[Archive] Killa Kans recalled (UK and Europe)

Loki:

I had to have a little fun with this when i went to my local store, i had to ask to buy some, just to see what they would say, they did see the funny side, i could not help my self :stuck_out_tongue:

slev:

Or, from another point of view, since we gave ordinary people the means to sue the rich and powerful.

Thommy H
We already had that, and it was working very well.

What I'm talking about is the "compensation entitlement, me, me, me!" culture.

Due to the advertising, society has become so litigious, it is becoming dysfunctional. Children having to wear hard hats for donkey rides, goggles and gloves for conkers on the school yard, traditional processions and events being cancelled, et al, all typically blamed on health & safety which are, at heart, caused by the compensation culture instead.

Spikes:

Due to the advertising, society has become so litigious, it is becoming dysfunctional. Children having to wear hard hats for donkey rides, goggles and gloves for conkers on the school yard, traditional processions and events being cancelled, et al, all typically blamed on health & safety which are, at heart, caused by the compensation culture instead.

slev
In Canada, this doesn't happen. You don't win a case against a restaurant because you burned your tongue on a hot coffee. You don't win a case against a shopping center/mall when its parking is full of ice and hasn't been properly salted yet you slipped and broke a leg.

However on the flipside they did redesign children's parks. The "modules" are made of metal and plastic instead of metal and wood. They are a bit safer than they were before, yet it doesn't stop anyone from climbing atop and jumping down (breaking ribs and collar bones in the process). There is no big sign or panel that protects the city or the park's engineer against bodily harm obtained while using said park...

I mean people have common sense, and as Swissdictator said, being hurt (emotionally and physically) is part of life.

Thommy H:

We already had that, and it was working very well.

slev
Well, you have a point, but I guess what I was saying is that it needn't be one explanation or the other. You can have too much of a good thing, if you like.

I'm just really wary of people when they talk about society getting more litigious, and complaining about "compensation culture" because, in my line of work, I know that businesses really do have a duty to keep their staff healthy and safe. I mean, that's part of the service we provide (we do outside contracts for businesses as well as stuff for the hospital). That's what it comes down to really: when you purchase a product or service, or you work for someone, or you just enter a building, you have the right to feel as if you won't get injured or infected with some disease (unless you're adequately warned that these things might happen to you) and, if the proper measures aren't taken to protect you against that, someone ought to be made responsible.

But it can be taken too far, perhaps.

Border Reiver:

Man, this is akin to the warning printed on the side of the Loudspeaker my regt. uses from time to time “Warning, may emit loud noises.”

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I mean people have common sense,
Don't think that "common Sense" is all that common. I've heard stories where the employer at a local McDonnalds had to teach an employee how to sweep the floor. There are some REALLY stupid people out there!

snowblizz:

I mean people have common sense,
Don't think that "common Sense" is all that common. I've heard stories where the employer at a local McDonnalds had to teach an employee how to sweep the floor. There are some REALLY stupid people out there!

Tarrakk Blackhand
While not exactly accurate this is where I'd say: let evolution sort 'em out.

There's a certain point there about common sense. The problem often lies in motivating the effort. I'm for example thinking about ice falling from the roof of high buildings. Where the effort in time and money might not be spent unless there was a threat of significant economic loss in case of injury.

cornixt:

There is a happy medium, but there will always be extreme cases where people take it upon themselves to be too draconian or are just plain lax. Reducing the potential windfall from court cases is what chops out most of the problems from stupid people trying to exploit the system. Getting millions in damages because you slipped is obviously out of proportion, but getting compensated for breaking your leg because your employer refused to fix a leak is fair.

slev:

people when they talk about society getting more litigious, and complaining about "compensation culture" because, in my line of work, I know that businesses really do have a duty to keep their staff healthy and safe.

Thommy H
I'm a Health & Safety Environment Co-Ordination Officer by training mate. You're preaching to the choir there!

Spikes:

There is a happy medium, but there will always be extreme cases where people take it upon themselves to be too draconian or are just plain lax. Reducing the potential windfall from court cases is what chops out most of the problems from stupid people trying to exploit the system. Getting millions in damages because you slipped is obviously out of proportion, but getting compensated for breaking your leg because your employer refused to fix a leak is fair.

cornixt
Agreed.

Borador:

...Technically, if you ask me, the hobby at large is hardly suitable for anyone under 14 anyway. Glues, sharp knifes etc etc. ...

snowblizz
haha I started when I was 7 if I recall correctly ;P

and about the kans, well that's a shame, such a nice box set and stuff :O