[Archive] iron daemon(1)

lamo:

okay so I am building up my new chaos dwarves and I’m not sure if I should get an iron daemon. I’ve seen on these forums some debate as to how to implement its rules(including its tactics section) . That considered I just have a few questions.

One: If the iron daemon doesn’t declare a charge and rolls into a unit(via steam charge) can this unit choose to flee(no charge was declared). It doesn’t seem to be against the rules to do this since there is a drawback anyway.

two: can you pivot before you boiler move? I looked at the rules and it says

"The Iron daemon moves this distance forward in a straight line and may not turn or wheel as it does so."

This wording tells you you cant pivot during the “forward” portion of the move. but the restriction of the rule doesn’t seem to say you cant do it prior.

Hence:

pivot

roll dice

move forward and stop at the rolled distance or impact enemy/friendly unit

thanks in advance guys :smiley:

Thommy H:

It moves “forward in a straight line”. You don’t get to pivot.

Individual models, such as chariots, can pivot at any point during their movement. The restriction on the Iron Daemon’s boiler movement would seem to explicitly overrule that. I.e. if it can’t turn or wheel during its movement, why would it be able to do so before its movement? There isn’t a rule for individual models that says you can pivot before you move.

lamo:

well it does say on page 27

“The one exception is that a single model can pivot on the spot as many times as it wishes over the course of its move”.

Thus how i read it is: pivot as much, as often, and at any point during your move.

Maybe It’s that I’m looking to hard for a reason to get one cus its so cool but… I am taking stuff from the rules :D.

Hashut’s Blessing:

1. it specifies "The Iron daemon moves forward in a straight line"

2) It doesn’t say it can pivot/wheel/reform/turn/spin/etc then move forward in a straight line.

A) No charge is declared, so no flee reaction can be made. If you don’t charge, they can’t make a charge reaction.

Thommy H:

Right. They can pivot as much as they like. But the Iron Daemon’s rules say it can’t turn or wheel when it uses its boiler, and that it has to go in a straight line. So why would it get one “free” pivot at the start? Why not as many as it liked? What would be the point of saying it had to go in a straight line if it could still pivot?

I admit the rule isn’t that well worded, but it seems pointless to make the distinction about it not being able to turn otherwise!

Grimbold Blackhammer:

For what (little) it is worth, someone at the Warhammer.net forums emailed Forge World and they confirmed it does not get a pivot when it engages the boiler.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Dr.Marmalade:

For what (little) it is worth, someone at the Warhammer.net forums emailed Forge World and they confirmed it does not get a pivot when it engages the boiler.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
That was me. No they don't get a pivot.

ViLe:

with this “no pivot” attack the ID can get blocked very easy.

But there is another point i was arguing with a friend…

in the rules for shooting the Steam Cannonade there is written:

roll to hit the target with a number of shots equal to the highest number on the two dice
just roll to hit, with or without modifiers?

with modifiers it would be very hard to hit with the crappy BS of 3.

What do you think?

GodHead:

Rolling to hit uses the normal procedure, however it does not count the penalty for moving.

Da Crusha:

ViLe
just roll to hit, with or without modifiers?
with modifiers it would be very hard to hit with the crappy BS of 3.

What do you think?

ViLe:

We played it with no modifiers but ok, i will mention that in my next game. Thank you