unless they change the direction of Chaos Dwarfs they really have as little reason to use their Slaves in battle as the Dark Elves. And yes I know there's a story of the Dark Elves sending their slaves to slaughter on a battlefield, but it was only because they were ambushed after a slave-raid and the slaves themselves were holding them back.

If they ever move from purely slave-collecting and relying on their slaves to megalomaniac force bent on enslaving the entire world in one go, then yes, they might very well decide to sacrifice slaves on the battlefield.

Oh, and I'd like to point out that real Immortals of Persia used a long spear and shield. The spear itself was capped at the back with a counter-weight to allow better balance, the counter-weight earned them the nickname "Apple Bearers" as it looked like they were carrying golden apples on their spears.

Canix:

The historic immortals also had bows,not really chaos dwarf at all whereas the immortals from 300 are evil and dwarfy!

Imo the extra troop types suggested would be great to add character and variety for our CD warrior types:hat

dedwrekka:

There’s also the option of essentially just using the Chaos Chosen rules and options but -1 Movement, -1 Attack, following Dwarf rules for movement, and probably -5 to -10 points . Representing the top of the litter of Chaos dwarfs and the pinnacle of status for non-magic warriors. Those that are allowed to wear the coveted obsidian plate blessed by the fires of Hashut’s Altar in Zharr-Naggrund.

grunts:

I hope nobody minds if I put out an idea here:

Immortals…?pts

M WS BS S T W I A Ld

4�� 5�� 3��4��4 1 2 1��9

Save 4+

Equipment: great weapons, granite armour(chaos armour)

Special Rules:

Stunty (flee/pursue 2d6-1)

Elite Guard (stubborn as long as Army General is in the unit)

Cursed Blades of the Immortals (Killing Blow)

I’m not sure whether or not this would be too overpowering.��I supposed the granite armour could be changed to just heavy armour, I do like the killing blow ability as the [[Grudge Bearer]] novel mentioned “the enchanted gromril of the Ironbreakers” was matched against “the cursed blades of the Immortals”.

ashur:

Immortals.................?pts
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
4�� 5�� 3��4��4 1 2 1��9
Save 4+
Special Rules:

I'm not sure whether or not this would be too overpowering.��I supposed the granite armour could be changed to just heavy armour, I do like the killing blow ability as the [[Grudge Bearer]] novel mentioned "the enchanted gromril of the Ironbreakers" was matched against "the cursed blades of the Immortals".

grunts
The granit armour seems to much for a unit with an already strong attack. The elite guard rule fit perfectly in the background. I'm not sure about the killing blow. Sound fine for a special unit but might overshadow other units.

I'm tired of seeing persians getting killed by half naked greeks!! it seems that this is the only thing ther good at. If there is a movie as crazy as 300, why not making a film in wich the persians finnaly win.

grunts:

Immortals.................?pts
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
4 5 3 4 4 1 2 1 9
Save 4+
Special Rules:

I'm not sure whether or not this would be too overpowering. I supposed the granite armour could be changed to just heavy armour, I do like the killing blow ability as the [[Grudge Bearer]] novel mentioned "the enchanted gromril of the Ironbreakers" was matched against "the cursed blades of the Immortals".

grunts
OOPS, I mean Move 3..haha woopsie :cheers

dedwrekka:

I'm tired of seeing persians getting killed by half naked greeks!! it seems that this is the only thing their good at. If there is a movie as crazy as 300, why not making a film in which the persians finnaly win.

ashur
They did, it's called 300. The Persians won the field and the battle, they just happened to lose the war, and their units just happened to be quite a bit worse at fighting on Greek territory than the Greeks were. Considering that the Greeks were fighting one another constantly over that very same ground it seems only fitting. It also just so happens that when it came to rank versus rank fighting, the Spartans were nigh on unbeatable. They really did tear through the Persian Immortals, slaughter the Persians sent at them, and end up killing many times their numbers.

The Persians did however happen to conquer northern Africa, Mesopotamia, and parts of southern Asia, but there's only a really fringe market internationally for movies where the big invading monarchy defeats the small country (Unless it's the British).