[Archive] Infernal Guard questions

Exxonvaldez:

Just wondering if people with the new book prefer blunderbusses over fire Glaives and why. Also wondering is infernal guard can take a magic banner still? Thanks

Time of Madness:

Nobody likes fireglaives or blunderbusses for 5 or 6 pts each. You are better off with basic 12pt infernal guard to act as an anvil.

And yes they can take a banner.

Time of Madness

Exxonvaldez:

Just a single unit of infernal guard can take a banner? Or can all units?

Time of Madness:

One unit up to 50pts

Time of Madness

Baader the Great:

Maybe this is a stupid question but…

Infernal guards are equipped with blackshard armour, hand weapon and shield.

Do they lose their shield if they get fireglaives or blunderbusses?

Exxonvaldez:

Maybe this is a stupid question but...

Infernal guards are equipped with blackshard armour, hand weapon and shield.

Do they lose their shield if they get fireglaives or blunderbusses?

Baader the Great
They purchase the extra weapons so they are still equipped with the shield but can only use it in combat with the blunderbuss

Baader the Great:

Then wouldn’t it have been wiser for Forgeworld to have CD minis with fireglaives AND shields?

I mean, if you are right, then everyone who buys the FW fireglaive dwarfs would have to buy some extra shields and put them on the minis.

In other words, the FW chaos dwarf minis with fireglaives are useless the way they’re now?

Exxonvaldez:

Then wouldn't it have been wiser for Forgeworld to have CD minis with fireglaives AND shields?

I mean, if you are right, then everyone who buys the FW fireglaive dwarfs would have to buy some extra shields and put them on the minis.

In other words, the FW chaos dwarf minis with fireglaives are useless the way they're now?

Baader the Great
WYSIWYG doesn't apply to warhammer, only 40k so they can be played as is. It's too bad because shields on their backs would have been cool

MarkM:

WYSIWYG doesn't apply to warhammer, ...

Exxonvaldez
Yes it does. Every tournament I play in (at least 15 a year) has this as a stipulation.

Thommy H:

It applies for options. So if you had any choice about giving them shields, it would be unfair to claim the save bonus without modelling them. But since they have to have shields anyway, it doesn’t matter. The models are “Infernal Guard with fireglaives” and that unit choice has shields so there should be no cause for confusion.

Wifstrand:

Nobody likes fireglaives or blunderbusses for 5 or 6 pts each. You are better off with basic 12pt infernal guard to act as an anvil.

And yes they can take a banner.

Time of Madness

Time of Madness
I take it then you haven't had 20 Blunderbusses fire against something, then have them Stand and Shoot as well.

Baader the Great:

Hmmm… I still feel very tempted to put my own shields on the backs of my fireglaive chaos dwarfs. I like to see the weapons and armour a unit has.

At the same time, I feel still al little bit irritated that FW didn’t put shields on them in the first place.

But maybe it would be wiser and easier to come up with a house rule that says if chaos dwarfs get fireglaives they simplay lose their shields…

Thommy H:

The option should be a point less then and, frankly, if you’re going to do that you might as well change the cost of fireglaives (and the other options) altogether to make them actually worthwhile. It’s kind of a can of worms, is what I’m saying.

togo:

I went pretty well with an anvil of 30 IG with Blunderbusses,Prophet and Castellan in it.

Yes they are expensive but your opponent will have a hard time to get points from that unit.

KramDratta:

@Togo: But wouldn’t you have to have them 10+ wide to be able to fire with 20+ models?? And unless I am missing something, they’re still Strength 3 (oh how I miss the +1 Str per rank). Against most of the opponents (apart from elflings, manlings & grobi) you’re wounding on 5s…

The Besieger:

Lets say a horde bb.

1 D3 shots X 20.

Yes only str 3 with AP but still reroll to wound.

I agree 18 pts per bb is many but still d3 shots + reroll to wound

and AS 3+ & PS 6+.I can understand the high cost :).

KramDratta:

Hmmm so 20 models, with D3 shots. Lets assume an average of 2 shots each. 40 shots on a 4+ = 20 hits.

Against T3 that’s a 4+ so 15 wounds. With a LA & shield you go down to 6+ save, so that means you did 12/13 wounds.

Against T4 thats 5+ so 10/11 wounds. With HA & shield (Orcs, Saurus warriors, etc) armour save is 5+ so thats about 7/8 wounds.

Not bad, but you need to be 25 or more (so that you don’t lose the re-roll as soon as you take a couple of casualties… and that is a significant investment.

Castellan:

As Time of Madness said here, it would be better to take more Infernal guard with standard equipment than those with Fireglaves (5 pt per model) or Blunderbusses (6 pt per model). Say you have ten Infernal guard all with Blunderbusses. If you took away all those Blunderbusses, you would be able to take five extra Infernal Guard. Even so, I have bought a unit of Fireglaves to test them out.

-Castellan

Wifstrand:

As Time of Madness said here, it would be better to take more Infernal guard with standard equipment than those with Fireglaves (5 pt per model) or Blunderbusses (6 pt per model).

Castellan
No. Infernal Guard with Blunderbusses are really good, though expensive. Try them out, you'll see.

Exxonvaldez:

I use a unit of 14 Infernal Guard with Fireglaives usually placed on the flank with a warmachine. At first their only role was to carry a banner but I’ve realized how great they are.  They can barely hit a target in the shooting phase but in combat they rip stuff up.  They are a permanent fixture in my list.  The unit costs just over 250 points but what’s a flank worth to you?