[Archive] Is the Flying Great Taurus model a good or bad idea?

Thommy H:

My statement doesn't say people think it is a cow they say it "LOOKS" like a cow. Please learn to read first then go read a book.
But it is a cow. That's our point. People say "it's a flying cow" and they're right. A bull and a cow are the same animal. Yes, there's a degree of sexual dimorphism in the species, but ultimately they're the same thing and they look the same, on a basic level. And, presumably, there are female Great Tauruses with udders and stuff. So how can that be a point against it? It's a bull. A bull is a male cow. So a flying bull looks like a flying cow and that's fine.

snowblizz:

And, presumably, there are female Great Tauruses with udders and stuff.

Thommy H
Slaves to the first one who does this!

Alric:

My statement doesn't say people think it is a cow they say it "LOOKS" like a cow. Please learn to read first then go read a book.
But it is a cow. That's our point. People say "it's a flying cow" and they're right. A bull and a cow are the same animal. Yes, there's a degree of sexual dimorphism in the species, but ultimately they're the same thing and they look the same, on a basic level. And, presumably, there are female Great Tauruses with udders and stuff. So how can that be a point against it? It's a bull. A bull is a male cow. So a flying bull looks like a flying cow and that's fine.

Thommy H
Tom quit quoting or replying to my post you always are just looking for an arguement because you have nothing constructive to say.
My 2nd sentence states "I know its supposed to be a bull". I know you only post replies to my post to try create an arguement even though others understand the obvious. I have already previously expressed (in the same reply you just quoted) the problem with current model is that it doesnt look monstrous enough , its to plain looking so many players denigrate the model by calling it a flying cow.
Now Tom quit trolling.

Thommy H:

If your problem is that it doesn’t look monstrous enough then just say that, instead of some weird argument about it looking like a cow, which just invites everyone (not just me) going “uh…a bull is a cow…”.

And I’m not trolling you. If you don’t want people to disagree with you, why are you posting discussions on a message board? This is a place for debate on the topics that come up, not for everyone to go “Yeah, Alric’s right!”

Hobgoblyn:

Thommy H
Tom quit quoting or replying to my post you always are just looking for an arguement because you have nothing constructive to say.
My 2nd sentence states "I know its supposed to be a bull". I know you only post replies to my post to try create an arguement even though others understand the obvious. I have already previously expressed  (in the same reply you just quoted) the problem with current model is that it doesnt look monstrous enough , its to plain looking so many players denigrate the model by calling it a flying cow.
Now Tom quit trolling.

Alric
As the person who first pointed it out, the way you are stating it is WRONG. And even at this point from your replies I am not certain you actually get what you are saying that is wrong.

"Cow" is the common term for the species also know as Cattle or Bovine. Bulls are males of that species who have not been castrated (the castrated ones are called Ox).

It is correct to call a flying Bull a "flying Cow". They are not different species that LOOK like one another or even different breeds of the same species. It's like a "Buck" and a "Deer", "Deer" refers to all members of the species while "Buck" refers specifically to the male members of the species.

So no matter what sort of Bull or Ox you have, it is still correct to call it a Cow because it is a male of the Cow species. It is not something that LOOKS like a Cow, it is not something SIMILAR to a Cow, it IS a cow. A Bull by definition will always be a Cow.

I know there can be some confusion because Cow tends to be the term for the female members of the species and other species as well, but the term does refer to all members cattle species.

It is not like a Goat and a Sheep/Ram which are indeed different animals that look somewhat alike. If we were talking about goats and rams then you would make a distinction, but we are not. A bull is in fact a cow.

I don't know if I can make this any more clear for you. A flying bull is a flying cow, a metal bull is a metal cow, a lava bull is a lava cow, a bull centaur is a cow centaur, a minotaur is a cowperson. No matter how you change or alter the great Taurus, so long as it remains a Taurus of some kind it is a cow.

Thommy H:

a minotaur is a cowperson
I will be calling minotaurs this from now on.

Hobgoblyn:

I think it also should be noted that one could not expect the level of sexual dimorphism in the bovine species as we tend to associate with them in modern days. Modern cows are the result of a HUGE amount of concentrated selective inbreeding in the last few hundred years that really hadn’t existed before then. And, on top of that, in the last few decades farmers have been pumping them so full of hormones and steroids that I imagine anyone who is aware of just how much would feel quesy about drinking milk from the animal much less eating it.

So the cattle in WarHammer are probably far closer to the ones you’d find in India or other countries where they have generally screwed around with their genes and body chemistry quite a lot less.

