[Archive] Island of Blood models

Swissdictator:

I’m glad I’m buying the Skaven off a couple people… this should be good.

Thommy H:

Ku Klux Elf?

vulcanologist:

love that swordmaster…looks very samurai influenced, just needs a samurai sword-katana I think is the correct name.

Thommy H:

And a lynching rope.

snowblizz:

And a lynching rope.

Thommy H
Well, HE surely don't take kindly to strangers around them parts.

Thommy H:

I know they don’t like Dark Elves…

Seriously though, the first thing my fiancée said when she saw that picture was, “He looks like he’s in the KKK.” I genuinely think it’s kind of unfortunate because now I can’t see it as anything else - he proper looks like a Klansman.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Thommy H: Perhaps the biggest laugh I’ve had today :smiley:

I like these models, particularly the High Elves (I can’t believe that I said that) because they fit the feeling perfectly: not too grandiose, yet not plain and dull. They are also fair better made. My only problems with them are the shields are already attached (which makes sense), but so that you get the annoying rim of “shield attached to breastplate and arm slotted in, not strapped to arm as it should be”. Not a big problem, considering it’s a starter set. My second qualm is the back half of the griffon. The fron half looks superb, but the wings seem to slightly ‘bleed’ into each other (in the same manner as the shields I just ranted about), but not enough for me to find it a problem as a separate kit, let alone as part of the starter set (which always seems to be of slightly less sharp moulding quality, yet usually has less mould lines, lol). The back half looks a bit too smooth, but it may just be blandness and I’m not fond of the back half’s pose. It’s too elongated (much like the boars from the orc set), but a little heat could solve that, surely? It’d be nice if it looked like it was swooping in to attack prey with all legs (the back ones positioned like a bird of prey picking its meal up). Overall, looking very excellent!

Skaven: I like most of the stuff I’ve seen, but I feel the robes look a little too much like priest-vestments or women’s dresses (not that they look the same, lol) and I, for some reason, find it something I can’t get over. Having said that, all of the gadgetry looks beyond cool and amazing and I want the same guy that clam does! At first, that was for his prodder (Oh, 'eck!), which reminds me of Igor’s from Van Helsing, but now I want one to convert into a Hobgbolin slave-driver as it would be the best looking model that I’ve ever seen if done properly!

Overall, I may buy this for the small rule book, perhaps steal some (most?) of the miniatures and sell the rest off, since I collect neither High Elves, nor Skaven and I may be able to use the HE as DE in a Cult of Slaanesh army (I know it’s not legal, lol).

Baggronor:

looks very samurai influenced, just needs a samurai sword-katana I think is the correct name.
The full length scale suit is more of a Chinese/Mongolian thing :)

Kered:

Well I am impressed. I now want to get it for all the conversion possibilities, I think the griffon with a bit of love would my a decent lammaus and the rat ogres I think would make good inferno golems.

Loki:

OMG :o So glad that i am buy two starter sets as these models are well worth it, not to sure on the griffon but loving the rest of them, cant wait for them to come out now :slight_smile:

Bolg:

Hmmm, already have half ad dark elf force so I’m not going to start playing High elfs… But it looks like I cane use some of the models for my Dark force with some minor conversions.

slev:

Well, I was already planning on buying a set and swapping my HEs for a friend’s rats from her buy.

I am now very excited though.

Those RO’s are actually good, unlike the current plastics. These will fit in with my metals.

I’m intending to convert the MM into Warp Grinders, and the PWM looks perfect.

The second Warlord would need extensive conversion as two of the same model won’t look right. The Warlock would be a much easier conversion to make the two different though.

AGPO:

I don’t think the ‘clansman’ issue will be a problem once the model is painted. He reminds me more of a Parthian Kataphrakt

Thommy H:

I don't think the 'clansman' issue will be a problem once the model is painted
Depends if you paint them all in white or not. As utterly abhorrent as I find the KKK (and it's not possibly for me to easily articulate the level of my loathing for them on a family forum like this), I would paint that figure up as a Klansman for a joke - just to draw attention to the unfortunate sculpting.

clam:

GWs ‘What’s new today’ has an Island of Blood: Un-boxed article. Nothing new - guess it what everyone would expect from the starter set.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=11500028a&utm_term=warhammer&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text-link-body&utm_source=e1400001-en_GB&utm_campaign=FAQ-Update-News-en_GB

What is news then is that GW starts taking pre-orders at 10th of August.

During next week they’ll start show the actual models.

Anonymouse:

I said it somewhere before, but I’ll say it again: I just had a nerdgasm…

AGPO:

It also states explicitly 74 models

10 Swordmasters, 40 Clanrats, 2 weapons teams, 2 Rat Ogres handler, Warlord, engineer, prince, mage 5 reavers and 10 seaguard. So that rules out skaven slaves and another 10 seaguard :frowning:

Willmark:

Ku Klux Elf?

Thommy H
I dont know. Some the metal ones from 5th had the same types of helms.

Fallen246:

It also states explicitly 74 models

10 Swordmasters, 40 Clanrats, 2 weapons teams, 2 Rat Ogres handler, Warlord, engineer, prince, mage 5 reavers and 10 seaguard. So that rules out skaven slaves and another 10 seaguard :(

AGPO
The loss of the Seaguard hits hardest. I can deal with no slaves, clanrats can be changed easily, but my brother will be dissappointed that he can't have a 50 strong seaguard unit for as cheap anymore.

Loki:

Good to see that they are doing the small rule book, thats almost as good as getting all them models :slight_smile: