[Archive] Infernal Fireglaive Rangers

JonJon:

:ideaI thought this would be a good idea ,I would use the upgrade from the dwarf book,1 pt upgrade to ranger. So what do you think

Jon

Thommy H:

And what does that upgrade grant, exactly?

JonJon:

Sorry gives them the scout rule ,hidden set per dwarf book

Thommy H:

Oh right, yeah. Probably 2 points/model for Infernal Guard because of their better armour save and nasty gun - I wouldn’t want that unit popping out at me unexpectedly.

Do you have a background justification for it though? What is this rule representing in the case of Infernal Guard? Dwarf Rangers are a pretty specific part of the background and fit well with the idea of Dwarfs living in wilderness areas (by human standards). Chaos Dwarfs fight in legions though - massive bodies of troops in phalanxes just marching across the landscape. Any scouting is carried out by Hobgoblins. Is there some specific concept you want to create some rules for, or is it just a bit of mixing things up for the hell of it?

JonJon:

This is my thought  CDs on slave raids dont want to relie on hobgoblins  to scout,so they would hire the Grey dwarves,and would outfit them for severcises.

I would use the game zone dwarves with berets and rifles

Thommy H:

I don’t think there are any “Grey Dwarfs” in Warhammer, but I like the idea of some sort of neutral Dwarf faction that gets involved somehow. Maybe, like, some weird subterranean offshoot from the foothills of the Worlds Edge Mountains? Or from one of the lost holds in the Mountains of Mourn? They could have been captured by the Chaos Dwarfs centuries before and now they’re a sort of deformed, troglyditic version of what they once were. Sort of like Tolkein’s Petty Dwarves.

Maybe:

3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 1, 2, 1, 7

Special Rules: Resolute, Relentless, Scout, plus whatever the appropriate “slave” rule is for the rules you’re using (Disposable, in the case of my book).

Equipment: Heavy armour, fireglaive.

Call it 10 points per model?

JonJon:

Grey dwarves are from the Grey mountains are poor and koown to be adventurers and mercenaries thought they would fall right in with a generous Overlordwho had a falling out with Azoroth

Jon

Thommy H:

Oh, well that’s miles away from the Dark Lands! I don’t think those Grey Dwarfs would work with Chaos Dwarfs either - all western Dwarfs hate the Dawi’Zharr with a passion. It’s one of their oldest grudges.

JonJon:

From some of the fluff the grey dwarves are looked down upon by the proper dwarf holds,I thought this my be way to shoe horn my game zone dwarves in my renegade CDs

Thommy H:

The Chaos Dwarfs’ empire is a big place - they could just be from some other stronghold besides the Black Fortress. My army contains loads of different styles of miniatures from lots of manufacturers and it’s never been a problem.

JonJon:

You asked me fora background justification I just pulled it out of my butt,wasn’t ready but your right they could be from the ash mountain just as easily,really liking the pretty dwarf idea I could really run with it considering all the mounted dwarves from dwarf wars miniature range.

JonJon:

JonJon:

this is half of them

Thommy H:

Just use them as Hobgoblins in LoA and Slave Brutes in my book.