[Archive] Info on the new chaos dwarfs

fonejaker:

hi

After getting back from games day and long chat with the boss of warhammer forge (rick priestly).I found out this information about out short bearded friends.

• Not a stand alone book
  • Not many troops
  • Astragoth has been sent in to exile, he said that he is probably stood on a plinth with the sorcerer’s statues watching the world go by
  • Taurus and bull centaurs are going to be out soon, no lammassu for the moment

i may update his later when i have some time

cheers :cheers

Grimstonefire:

Great stuff.  Cheers for posting.

It’s nice to hear the WF staff are actively taking an interest in CDO, seeing as (at the moment) we’re probably not the main people they are aiming to sell to.

We’ve certainly done a lot of work increasing the appeal of CD to other warhammer fans through the Word of Hashut, the CD podcast, and of course all the hobby threads.

I did actually hear a ‘rumour’ about Astragoth a while back, but as it turns out it was almost certainly made up.  He was described as being in a fairly large steam powered suit covered in pistons.  Standing on a kislev guy as well.

BC and Taurus I’m guessing would be for the 2nd book at the soonest, so unless they phase the releases in we could be looking at around this time next year for them.

Henroth:

[*]Not a stand alone book
[*]Not many troops
I don't like this part anything
. :(

[*]Astragoth has been sent in to exile, he said that he is probably stood on a plinth with the sorcerer's statues watching the world go by
[*]Taurus and bull centaurs are going to be out soon, no lammassu for the moment
Already I like this more, especially for the Bull Centaurs.

fonejaker

AssurBahniZharr:

Nor I like it…

A very stupid question…could it be possible that:

1) Due to huge interest in CDs Warhammer forge will create in the future, if not a book, at least a stand alone list (such as an RH Magic&cost&troops upgrade?)

2) Due to huge interest in CDs Gamesworkshop will either do this?

Everything is great but still i retain not too much hope=P

Nicodemus:

Nor I like it...

A very stupid question...could it be possible that:
1) Due to huge interest in CDs Warhammer forge will create in the future, if not a book, at least a stand alone list (such as an RH Magic&cost&troops upgrade?)
2) Due to huge interest in CDs Gamesworkshop will either do this?

Everything is great but still i retain not too much hope=P

AssurBahniZharr
Best support we can give is to keep doing what we've been doing here on CDO to promote Chaos Dwarfs through enthusiasm and excellence of execution in terms of hobby skills (conversions, painting, fluff, artwork, etc.)

However, above and beyond all those things what we need to do to show support is to buy these new models. There's absolutely no way GW or WF will continue with this "fringe" army if they're not turning a decent profit. I suspect it would need to be a significant profit for GW to take the reins from WF and start producing regular troops. GW would only really produce a complete army, not just a few odds as they've moved to fully supporting complete armies, no more piece meal.

Buy what you can from WF to show support, even if it's a few characters and not the crazy train... which I'm a little worried about as it'll likely be expensive.

Vash:

there’s also talk that this is the first book of many, with a somewhat continuing story line.

there could be troops in later books, as an example forgeworld released the elesyan guard in the third IA book allong with some tau models. not to long ago they made a new book involving the elesyan guard and new models for them showed up.

the best way to ensure something like that is offcourse to buy models from the new line, despite the fact they might be more pricy then the plastics from GW.

i still think there is a small possiblity of dwarven upgrade kits. a new front torso/face/beard/hat that can be used in combination with the warrior/thunderer box sets. they’ve done it for Imperial guard… although the CD’s won’t have scale mail then.

Nicodemus:

And for sure if they’re planning on something for the train to release a unit of Warriors with Blunderbusses they’d need to re-present rules for how to use the BBs… so presumably they’ll be covered.

nitroglysarine:

All good, but sucks about the troops :frowning:

Grimstonefire:

I think we need to see how many entries are present in the list before we panic. It may be possible to bolt these on to a RH style list, send it to the FW guys and get them to host it.

wallacer:

For all we know CD could be a tack-on to the “WoC list” in Tamurkhan or they could be a self contained allied force.  We’ll have a better idea once more solid rumours of the Tamurkhan book (and maybe the one after it as well) start coming through.

Agreed that if we want more CD figures we’re going to have to vote with our wallets and get the stuff from WF.

fonejaker:

He told me troops are out of the question, but did not mention anything about conversion kits. I think the casting machines are very expensive so it would cost them lots for one squad, if they do become a good seller then we might get some troops.

Grimstonefire:

There is nothing out there at the moment FW could do conversion kits for though to make CD. Using dwarf warrior arms would look silly imo.

Resin casting is a lot cheaper than plastic, but not quite so much as metal I think (as you need to replace the moulds more often).

We have had rumours of FW doing ‘allied contingents’ within lists, so with any luck they will do this with the CD parts. As it stands though they would not be anywhere near enough to make a legal list.

No, I think the best way forwards is to treat the whole tamurkhan list as a counts as CD list.

aka_mythos:

Grimstonefire, I think you misrepresent the cost of resin. The resin material itself is about as expensive as plastic, but to actually make anything out of either varies. The machines and tooling to produce kits out of plastic far exceed those for resin production. The resin making process though is much more time consuming and labor intensive. A single minimally trained worker can operate a injection molding machine that turns out multiple sprues every few minutes. Someone producing resin cast needs to know more and can manage only so many molds simultaneously with in a given hour. Resin has more scrap and waste; multi-hundred dollar molds have only 30 or so shots before they lose detail.

In the end the two are about equal in cost, but the lower volume weighs a larger burden of the fixed production costs across fewer items and sales.

I think Warhammer Forge, not initially doing troops is a matter of limited resources. They want to establish broad based appeal to the Warhammer fan base, through their initial release. FW has space marines and IG, the marines being such a large portion of GW’s overall market and IG just lending themselves to the type of kits FW wants to make. Warhammer Forge cannot rely on the same volume of success and volume of sale those two armies have brought FW, they have to initially cast a wider net.

GW is now pressuring FW to better represent all of the 40k armies, and rather than back track and do that as FW is now having to, Warhammer Forge has to do it from the start.

I think once every Fantasy army has a couple of models each, and they’ve a number of terrain pieces out, then Warhammer Forge will move on to developing the Chaos Dwarves as product line more uniquely their’s.