[Archive] indecicive on lists

Allanp:

hey guys.

right so basically i have been a member for a couple weeks now and looking round the conversions and reading some of the advice written has got me substantialy ( and scarily ) hooked in a short amount of time. so :hat off to you all.

so onwards. i have been jotting down some ideas for army lists and these are the three i have come up with.

#1.

hero -

Chaos Dwarf Sorceror - level 1 (65pts)

core -

12 Chaos Dwarf Warriors - Banner (118pts)

10 Chaos Dwarf Warriors - Blunderbuss (120pts)

10 Hobgoblins - Wolves (110pts)

special -

Death Rocket - (80pts)

hero -

Chaos Dwarf Hero - Heavy armour, shield (66pts)

core -

10 Chaos Dwarf Warriors - Great weapons (110pts)

special -

Death Rocket - (80pts)

hero -

Chaos Dwarf Sorceror - level 1 (65pts)

core -

10 Hobgoblins - Wolves (110pts)

10 Hobgoblins - Bows (30pts)

16 Hobgoblins - (32pts)

those are my ideas. i was hoping i could get some advice on which is the better and what to change. i seem to work better when i have something to aim towards. thank you in advance for your opinions and advice:)

:cheers to all!!!

Ubertechie:

Alan

Glad you feel at home here :slight_smile:

I assume you are playing 500points - at that level warmachines (in my opinion) are a bit of a waste of time so can I suggest the following list

Dwarf Sorcerer Level 2 - 100 points (you want level 2 as with a level 1 you generate 3 power dice but can only use 2 of them )

20 Warriors with full command = 210

12 blunderbusses (4*3) = 144

20 hobgoblins = 40 points

= 494 points and gives you a decent combat unit , a good shooting unit and a light weight throwaway unit that can hold its own against light opponents - some people will tell you to use 2 units of 10 rather than 1 unit of 20 hobgoblins but that is purely personal preference>

Hope that helps - BTW what part of the UK are you in ?

Allanp:

thats some good help thanks :cheers

well when i am at uni i am in Bangor in north wales. but i hail from the midlands just outside coventry. thats where i stay for the summer months anyway ha ha

Maul:

Ubertechie’s list is pretty sound. The only thing that I might change (very small) is drop the camp in the warriors and add a musician in the blunderbusses.

If you wanted to go with a chaos dwarf hero, I would take the hero with the armor of Gaz for 30 and a great weapon. I don’t have my PDF in front of me, but I think that is 96 points so you can pick-up two more hobgoblins in the near future.

I struggle a little bit more when you get down to 500 point games. You are locked into your core choices and you do not have much of a chance to use the special and rare choices. When you get up to 750, your options will really expand, and as you hit 1,000 points the army does pretty good there. As you add points you are going to want to add one or two hobgoblin bolthrowers and I would consider the 5 bullcentaurs before the earthshaker. I think you will learn the army play style better with bullcentaurs and save the shaker for later (with the bolthowers it makes you too static). I will probably take some heat for that last statement. A unit of 5 bullcentaurs and two bolthrowers will run you 165 points.

Ubertechie:

Mail

I have to agree with you re the bullcentaurs over the earthshaker. I never use one below 2000 points despite owning 2 of them but I always include a unit of 6 bullcentaurs whenever points allow. I suggested the champ so he could take challenges instead of the sorcerer but either option is equally valid :wink:

Allanp:

thanks guys. this is really useful stuff :cheers

Ubertechie:

We do try and help although you need to find your own style over time as all of our advice is based around our own styles

BilboBaggins:

At 500 points it depends which ruleset you are using (Normal, Flash, Warband).

Flash and Warband rules allow you to use unit champions as generals.

I usually don’t take magic casters in small games, it’s usually a non-issue. I’ve only had one game decided by a magic caster (fragging Skink Priest and the COMET).

If you are following Flash/Warband rules I would go with:

15 warriors heavy armor handweapon shield Champion (General) and standard. - 155

21 Blunderbuss - 252

5 Hobgoblin w/bows - 25

5 Hobgoblin w/bows - 25

21 Naked Hobgoblins. - 42

499 points

Normal Rules.

Choas Dwarf Hero Heavy Armor/Additional Hand Weapon/Shield - 70

15 Chaos Dwarf Warriors Hand Weapon/Shield/Standard/Muscian - 155

10 Hobgoblins w/bow - 50

10 Hobgoblins w/bow - 50

10 Hobgoblin wolf riders w/shield - 120

27 naked Hobgoblins - 54

499 points.

Allanp:

i hadnt heard of the flash or warband type of rules before. have only ever played the normal rules as have only really played against friends and family at home.

that is a good point about the personal playing style. after being a VC player for a good while i use magic quite heavily. hmm this will take some thinking. actually having substantial combet core units instead of skeletons…

Ubertechie:

Allan

One of the strengths of all dwarfs is rugged heavily armoured combat units that can take charges and win combat through attrition. You need chunky units to do this - normally you would always take 25 however at 500 points 20 is acceptable. The biggest risk is losing combat to an outnumbering fear causing unit - the blunderbusses are ideal for destroying undead, s5 hits will kill lightly armoured t3 troops with ease and with a wizard of your own you can do further damage in your own magic phase and hamper your opponent magic phase and hence his ability to get back his losses caused by your missiles / magic

Allanp:

yeah i can attest to that. also with some bad rollin gon my part but i remember charging a unit of 20 ironbreakers with three units of knights of the realm. 1 with 8 knights, one with 4 and the other with 5 i think. they lost minimal. killed more in return and made all of my units flee!!!1!!

that was a huge gain in reputation for dwarfs with me!

thanks ubertechie. i shall take your advice i think and now start to gather all the needed bits and pieces and can get on with modelling :slight_smile:

:cheers :hat off

Swissdictator:

We do try and help although you need to find your own style over time as all of our advice is based around our own styles

Ubertechie
Quoted for truth! This is very well put.

I'm thinking as to the original post I might go with #3... though the points on your Hobgob archers are off I think. I'd probably swap out the wolfriders to beef up the CD units.

BilboBaggins:

Hobgoblin 2 points, bow 3 points so HobGob with bow is 5 points. I use lots of Hobgobs with bows.

Allanp:

oh yeah. sorry bout that. now that you mention it i can see. oooops :slight_smile:

Auretious Taak:

Ubertechie
Quoted for truth! This is very well put.

Swissdictator
Seconded...some of us actually have crazy styles that may not win as often as a much more conventional army but occasionally smacking down 500-700 Hob Goblins at 2,000 points is always worth the look of horror on your opponents face, even if they are borrowed/subbed/papered units haha! :D

Allanp:

ha ha yeah i can see what you mean. a green tide of hobgoblins swarming towards. kinda puts a rather large smile on ones face ha ha

although as a straight off preference i think i would like to concentrate on a predominantly CD army. there is just something that makes me want to focus on them slightly more. i dont like the idea of mercenary anything although i do use them as they do have a use. hmmmm i suppose that explains the brettonian side of me :slight_smile:

Border Reiver:

Mercenaries are very useful - they divert attention away from what is really coming at them.

And occasionally, they can win their points back.