[Archive] Large scale models cooperative project

Grimstonefire:

So a random thought I had today, in much the same way as we have our On Dark Tides project, it strikes me that there is a place in the market for a collectors series of large scale CD themed models.

I’m talking 60mm scale here. So big stuff!

The idea being that we would sculpt a small number of models, pick which ones to get cast then sell them.

Thoughts?

Admiral:

Neat idea! Especially if they could be used for large statues in a 28mm setting (or feed tjub’s quest for K’daai :P).

For my part though, it would have to be something for the future. I’ve never sculpted in such a scale before, but more importantly I’ve got some WIP projects and some promised ones to finish first, apart from our ships. I’ve no idea how long time that could take to check off, but after that I’d be willing to attempt a big mini.

Grimstonefire:

Oh, sure, the ship building comes first.

I happen to have a 60mm scale CD blank torso sculpted already which I may work on between now and end of year. Just a CD lord, but maybe with a back banner.

Skink:

My Destroyer can easily be a bigger scale CD:

Admiral:

@Grimstonefire: I look forward to see it!

@Skink: Haha, I immedately thought of your K’daai upon seeing this thread. It’s a great piece. :cheers

Would you be interested in making a new big evil dwarf (60mm scale)?

Skink:

Why not? Depends on the design though. I’m a bit lacking bits at the moment, and all bit websites are utterly devoid of products at the moment :o… I mean, if the design is easy to reproduce then yeah, I might give it a go.

Admiral:

It’s worth considering for the future at least. :slight_smile: Your Destroyer sculpt is great particularly the head and beard, and it wouldn’t take much effort to turn a reproduction of it into a 60mm evil dwarf which other collectors would want to have. At least in my eyes. We wouldn’t use bits from kits and cast models in the sculpts, though, since one couldn’t cast and sell them legally then. (Also, I won’t be able to contribute by financing the moulds and casting of large scale models until the ships and one or more 28mm moulds

Skink:

But I still can’t sculpt stuff like chains, spikes, skulls, et cetera :mad…

Admiral:

Those are tricky for sure, especially chains. If we get around to it, perhaps you would like to sculpt as much as you want to, and send it on to another volunteer to get the tricky stuff sorted out as per your instructions/sketches? I wouldn’t mind helping with that, if it was OK with you. Just an idea. And I’d be able to help sculpting bits much sooner than I’d be financing.

Skink:

Thumbs up! Somebody wants to come up with an (easy) concept?

Grimstonefire:

Sculpting chains is damn tricky actually. But much easier on this scale.

Admiral:

How tall to the eyes would a 60mm scale dwarf be, by the way?

@Skink: Perhaps a humble warrior with hand weapon and shield? It could still have lots of ostentatious details, and stand on guard or brace himself for the enemy’s charge or advance against the foe. Or maybe a warlord standing triumphant upon the decapitated head of a vanquised foe, resting his axe handle on the ground? Or a horn-blower with scimitar? Or a warrior with a two-handed weapon, just like your destroyer? With a hat. :wink:

The new bit of sculpting for casting would be to keep in mind how everything goes together in the mould. Probably only one or both of the arms and possibly some hand with equipment would have to be separate just like on sprues and in blisters, the rest would probably be castable as a single body. Undercuts should be no problem on a blocky dwarf body when cast in resin.

@Grimstonefire: Indeed!

Grimstonefire:

Not sure exactly on the measurements, but it depends on how ‘heroic’ you like your dwarfs.  ‘Normal scale’ (for a dwarf) might be 6:1 maybe, so head 10mm and eyes 5mm of that, meaning 55mm toe to eyes.

More heroic scale would probably be nearer 4:1, meaning head 15mm so 52.5mm or around 50mm.

That model would need both arms cut at elbows, so two parts; body and weapon with arms.