[Archive] Iron Daemon Cannonade Question

Novos:

Hey all!

So I’m thinking of making a CD list with 2 hellbound Iron Daemons assuming that they did not have to roll to hit for the cannonade. Though something caught my attention after the fact… The steam cannonade rules state and I quote "roll to hit the target with the number of shots equal to the highest number on the two dice."

My hopes totally just dropped. The cannonade went from super amazing to probably not even gonna hit 4 guys. Assuming I get no penalty from long range and I probably will, even if I roll 10 hits, only 5 are going in. Then I have to roll to wound. Depending on my target I’ll probably fail 1 or 2 rolls leaving 3 hits. Ok yeah they’re D3 wounds but 1-3 hits isnt gonna do anything to anyone. Only good against monstrous units now :frowning: Someone please tell me I’m wrong and I don’t have to roll to hit.

Thanks guys.

Edit Ok I did a bit more reading and have confirmed you do have to hit though I retract my statement. The D3 wounds changes everything. Its actually quite amazing. I rolled off a few times against infantry, demigryphs, and monsters and it performed each time. Wowzers… The D3 wounds is how many it does to the UNIT and not single models right? I assumed that as it isnt a template like the Magma Cannon where as it only does D3 to the models it hits.

Thanks again.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

2 Iron Daemons > Nurgle Deamon Prince

Hashut’s Blessing:

Novos: Unfortunately, you’re correct about rolling to hit and incorrect about the D3 wounds. Each unsaved wound is multiplied into D3 wounds taken by the model that took the original unsaved wound - I.E. No point in rolling the D3s against single wound models, but excellent against monsters, monstrous beasts, monstrous cavalry etc.

Novos:

@Grimbold: lol awesome…

@Hashut’s Blessing: Are you sure? So if I land one wound against an infantry unit I only kill 1 regardless of D3? I thought it only works that way when a template is involved. Thats kinda crappy really. I guess the close combat aspect of the unit will fry infantry so whatevs. But thats still kinda shit.

Baggronor:

@Hashut's Blessing: Are you sure? So if I land one wound against an infantry unit I only kill 1 regardless of D3? I thought it only works that way when a template is involved. Thats kinda crappy really. I guess the close combat aspect of the unit will fry infantry so whatevs. But thats still kinda shit.
No, its kinda The Scariest Gun in Warhammer if you're a monster or monstrous cav (which a lot of things are in 8th). No other army has a gun that can directly waste monstrous cav like the Cannonades can. You can't expect one unit to do everything, this isn't DoC ;)

It also ignores penalties for moving, which is nice. Cast Enchanted Blades of Aiban on it if you want more hits.

Novos:

@Hashut's Blessing: Are you sure? So if I land one wound against an infantry unit I only kill 1 regardless of D3? I thought it only works that way when a template is involved. Thats kinda crappy really. I guess the close combat aspect of the unit will fry infantry so whatevs. But thats still kinda shit.
No, its kinda The Scariest Gun in Warhammer if you're a monster or monstrous cav (which a lot of things are in 8th). No other army has a gun that can directly waste monstrous cav like the Cannonades can. You can't expect one unit to do everything, this isn't DoC ;)

It also ignores penalties for moving, which is nice. Cast Enchanted Blades of Aiban on it if you want more hits.

Baggronor
True enough 8th armies are monster heavy so this actually will be pretty awesome... Demigryph knights are my worst enemies so I'm actually ok with this. :D

Hashut’s Blessing:

I am sure. Check the main rulebook and it’ll explain the (D3 wounds) part.

Besides, you have MORE than enough anti-infantry stuff (magma cannons, Hailshots, hobgoblin bow hordes, k’daii etc) and anti-Monstrous things are AMAZING nowadays. I’m not a big fan of monsters because I think they’re pretty easy to remove (for the most part) - giants especially.

Bad Gram Northern:

I have another question about the cannonade:

the book says it can only be fired at targets directly in front of him. Does that mean you must project a straight line in front of the iron daemon and only what’s underneath that line can be shot at (like the Imperial steam tank does) or do you still get the 90° arc of fire?

KramDratta:

Project a line from either side of the base. You can only shoot at one unit that is at least partially between both lines.

Bad Gram Northern:

jup, I just found the FAQ:

Q. The Steam Cannonade fires �?oat a target directly ahead�?�. Does this mean

within the front arc or literally directly ahead, using the width of the Iron

Daemon base as a reference.

A. Directly ahead, using the width of the Iron Daemon�?Ts base as a reference - it

cannot traverse.

Thommy H:

Which is an odd answer to give, since they don’t sell it with a base…

BABIS:

Which is an odd answer to give, since they don't sell it with a base...

Thommy H
lol so true.........