[Archive] Iron Daemon Close Combat

The Gib:

This may be an easy question to answer but I cannot find anything in the rulebook. I am just wondering how many enemy models are allowed to strike the ID in close combat. I know the rules state war machines are allowed to be hit by only 6, but the ID is not a war machine. It does not have a base so I am just wondering what the rules is for this. My main reason for asking is that I want to put my ID on a base, but I don’t want to make it too big that I end messing myself up. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

rubencm81:

I have mine in a chariot base to clarify this situation. Hope this helps.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

As it doesn’t come on an official base, you can put it on whatever you want. Mine is on a 60x120mm.

Thommy H:

It’s unique, and unique units follow all the normal rules except where specified. That means it can be hit by as many models as are in contact with its base or hull, like any other unit.

The Gib:

So what if the model is not on a base. How would you determine how many are touching it?

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I’d measure from end to end to figure out it is x-many millimeters long/wide and do the math. For the record the Skullcracker upgrade makes the Iron Demon pretty long so it gets the short end of the stick if you don’t bother to base it.

Thommy H:

So what if the model is not on a base. How would you determine how many are touching it?

The Gib
You see how many are actually touching it. The game uses models for a reason.

Marduk:

I put it on a base to make the model more robust, but it is also helpful for determining how many models are in contact in close combat and what is in front of it for the purpose of shooting and charging. Although in theory Thommy’s approach should suffice, sometimes opponents like to argue over a fraction of a millimeter and it helps to have a mathematical solution.

Thommy H:

In my experience, people who argue over fractions of millimetres in wargames do so solely because they’re used to doing the same with their genitalia.