[Archive] Infernal Guard Weapon choices

Norngahl:

I'm looking at one big block of IG, and 2 bigger blocks of Hobgoblins as my Core. Need the book before I can make any real decisions though.

Baggronor
That's my starting point, too. But still, when i think about one of my regular opponents who plays a "tame" empire army (without Stank, Walter, and lvl4) with 2x50 hatred fueled halbardiers, and 30 strong flagellants and greatswords backed up by artillery/shooting and multiple intervening 5-man knights - 1xIG and 2xHG are not gonna do it. (Mortars vs. the HG units, halbardiers vs. IG, cannons vs. own artillery and knights to be a nuisance everywhere. Detachments to divert.)

On your character front: I agree. I'm playing around with a 4th character: A hobgoblin hero on wolf, leading wolfriders to rear-charge and break support units, like crossbowmen, artillery, detachments.

Maybe even just a small IG unit (maybe even with greatweapons) and another castellan, who can hold up most regiments of the non-death star variety all by himself (180 pts buy a well equipped castellan, but only 12-15 IG depending on equipment).

So: Mass Artillery to kill anything in sight, hobgoblins to slow and castellans to stop. Only one hellcannon (since i like my friends :P ) and a K'daii to kill what the artillery missed. Around 120-140 models on the table and win or loose by the hotness of the artillery dice.

Zhorn
I first went for the double hobgoblin roadblocker as well (2x 40 with shields, banner, musician) but then realiesed, that CDs have some of the best "shove down your throat" units in the game- Bull Centaures and Iron Daemon/Skullcracker.

Why to invest 2x192 points into stuff that won´t kill anything but simply holds it´s ground when I can take units that can hold their ground AND have some serious damage output in the same turn?

I mean, an Iron Daemon with T7, W7, 3+ AS, unbreakable has the same "hold" qualities like the hobgoblins have, but for some more points gets you some serious hurt in CC AND at distance.

8 Bull Centaures are expensive, but with T5, 3+ AS and 3 wounds each they will hold their ground as well, while hitting with 17 S6 attacks in return rahter than humble 10 S3...

Sure, both units are more expensive than hobgoblins... but primarily the game is about beeing versatile and killing stuff rather than blocking stuff out ;)

I use one unit of 40 as described above for +8 combat resolution (3 ranks, banner, charge, rear, backstabbers) to chrush the enemy once I forced a combat with my heavy hitters, or as the meant roadbloacker against some real nasty stuff (chosen for example). I wouldn´t take more than 1 of this unit, as you´re better of getting/upgrading killy stuff, cause you´ll hardly ever find worthy to tarpit targets for them. 1 unit has never failed me, but 2 simply are not worth it, even if they read great on the paper.
This doesn't work with chaos dwarfs since they're only strength 4 and more expensive by a long shot (more expensive characters, more expensive but less strength core, less magic defense, less accurate artillery).

So, i don't think this really works (will find out at the weekend ).

I guess a chaos dwarf army which plays to it's strengths will use 40-50 strong units of hobgoblins as roadblocks (around 200 pts per block), and hellcannons (yes, plural) as blocker/killer/flankers.
Yeah, true.

I'm looking at one big block of IG, and 2 bigger blocks of Hobgoblins as my Core. Need the book before I can make any real decisions though.
(And our extremely expensive lvl4 caster is no help on the points front, either: Too expensive for a caster, not enough hitting power for a HtH monster. And no reasonable item combination to push either role: earthing rod or healing potion is a given, ward save, too. That doesn't leave enough points allowance or item slots to make him either a great caster or a great HtH character. And demon smiths lend themselves to the artillery approach better anyways).
Despite not having the book yet, I'm considering just having a Castellan BSB and 2 lvl2s for my characters. The Sorcerer Prophet is cool, but he seems to have the same problem as Hybrid Vampire Lords - very expensive and master of no trades.

Baggronor
I myself take 2 Daemonsmiths over 1 Sorcerer Prophet.. They are cheaper, can pack a Dispel Scroll and Scroll of Shielding, get me 4 S5 attacks and a decent armoursave. One with Dawnstone/Enchanted Shield for reroll 2+/6+ as the general and one as 3+/6++ as support, with 2x2 wounds and 4 Metal spells (with throwing 2x2 I´ll rather get the metal spells I want than with 1x4).

The only reason I´d take a sorcerer prohet over 2 Daemonsmiths is
a) I want to use the model (which is pretty awesome)
b) I want to use lore of Hashut
c) I want a Lammasu in the List (reffering to 1)

As the only reasonable build I´d see:
Sorcerer Prohet
+ 4th Wizard Level
+ Lore of Hashut/Metal
+ Enchanted Shield
+ Talisman of Preservation
+ Dispel Scroll
+ Ironcurse Icon
+ Blood of Hashut

gives me 2+/4++ with T5, 3 wounds and some basic protection against magic and some support for my troops. Also gives me +4 to dispel and to cast, but more expensive than Daemonsmiths. Also got a nice one hit wonder against chars with the blood, but I wouldn´t expect him to kill any dedicated CC char.. As always, jack of all trades, master of nothing.

It´s no big difference, but I feel Daemonsmiths are the slightly better choiche in games under 2,5k, as they save points for the truely killy stuff (warmachines!) while supporting the troops you have a bit better in my opinion.

