[Archive] Infernal guard: horde or not?

Gmaleron:

in my opinion, for these guys to work they need to be 25+ so your size is good.
BUT:
you have 1 unit covering all your core points. I fear that you will have too few units on the table.
plus blunderbusses work only for 1-2 turns and maybe a stand and shoot.

I would keep them for larger games, and go with simple infernals (and hobbos!) for 2000

Samanos
Hmm I see what you mean, the goal with this was to get the minimum core requirement in points so I could put the points into some other units (was trying to get a unit of Bull Centaurs in there). Will change it up a little to see what I can come up with, thanks for the input! :hat off

Baggronor:

Definitely wouldn’t use a BB unit like that at 2000pts.

Better to go 30 IG (horde) with full command and maybe Razor Standard, and then some Hobgob archers.

Bolg:

I havent played the new list yet, But I love hordes. and another great advantage is that their flanks are way better to protect and a over run clip is also more probable. when I start building the new list I will most defiantly try the horde first.

Extra attacks is always better than more ranks unless you need a tarpit (:

rpitts2004:

I think if you want to use a hoard unit, like it was discussed above, either have them with GW’s or just use Hobbos and support with your infernals

Gmaleron:

Definitely wouldn't use a BB unit like that at 2000pts.

Better to go 30 IG (horde) with full command and maybe Razor Standard, and then some Hobgob archers.

Baggronor
Just an update on this guys, @ 2000-2200pts. I have been running this unit the past couple of games:

-x29 Infernal Guard (*Castellean in Unit*)
*w/ Full Command, Blunderbusses

The results...have been AWESOME!! In the first games playing Chaos Dwarfs I have:

-Shot to Pieces and then slaughtered a horde of Dwarf Slayers in a close game. Game Result: Loss

-Took on a Horde of White Lions twice, after shooting them twice (moved to within 12 inches + stand and shoot) I was able to comfortably take the rest down in CC. Game Result: Win

-In the 2nd game against the White Lions I did a little of the same thing, stood and shot with blunderbusses and with breath of hatred won the combat in one round! Game Result: Win

-Slaughtered an Arachnarok Spider (rolled a 5 for D3 x 19 shots) with shooting, a BIG UN horde, and some Black Orcs. Game Result: Win

-Against Empire shot to pieces/ground down two massive hordes of Halberds. Game Result: win

-Against an Ogre Bull Horde took the charge (again I moved forward to shoot twice and got x3 shots both times!) killed a good number of them, lost a few guys and ended up beating them down in combat over a few turns (in combination with breath of hatred.) Game Result: Draw

-Played an MSU style Wood Elf Army and was able to win it on turn 5 (thanks to being able to FINALLY catch his army). This was a tough game as it is one of the lists I feel we have difficulty against, super fast, small and shooty units. I had lost all my warmachines but the game went my way when my Blunderbuss Horde shot and killed both his dragon and highborn mounted on it in the final two turns! Game Result: Win

I am loving this unit as Blunderbusses in everygame have done something to help me out, especially against the High Elf player, I killed nearly half of his White Lions in one volley of shooting and after the stand and shoot he had maybe 9 left alive to get into combat. Yes its a points sink and risk but so far it has performed splendidly. I have a rematch against this High Elf player today (2200pts. ) and plan on adding the Lichbone Pennant to the unit since he is bringing a scary mage and lore of metal :hat off

gashnag:

Ex a unit of 30+ White Lions will rape your 30 model unit (hitting on 3s with a re-roll & wounding on 2s, leaving you 6s & parry). On the other hand you can probably take 30 Plague Monks in a horde (hitting you on 4s & wounding on 5s) with about 2-4 wounds, leaving your 26+ unit to chop through his.

KramDratta
This is true I had a unit of 26 with Sorcerer-Prophet and BSB 7x3 get charged by a unit of 12 white lions and they tore me to pieces lost both SP and BSB through 2 rounds of combat. The white lines started at 30 but between 2 MC they where reduced but still tore me a new one didn't help that one of my MC misfired three times (Misfire then re-roll misfire can't shot for this or the next then misfires once again)

Gmaleron:

This is true I had a unit of 26 with Sorcerer-Prophet and BSB 7x3 get charged by a unit of 12 white lions and they tore me to pieces lost both SP and BSB through 2 rounds of combat. The white lines started at 30 but between 2 MC they where reduced but still tore me a new one didn't help that one of my MC misfired three times (Misfire then re-roll misfire can't shot for this or the next then misfires once again)

gashnag
This is the one reason I give my units Blunderbusses, for scary units such as White Lions and Ogre Deathstars (see my above post) to be able to whittle them down even more before they get there.

Alot of people tend to think that the Blunderbusses are a point sink, however I honestly dont ever see playing a game without a unit of these bad boys, they have become a stable unit in my army and have performed amazingly well everytime.