[Archive] List of FW CD rumours

brotsorrow:

Since i’ve been going back and reading as many threads as time permits, i’ve noticed a few mentions of upcoming FW CD models.

So for the people that have talked to people who know people… Please post what you have heard in regards to upcoming CD models from Forge World. If possible, please state your source.

So far i have heard centaurs, the reason(s) why hobgoblins will not be released, and there was one more that eludes me…

Thanks a lot guys!

Vogon:

There’s not much left to be honest

Talking to Steve Whitehead at the Forge World Open Day he confirmed Bull Centaurs and a K’Daai destroyer.

Steve himself is sculpting the Destroyer and Edgar Skomoroski id doing the Centaurs.

He also said no hobgoblins or wolf raiders, hobgoblins because they would be too expensive at a £ per pts rate to be worth doing. The whole team is now moving on to the next book so if anything else comes along for CD it will be a long time coming and done in the sculptor’s free time.

Cheers

Vogon

brotsorrow:

wow, thats awesome confirmation! Thank you very much.

With all the hobgoblin conversions here on the site, im comfortable with FWs reasoning.

What book are you talking about? Or did he mean the next fantasy book in general.

My last question, are there any plans to make a CD army book on its own separate from Throne of Chaos?

Vogon:

The next Warhammer Forge book, Warhammer Legends, The Battle of Black Fire Pass

Check out the Forge World Open day thread for pictures and information

Cheers

Vogon

Grimstonefire:

I was reliably informed that there were plans to do a stand alone CD book.

But since then (on the 40k side admittedly) they’ve made it clear they don’t want to revist armies until they’ve done them all.

Which doesn’t bode well for us.

brotsorrow:

The next Warhammer Forge book, Warhammer Legends, The Battle of Black Fire Pass

Check out the Forge World Open day thread for pictures and information

Cheers

Vogon

Vogon
Thanks Vogon, I will do that after breakfast. Looks like my newly acquired second job will be directing paycheques to FW instead of tuition :o

I was reliably informed that there were plans to do a stand alone CD book.

But since then (on the 40k side admittedly) they've made it clear they don't want to revist armies until they've done them all.

Which doesn't bode well for us.

Grimstonefire
Thanks Grimstonefire, is this a release from GW or FW? I only ask because is there a stand alone army book from forge world? From what i gather (assume) this is the first book with official rules for a whole army - but im basing this on hearsay

Grimstonefire:

Afaik FW have never done a stand alone book just for one army, I was told that this would have been the first.

But they’ve completely changed direction since then and all the WIP models that didn’t get into the Legion of Azgorh list are just sitting somewhere gathering dust.

AGPO:

WF had a big change of direction when Rick Priestley left the company. It’s meant a lot of cool things (Nurgle Chaos Knights, God specific books for each of the chaos powers along the lines of Tamurkhan) have fallen by the wayside. The Blackfire Pass book will feature Dwarfs, Empire (who obviously have been done before) and Greenskins, so there’s still hope that there will be more Chaos Dwarfs and Chaos stuff in general before they finish doing all the armies.

brotsorrow:

Do you guys think Greenskins will ever make it back into an official CD army list?

WF had a big change of direction when Rick Priestley left the company. It’s meant a lot of cool things (Nurgle Chaos Knights, God specific books for each of the chaos powers along the lines of Tamurkhan) have fallen by the wayside. The Blackfire Pass book will feature Dwarfs, Empire (who obviously have been done before) and Greenskins, so there’s still hope that there will be more Chaos Dwarfs and Chaos stuff in general before they finish doing all the armies.