Thommy H:

Moving away from bovine-related discussion, there is a broader point about how ferocious the Great Taurus looks: it dates from 4th Edition, the height of the “red period” when everything was a bit more comical and childish. I mean, look at the rest of the range - Chaos Dwarfs don’t exactly look threatening with their giant comedy hats and pointy noses. So I think the concept is fine, but the model is rather of its time, that’s all.

cornixt:

I think it’s no worse than the “giant frog” of the lizardmen or the “cow-lizards” of Dark Elves. People just come up with funny names because it is a game and fun is the number one goal.

Kera foehunter:

lol the giant frog or the (skink skanks) and the old fly harpie non human one of the dark elves

i like the flying bull even throw i had to make mine it still rocks

Grimstonefire:

Moving away from bovine-related discussion, there is a broader point about how ferocious the Great Taurus looks
Lets try and keep the discussion along these lines everyone, as it's clearly how the thread was intended to be discussed (imo).

I'm not a fan of the model at all.  It came from the comical era when big hats were fine, but in today's game it doesn't look ferocious at all I think.  Bring on the mechanical steam punk one.

As far as the fluff concept goes I think it is fine, but in gaming terms it's not totally necessary for it to have wings if we had a different list.

Snotling:

And, presumably, there are female Great Tauruses with udders and stuff.

Thommy H
hm... with udders? Maybe female Taures are not that cow-like that they have udders... or do you think, CDs drink Taurus-milk? Maybe female Taures have no wings, but are much more than the male... interessting idea
And Cowperson sound good, so... modern and political correct... "We don't understand us as Minotaures, we are Cowpersons, with all rights and advantages other persons have" :)

Thommy H:

Yes, with udders. They’re mammals, so they’d produce milk, wouldn’t they? I imagine it would be quite warm though… Sleepy Chaos Dwarfs?

Snotling:

Yes, with udders. They're mammals, so they'd produce milk, wouldn't they?

Thommy H
Yep, but mice or apes or whatever prodce mild, too, and they don't have udders :) But it would make sense and it also could be an answer for the question, what CDs drink (even for beer and booth you need water... but they brew it out of milk and blood... how cool is this?) :cheers
But I still would say, female Taures have no wings, it could make sense, so they can be kept in smaller cages where they deliver milk. Males Taures are for battle and to produce more female Taures. hm... or maybe they use something totally different... not theire sacred animal :)

Thommy H:

They have mammary glands though. An udder is just a cow’s version of a nipple - since Tauruses are clearly bovine, they should have the same thing, shouldn’t they? Unless you imagine some other arrangement. In either case, it amounts to the same basic thing.

Snotling:

Hm… but the Taurus modell has neither mals nor female gender organs. Maybe the references to real cows are not so strict. But you are probably right, I totally agree with you.

Thommy H:

Yeah, the model is pretty neuter - maybe they geld the Tauruses before they ride them into battle? They could be too ferocious otherwise…

Allanp:

first off i love this thread :D. so many amusing things sed :slight_smile:

anyway as still being new to the whole chaos dwarf ideal i know my opinion might not be as well founded or important but i will say it anyway haha. i really do like this model. i havnt managed to get my hands on one yet but soon…

i do agree that it does not look very threatening at all but then i am not sure you could make a flying taurus model that would look that good if you were going for realism. personaly i think it would look something like the great stag of the wood elves (forgive me for even speaking the word elf in such a prestiges venue but it helps my point haha) and i find this model really awful (the stag). personal opinion obviously but there you go.

i think the current (even though so old) taurus model is just fun and at the same time you could see it flying through and demolishing battle lines of non believers! if i were to have one in possession and uni work were more permitting i wold find a way to use it every time. so in short i like this model :slight_smile:

Snotling:

ah, they couldn’t be ferocius enough, I think the creators just want to prevent controverses around bull with huge testicles… you know, it’s all about selling…

Hobgoblyn:

They have mammary glands though. An udder is just a cow's version of a nipple - since Tauruses are clearly bovine, they should have the same thing, shouldn't they? Unless you imagine some other arrangement. In either case, it amounts to the same basic thing.

Thommy H
It is. And as I mentioned above and you quickly dismissed as unimportant, that female cows have such comically huge nipples/mamory glands is primarily the result of relatively recent inbreeding with the express goal of increasing the size of the udders well above and beyond the natural size and pumping them full of hormones and steroids to push it even further.

If the species wasn't being tampered with for the purpose of creating as much milk as possible, they wouldn't be super huge. Naturally they'd be no larger than they are on a buffalo or an antelope.