[Archive] It's about bloody time I painted something (We're back, son!)

khedyarl:

So, I’ve been puttering around and painting here and there, but now I’m in tournament mode.  I have two weeks to bring the list to a decent tabletop standard, and I’ll be damned if I don’t make it!

Pics of the WIP Lamassu

And here’s what I’ve done with the Iron Daemon, so far.  Wheels and crew and a few bits here and there (coal highlights) still need to happen.  The NMM iron appears to have turned out alright, but I’m still pretty shaky on doing brass/gold non metals.

I’m running out of time  : /

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

fairoaks024:

cool conversion on the lamassu, i agree with you on the painting of the iron daemon,

the greys look very convincing as steel. The yellows look like ‘yellow’ but that might just be the lighting, even so, i think it looks fantastic,

good luck getting everything ready for the tourney.

this just makes you a ‘proper’ gamer though, you’re not a gamer unless you finish something the night before the tournament starts, or in many cases, at the event in the bar before it starts :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

regards

jim

Skink:

I actually think the opposite! The Lammasu looks ok, his head is too small in my opinion. The Iron Daemon instead is excellent and I like golden/brass parts better than the iron!!!

tjub:

I actually think the opposite! The Lammasu looks ok, his head is too small in my opinion. The Iron Daemon instead is excellent and I like golden/brass parts better than the iron!!!

Skink
I'll have to agree with Skink...:)

DAGabriel:

Go, go, go! I am waiting for the next update, looking really good so far!

Animatone:

Looking good… Can’t wait to see the finished product!

CopperPot:

I like the Iron Daemon so far.

brotsorrow:

Skink
I agree with skink (mind you, an ok for Lammasu is an excellent at my skill level). Your iron daemon pops out and isn't a typical colour scheme. Great job so far. What do you still jave left to start/finish for the tourny?

gashnag:

where do you get that lammasu that you got the head from I’ve seen several people with it

Marduk:

I actually think the opposite of the opposite!

I like the Lammasu.

And I would like to know where that head is from, please.

khedyarl:

Hi guys!

Sorry for the slow response, haying season for my family just happened (good weather appeared) and I’ve been bailing and packing hay bails for people for three days, so I haven’t got much work done aside from some tertiary work on the Iron Daemon Wheels.

As for the Lamassu head (which is slightly small, I will definitely grant), it is the Raging Heroes head, I bought from a guy online after RH pulled the head from their product line. I actually kind of like the face being small for the body (which is why I tried building the head up with the hair braids so much) because I wanted it to look like the really weird, bizarre monster it is. It may actually be a little TOO small, though, but I think I’m gonna run with it, mainly because I’m a huge fan of the detail that RH put into it.

As for the tourney, I have to paint the scales/weapons on 50 Infernal Guard (30 HW+S and two units of 10 Glaives), paint the Lamassu, finish the Daemon, and paint six Fireborn. Next week I have no work, no haying, no plans. I paint six to eight hours a day until I get this shit on lockdown!

Wish me luck

brotsorrow:

Good luck bro, thats a lot to get done, but a week off helps! Make sure to post some progress pics!!!

khedyarl:

Well, it’s mostly finished.  Few little details here and there, and I’ll do the crew later on this, or next week.  Picture’s really, really bright for some reason, so everything turns out really bright and washed out.

Here’s the back of some of my Infernals:

Karring:

I like your tones, khedyarl. Fine Non Metalic Metals :cheers

Skink:

I like your tones, khedyarl. Fine Non Metalic Metals :cheers

Karring
Seconded!!! And I looooove the Iron Daemon. Quickly slap base & crew on that thing 'cause I wanna see it complete! Sexy Infernal guards as well!!!

CopperPot:

How did you do the tones on your infernal guard.

khedyarl:

It’s black primer with charadon granite as a basecoat.  Then I just highlight up with thin layers of granite mixed with white until I get the shade I want, then hit the very top edges with skull white.

The scales are the same process, except I use a dark redish brown as a base, then successive layers of it mixed with white.

EDIT:

I’ve been trying to decide how I want to give the infernals a little more colour to the front, and I think I’ll accomplish it with a rune painted on the shields. I’m thinking of going with the slave glyph from Tamurkhan, but I’m not sure what colours to do it in. What does the board think? Should I do it up in a kind of magma effect? Or something a little different?

Skink:

Well, I’m a huge fan of red-ish blazing colors. So one part of me screams: ORANGE!

Yet the other one, considering your color scheme, would tell you NMM gold.

khedyarl:

I feel as if having a freehanded glyph painted in gold on an iron coloured shield may look weird, though… Thoughts?

JMR:

Wow, I love the Infernal’s armour. Charadon Granite huh? Wouldn’t have guessed.

And ermm… it looks like you glued the end of your Iron Daemon’s exhaust pipe on upside-down :h

I’ll just call it an inspirational conversion :hat off