AGPO
That’s too bad about the talent leaving. Didn’t the same thing happen to GW a few years back? I heard something but i was trying really hard not to pay attention in fear of getting sucked back into Hashut’s service. The book sounds great actually. I have fallen for FW’s style of story telling in all aspects - story, presentation, characters, and the actual books are fantastic.

tvandyke:

That's too bad about the talent leaving. Didn't the same thing happen to GW a few years back? I heard something but i was trying really hard not to pay attention in fear of getting sucked back into Hashut's service. The book sounds great actually. I have fallen for FW's style of story telling in all aspects - story, presentation, characters, and the actual books are fantastic.

brotsorrow
Yeah, Chaos Dwarfs always seem to have a bit of bad luck in this regard.  Back when Tuomas Pirinen was the head of the design studio (5th, 6th edition), he had written a new Chaos Dwarf book and it was in the playtesting stages (outside play testers were testing the rules) and models were being sculpted (great weapon cd's for example).  However the project got put on hold when Tuomas re-wrote the core rules for the release of 6th edition.  Tuomas was a huge Choas Dwarf fan, in fact, it was one of, if not his favorite, army (he owned and played a chaos dwarf army before being hired to GW full time).  He was responsible for the Ravening Hordes list that many of us have been using for years.  Then the worst thing happened, Tuomas left the company for greener pastures shortly after the release of 6th edition and Gavin Thorpe took over the lead position of the design studio.  I remember having a conversation with Gav back in August 2000 during a game of pool at Bugmans (a group of us was there from the US for the GT) and we talked about Chaos Dwarfs (Tuomas was still there, this was right before the release of 6th).  He didn't come right out and trash CD's, but alluded that he thought they were a bit silly.  I just figured he meant the big hat sculpts, but in later years, I heard other people state that Gav hated the whole CD concept in general.  Whether that was true or not, it was obvious that the chance of seeing a new CD army come out of the main studio was lost when Tuomas left the company. It seems that we may have seen a more thorough FW chaos dwarf force had Rick Priestley stuck around.

Discoking:

I quite like the LoA list, & its great that the list is being allowed in more & more tourneys/game caves.

But my main worry is when all the 8th books are done, & when 9th ed comes out…

8th is all about infantry, which is good…

But what if 9th is totally different, magic gets worse etc…

We’ll be stuck with LoA.

I wonder if FW would update LoA, or release a new book, or whether GW would pick up the job.

Perhaps if they weren’t Chaos Dwarfs - and if they were called Dawi Zharr they’d be taken more seriously by the main studio?

Either way, I love my chaos dwarfs.

brotsorrow:

Tvandyke - wow that’s a fantastic piece of history there. It truly is too bad that one person’s disdain can affect a whole sub-community of the Warhammer Fantasy world :frowning:

Congrats that you’ve been to Bugman’s as that is on my bucket list!

tvandyke:

Tvandyke - wow that's a fantastic piece of history there. It truly is too bad that one person's disdain can affect a whole sub-community of the Warhammer Fantasy world :(

Congrats that you've been to Bugman's as that is on my bucket list!

brotsorrow
Thanks. It was an awesome experience for me. One of my good friends was a freelance writer for GW (he wrote a lot of Mordheim stuff as well as the tactics article that showed up in the one the Lizardman codexes). He was also a very good friend to Tuomas, as a result he got invited to the annual designers dinner. Since we tagged along with him, the rest of our group got invited as well. It was really cool hanging out with Tuomas, Rick Priestley, Jervis Johnson, Gav, etc, for an entire evening. We also took a tour of the design studio. I got to see a lot of in-progress sculpts. To top it all off, I finished in the top 10 of the GT in a field of 214 (using my Nurgle Marauder army, not my CD's sad to say).

Thommy H:

I think it’s a bit unfair to tarnish Gav as some sort of Chaos Dwarf hater, since he wrote Grudgebearer, which introduced the concepts of the Immortals and the Kolossus. I imagine his issue was with the rather cartoonish big hat Chaos Dwarfs of 4th/5th Edition rather than the idea of the race as a whole. 6th Edition, over which he presided, was about making the Warhammer world a lot darker and more serious, and I don’t think the Chaos Dwarfs fit into that as they were - hence being gradually reintroduced through Storm of Chaos as Daemonsmiths allied to the Warriors of Chaos, which culminated in the situation we have today. So that was Gav’s vision. Tuomas may have gone in a similar direction - there’s a thread in the Stories and Background section that details his “lost” rules, and obviously they went into the studio’s melting pot, but I don’t think you can say that one guy would have made it happen and one guy stood in his way. It just wasn’t the time for Chaos Dwarfs for whatever reason.

tvandyke:

