[Archive] is it ... Lamasu?

Sigmar79:

Hi guys !

Look at this :

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=152809&d=1348406996

It comes from English GD.

It seems to me there’s a lamasu, hided behind 40k’s figures.

if real : ohohoh !

:):):slight_smile:

G.2:

Yes, it does look like a lamassu. Are you suggesting that these are upcoming minis from Games Workshop?

furrie:

from what I’ve read on warseer, its from the trainy cabinet so we won’t be seeing him in production.

Thommy H:

Yep, just a test sculpt. GW don’t display production greens.

Ugly Green Trog:

I saw these and really wish they would do a limited production run of some of them, there are some really cool sculpts there.

Taurian:

You know, I often wonder the logistics of producing these minis. I know a decent bit of money goes into making the molds, then producing the minis. But I had also assumed that a decent bit of the cost of production went towards the sculptor in creating the original mini on which the mold was based. But to see so many minis sculpted with no ultimate production run makes me wonder why they would do it, and how much these test sculpts cost them.

I also wonder what ends up happening to these particular greens. Do they remain the property of the sculptor if they aren’t picked up, or does GW retain ownership?

JMR:

Also note how bad the Lamassu looks. What’s that hand doing there? The Avatar of Khaine is particularly bad too and the eldar in front of it has issues as well.

Some seem okay from this far away, but most of them look sub-par to GW/FW’s standards. I bet all of them are when you take a closer look.

furrie:

Also note how bad the Lamassu looks. What's that hand doing there? The Avatar of Khaine is particularly bad too and the eldar in front of it has issues as well.

Some seem okay from this far away, but most of them look sub-par to GW/FW's standards. I bet all of them are when you take a closer look.

JMR
It looks as if the lamassu is gonna knock on a door.

MLP:

The Avatar looks like he’s having a rather stubborn poo.

Thommy H:

How much does it cost them to have their new sculptors practice? I don’t know: how much does it cost for a sports team to run training sessions before games? Most organisations don’t assume their employees will be 100% perfect, 100% of the time right out of the gate. Not everything the Citadel team does is intended to be produced and sold - that would be a colossal waste of resources. As with any other endeavour, a lot of time is spent working up to the big moment when you absolutely have to get it right.

cornixt:

Every model undergoes several rounds, every sculptor makes some mistakes.

If they could sculpt every model perfectly first time then they would be god-like and only need to work a couple of days each month for the same output.

Without any specific context, these models could be the result of many things, such as a “Sculpt a big model in one hour” competition - in which case we’d be reacting more with awe.

G.2:

... to see so many minis sculpted with no ultimate production run makes me wonder why they would do it, and how much these test sculpts cost them.

Taurian
I would say, that they do it to practice, and maybe try out new techniques. I don't think these are a waste of time. The more a sculptor produces, the better he/she would get. Cost wise, I would say, it is the cost of the sculpting material, which would only be a few dollars, and the time of the sculptor.
I also wonder what ends up happening to these particular greens.  Do they remain the property of the sculptor if they aren't picked up, or does GW retain ownership?

Taurian
If GW buys these greens from the sculptor, for an agreed amount, then they would become the property of GW, and in return, the sculptor earns some money for his/her work. This, then makes the first statement above worth doing. If the green is not purchased by GW (or anyone else) it would remain the property of the sculptor, who in turn may choose to get it cast and sold independantly, as long a no copyright or IP laws are broken.

Thommy H:

I’m pretty sure they belong to GW whatever happens - their sculptors aren’t freelance.

Nicodemus:

I'm pretty sure they belong to GW whatever happens - their sculptors aren't freelance.

Thommy H
Although interestingly, the latest developments in the GW vs. Chapterhouse case seem to suggest the opposite, for artists anyway, I have no idea about their sculptors.  There is testimony from Gary Chalk effectively stating that he never had a written agreement with GW pertaining to ownership of copyright for anything he created for them.

As a follow-up, Russ Nicholson (former GW artist) was also approached by GW regarding their 'lost' documentation of him signing over rights to some of his work.  He explicitly states in his blog that ne never signed over rights to any of his work.

Of course much of this could be regarded as 'historical' now, so who knows what GW may have starting doing differently in more recent history, to say nothing of how much more diligent they may be with rights to sculpts.

~N