[Archive] Iron Daemon

frogbear:

Ok yes, the Iron Daemon can only *charge* straight ahead.  But it also has the ability to pivot on the spot and move in that direction where it may "accidentally" contact another unit ...  So yes, it essentially has a 360 degree charge which the enemy cannot flee from.  Which.  Is.  AWESOME!
Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
No. You cannot pivot it from the start. You actually lose a whole turn to pivot it for a future charge in the next turn. By then the opponent hopes to move out of it's charge line - which is straight ahead.

I suggest reading the Iron Daemon rules again before an opponent does ;)

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I reread the rules three times each time looking for something preventing the Iron Daemon from pivoting. Then I wrote a really long post asking what I was missing. And then I saw the “no turning” restriction. I assume a “pivot” equals a “turn”. Boooooo!

Grimbold Blackhammer

giantsquig :

I think what we have seen in this thread is part of the issue with it. It’s so complicated to use even chaos dwarf players can’t agree on how it works.

frogbear:

I reread the rules three times each time looking for something preventing the Iron Daemon from pivoting.  Then I wrote a really long post asking what I was missing.  And then I saw the "no turning" restriction.  I assume a "pivot" equals a "turn".  Boooooo!
Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
This made me laugh. :D

I am just glad I did not have to read a long post :hat off

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I really hate looking like a moron on the forums (I save that for when I’m with my wife…) so I was genuinely surprised I had the rules for the Iron Daemon wrong. Thanks for the heads up - I think I’ve punked two different opponents accidentally. Looks like we’ll have to have some rematches!

Grimbold Blackhammer

Marduk:

I think what we have seen in this thread is part of the issue with it. It's so complicated to use even chaos dwarf players can't agree on how it works.

giantsquig
I never thought I would admit agreeing with a Squig!

Geist:

Now that everyone understands how the Iron Demon really moves, myself included in my first few games I made that mistake as well, we can move onto why they are so useful.

For me its a target that people have this need to kill. Even if its not all that great against them. Second even if it cant thunderstomp something it does have a really good impact set (I use skullcraker) 2d6+2 is massive at st8 is nuts. If I dont kill everyone there and I cant thunderstomp for whatever reason they will sit there for rest of the game with me. t8 with 8 wounds is a very hard nut to crack even if you didnt have a save.

In the games where it can thuderstomp it is just a killer a massive killer. With that and the kadii coming for them people are just hard pressed to survive. Between those 2 units charging foreward and arty in the back ground lighting up everyone, its a killer combo of armed forces. So for me the skullcracker is a must take always. He draws attention kills a ton of infantry and is hard to be killed. 340 points to draw easily 900 points worth of attention? Yes please.

Marduk:

The psychological factor!!

I don’t have a Skullcracker yet but the Iron Daemon also draws a lot of attention. Deploy one Destroyer on one wing and one Iron Daemon on the other and the opponent will have a hard time deciding what to focus on.