CDs can cast some stuff, but are no real caster nation.. so better just get some "I´m in the game" stuff like DS, rather than pumping some serious points into this with a SP, who won´t do much better.

Zhorn:

Good input, Norngahl.

I would agree with you especially on the Iron Demon had i not been on the receiving end of a 5 man naked empire knights unit blocking the thing in one of my test games with the leaked list for 4 turns… (Actually, it was 4 knights since one succumbed to the glorious shooting of the machine one round prior - hitting on 5 isn’t really all that it is cracked up to!)

But i’ll play around the list a bit on the weekend. From 1 hobgoblin unit (like you recommend) to 4 hobgoblin units. I’ll tell.

zhatan87:

Why to invest 2x192 points into stuff that won´t kill anything but simply holds it´s ground when I can take units that can hold their ground AND have some serious damage output in the same turn?
Maybe we are leaving the topic : inferrnal guard weapon choices, but ID has its drawback too : you can loose it on a single initiative test, it's more subject to warmachines such as cannons. But hobgoblins can fail LD test, or be slained by stonethrower...
A matter of taste I think...:)
But you are right in one way of thinking : it is better to try to win a close combat, rather than being steadfast:) As it was difficult to win CC with RH list, many people will keep the way of playing a CD army : being steadfast and hold, whereas we can now win CC with the FW list thanks to our new monsters : k'daai (destroyer), hellcannon, or iron daemon.
We will see what will be played very sooner... Maybe a mix of hobgoblins to hold one turn, and some units to make the difference the following turn...

Baggronor:

I first went for the double hobgoblin roadblocker as well (2x 40 with shields, banner, musician) but then realiesed, that CDs have some of the best "shove down your throat" units in the game- Bull Centaures and Iron Daemon/Skullcracker.

I mean, an Iron Daemon with T7, W7, 3+ AS, unbreakable has the same "hold" qualities like the hobgoblins have, but for some more points gets you some serious hurt in CC AND at distance.
Oh, I'll be taking an ID and K'Daii too. I was talking about Hobgoblins and IG in terms of compulsory Core.

And of course, 50 Hobgoblins charging in at the same time as one of the elite hammers means the enemy is unlikely to be steadfast when the dust has settled - pretty handy teamwork.

Exxonvaldez:

I don’t have the book but in the forgeworld test rules an infernal guard unit champ could take a naphtha bomb amd or pistol. No one has mentioned these, are they in the final list? What are their stats and why don’t I see them in lists?

Time of Madness:

Yes they made the final list. The champ can take those options.

I just had a quick look over the Infernal guard section. Not sure how I missed this, but the Deathmask costs 12pts…I’ve been telling people he costs 10pts.

You can take a pistol for 2pts or the bomb for 5pts.

Time of Madness

the_Forge_Lord:

The bomb seems somewhat lacklustre if I’m being nice about it. As for the pistol, if you aren’t a shooting unit you will mostly be marching or charging. 2 pts for a SaS str 4 attack isn’t too bad I guess, if you have a few points spare…

Thommy H:

but the Deathmask costs 12pts
They do know it's 8th Edition now, right? I wouldn't be surprised at this point if they gave K'dai a Unit Strength...

zhatan87:

They do know it's 8th Edition now, right? I wouldn't be surprised at this point if they gave K'dai a Unit Strength...
Orc boss is 15 pts... Gnoblar boss is 5pts...
I won't tell you how much for the hobgoblin command:)
As for the pistol, if you aren't a shooting unit you will mostly be marching or charging. 2 pts for a SaS str 4 attack isn't too bad I guess, if you have a few points spare...
Only to play Wysiwyg...:) And 2 pts to be wysi isn't expensive:)
Does this mean that the deathmask must use his pistol in HtH rather than his shield? Not so good... :(

Thommy H:

Orc boss is 15 pts... Gnoblar boss is 5pts...
I won't tell you how much for the hobgoblin command:)

zhatan87
Orc Bosses get +1 Strength as well as +1 Attack. And Gnoblars are only Strength 2, so their champion's extra Attack just isn't worth as much. 10 points is standard for almost all command now (or it will be as the 8th Edition books roll out).

Exxonvaldez:

I have found that more and more of my opponents stopped taking unit champions. This means my unit champion can challenge and force characters to attack him. Leaving my rank and file alive to fight. Especially when more ranks means steadfast. I’ll be taking deathmasks.

Time of Madness:

Hobgoblins are

Musician 4pts

Standard 8pts

Champ 10pts

Time of Madness

Thommy H:

#7thEditionBook :~

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Ironclad:

After abit of thought I have come to the conclusion that the best option for larger units are shields,(to keep the cost down) and smaller units should be equipped with GW. (to make sure they are killing enough to make up for the small unit size)

Also, a deadly combo is to take 20 Infernal Guard with Great Weapons, Full Command and The Banner of Eternal Flame. This unit is outstanding in the Watchtower scenario, especially when buffed by the hatred spell. When fighting a close combat in a building, ie; the tower, they will re-roll to wound, and if buffed by the hatred spell, re-roll to hit as well. This alongside the great weapons, will ensure that they can cleanse the Watchtower/defend it with releative ease.

Cheers, IC.