[Archive] Kollossus and the Brass Bull of Hashut

Hashut’s Blessing:

After having read the April UK White dwarf, with the Legendary battles Article and uber-sized battle report and speaking briefly to Willmark as well as a small mention I may have made on the podcast before said conversation, I’ve decided that I’d like to, but am unsure just this second as to the logistics and costs and rewards of: building a Big Gork-sized Kollossus and/or recreating, in modular form, the Brass Bull of Hashut which was created in a campaign some time ago (I believe it was one of the Twilight Wars’ intersite campaigns). Obviously, the Kollossus could have similar rules to Big Gork, with guns replacing bolt thrower capacity. As for the Brass Bull, it was intended as a mobile war headquarters, where some of the most powerful memebers of Chaos Dwarf society planned their, well, plans. Does anyone have any ideas on rules for the Brass Bull?

What do people think of these two ideas? Any ideas of materials, starting points, research areas (other than Grudgebearer), methods of painting etc? (Having a think, I may sculpt something as best I can and use Ishkur’s tutorial’s to cast them and have them as ornaments and a theme in the army…)

Oh, the opportunities are endless… The realisation, so far. but, I shall eventually do this! (This is my project until I can get back to my Chaos dwarfs to take pictures and post them!)

torn:

im not too sure what you mean . .but am i right in thinking you want to build a giant mechanical bull crewed by chaos dwarfs and armed with big guns? so a bit like a fantasy AT-AT?

If your looking to build something big and mechanical it might be a good idea to use thicker plasticard rods and things to build it out of. you can get allsorts of shapes and sizes, as well as textured pieces.

It sounds like an interesting idea, probably very useful for traveling the dark lands in.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Effectively, yes. However, I believe it was static-legged and on wheels/tracks, but had cogs that implied it could stand akin to a Kollosus or to walk. i’ll have to find the fluff we made for it. It crushed trees due to it’s mass and size :wink: I was thinking perhaps a frame of wood/wire, but what could I use to bulk it out and to cover it in a metal look/feel effect? (Which I could paint if need be.)

torn:

you could try sheet aluminium? its not too expensive really, and can be easily cut with scissors/pliers etc.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Where would I get sheet aluminium and how easy would it be to make it look like brass? there’s also the issue of shaping it to a bull-shape.

torn:

i bought some a few years ago off ebay, A5 size. its fairly thin so can be cut and bent into shapes. i suppose it depends how big this bull is going to be. if its going to be at least a foot high then bending a body and leg shapes out of it might not be too hard. the rest of it will probably have to be sculpted from scratch though.

have you tried looking for a giant toy bull?

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Try a DIY market. Just recently I saw a modular system of racks and shelves that also uses pre-cut sheets of all sorts of metal. You can buy them separately and they seem ideal for small modelling projects.

torn:

Try a DIY market. Just recently I saw a modular system of racks and shelves that also uses pre-cut sheets of all sorts of metal. You can buy them separately and they seem ideal for small modelling projects.

Ishkur Cinderhat
thats what my job is! except i fit supermarkets and stuff, and everything is on too big of a scale to be much use for modeling unfortunately. generally everything we use is steel, so magnets also stick to it.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

I guess the size of the sheets is only a problem if Hashut’s Blessing were to make a really tiny, wimpy Brass Bull of Hashut. Right, HB? :smiley:

torn:

well the stuff i work with i could in theory make a fairly life sized brass bull. not sure how id get it to move id have to bind a daemon to it but it might be worth a try lol. not sure of the supermarket managers would be too pleased . .

Hashut’s Blessing:

I’m thinking about a foot high at the shoulders right now, but unsure how to work metal to the right contours. Also, why would I make a minibull of Hashut? I don’t disappoint Hashut!

Willmark:

Goes without saying but I will: be very careful with sheets like that. I nearly severed my tendon on my right index finger on something similar…

Hashut’s Blessing:

That was another concern of mine. I didn’t really want to attempt it using metal. More something, that when painted, I could pass off as being metallic.