I think it's a bit unfair to tarnish Gav as some sort of Chaos Dwarf hater, since he wrote Grudgebearer, which introduced the concepts of the Immortals and the Kolossus. I imagine his issue was with the rather cartoonish big hat Chaos Dwarfs of 4th/5th Edition rather than the idea of the race as a whole. 6th Edition, over which he presided, was about making the Warhammer world a lot darker and more serious, and I don't think the Chaos Dwarfs fit into that as they were - hence being gradually reintroduced through Storm of Chaos as Daemonsmiths allied to the Warriors of Chaos, which culminated in the situation we have today. So that was Gav's vision. Tuomas may have gone in a similar direction - there's a thread in the Stories and Background section that details his "lost" rules, and obviously they went into the studio's melting pot, but I don't think you can say that one guy would have made it happen and one guy stood in his way. It just wasn't the time for Chaos Dwarfs for whatever reason.

Thommy H
Like I said, I believe Gav wasn't too keen on the silliness of the big hats (of course, a lot of 3rd and 4th edition sculpts were someone silly). I don't believe Gav was 100% against the idea of a new CD army, just that it was really low on his priority list compared to Tuomas. I don't have any doubts that had Tuomas remained the head of the design we would have gotten our first real CD codex. That was really the point I was making, I wasn't trying to trash Gav.

Thommy H:

Armies book. Codexes are in 40K.

And I don’t know - maybe. It’s not about one person. I don’t know where Chaos Dwarfs would have fit into the schedule or design ethic of 6th Edition. In place of Ogres? Would that necessarily have been a good thing? It’s all academic now anyway: we all spent years arguing back and forth about whether Chaos Dwarfs were dead and buried or not and whose fault it was if they were and what might have been if circumstances had been different, but now they’re back and there are real models, so it doesn’t really matter.

tvandyke:

Armies book. Codexes are in 40K.

And I don't know - maybe. It's not about one person. I don't know where Chaos Dwarfs would have fit into the schedule or design ethic of 6th Edition. In place of Ogres? Would that necessarily have been a good thing? It's all academic now anyway: we all spent years arguing back and forth about whether Chaos Dwarfs were dead and buried or not and whose fault it was if they were and what might have been if circumstances had been different, but now they're back and there are real models, so it doesn't really matter.

Thommy H
Understood. It's just hard not to muse about what might have been had Tuomas and/or Rick stuck around.

Kaliburnen:

I do like the Ogres, but I wouldn’t have minded if they were replaced with Chaos Dwarves… Or joined together

brotsorrow:

Thanks.  It was an awesome experience for me.  One of my good friends was a freelance writer for GW (he wrote a lot of Mordheim stuff as well as the tactics article that showed up in the one the Lizardman codexes).  He was also a very good friend to Tuomas, as a result he got invited to the annual designers dinner.  Since we tagged along with him, the rest of our group got invited as well.  It was really cool hanging out with Tuomas, Rick Priestley, Jervis Johnson, Gav, etc, for an entire evening.  We also took a tour of the design studio.  I got to see a lot of in-progress sculpts.  To top it all off, I finished in the top 10 of the GT in a field of 214 (using my Nurgle Marauder army, not my CD's sad to say).

tvandyke
WOW!!!! What a great time you must have had!! Another congrats on the great finish in the GT. :cheers

Samanos:

I quite like the LoA list, & its great that the list is being allowed in more & more tourneys/game caves.

But my main worry is when all the 8th books are done, & when 9th ed comes out...

8th is all about infantry, which is good...
But what if 9th is totally different, magic gets worse etc...
We'll be stuck with LoA.

I wonder if FW would update LoA, or release a new book, or whether GW would pick up the job.

Perhaps if they weren't Chaos Dwarfs - and if they were called Dawi Zharr they'd be taken more seriously by the main studio?

Either way, I love my chaos dwarfs.

Discoking
i would'nt worry too much if i were you.
all the scenarios you said above are possible. but gw must have noticed the interest that still exists for this army. the fact that we now have an army list and new models and most major tourneys allow the list can only mean well for us.

keep positive attitude and go and capture some slaves:hat