[Archive] [LoA] Sorcerer-Prophet unusual ideas

MLP:

Most people here seem to use the Sorcerer-Prophet in one of two ways:

-On foot with 2+ 4++ within a bunker of Infernal Guard (Crown of Command occasionally)

-Mounted flying around causing hassle.

Both usually with Lore of Hashut, occasionally Death or Fire mostly when mounted.

I would like to know if people use them differently and what tactics they use for their Prophet.

One to start that I plan to try in the future is a reargard Lore of Metal Aug/Hex Spellcaster Prophet. He basically stays behind the main line casting some of the awesome Metal Buffs, for example: reducing enemy armour(permanently!) and making your Infernal Guard 1+ 6++ troops!

So what are your unusual Prophet tactics?

maded12:

On paper I like your idea. But the problem is that a prophet is easily 20% of your total points (average games are 2-2,5K a prophet usually costs in the 400pts)

20% is a lot. This is one of the down sides of the loa list. If you are taking a prophet you have to make the most of him or you are wasting to much points. This seems to be the main reason most prophet builds are roughly the same. There simply aren’t any good other options.

Deamonsmiths on the other hand are excellent ‘support’ chars. They boost your war machines, are lvl 1/2 wizards and fight just hard enough to stop/slow down annoying (ethereal) skirmishers. If you want to have support troops take 1/2 of those and kick ass with the prophet (no pun intended)

MLP:

On paper I like your idea. But the problem is that a prophet is easily 20% of your total points (average games are 2-2,5K a prophet usually costs in the 400pts)

20% is a lot. This is one of the down sides of the loa list. If you are taking a prophet you have to make the most of him or you are wasting to much points. This seems to be the main reason most prophet builds are roughly the same. There simply aren't any good other options.

Deamonsmiths on the other hand are excellent 'support' chars. They boost your war machines, are lvl 1/2 wizards and fight just hard enough to stop/slow down annoying (ethereal) skirmishers. If you want to have support troops take 1/2 of those and kick ass with the prophet (no pun intended)

maded12
Well I've got to disagree it's a waste of points using a Prophet in a different way, just because he's not near the front getting beaten up in combat! If anything I'm making more use as I'm using him for war machine reroll and skirmisher protection behind the lines!

In a unit of Infernals over say three turns of combat in a game he's going to kill about 10 rank and file if he's lucky. Maybe in a challenge he might come out okay and kill a hero or crap lord as well but it's risky for him.

Also I wouldn't say the Prophet kicks ass, he is better than most other lord mages but he's isn't fantastic.

I'm sure there's people out there that use Prophets in different ways to the usual?

What about a mounted prophet with that 100pt magic item that cause panic and things to blow up?! fly into the middle of the enemy and unleash the fury!

maded12:

In a slug match between units he will kill 1-2 infantrymen per round. That’s not a lot but it’s still a few points of extra combat results :slight_smile:

He is just like the rest of the dwarfs. Slow, unmoving, unbending and perfect for grinding out the slug fests.

As for the mounted prophet with the 100pt thingie. It’s been tried and discussed to death in a different part of the forum. The general consensus was that taking such an expensive model with a 1shot gizmo was not worth it.

If you want to go for something ‘different’, how about focusing your build around the chalice of blood and darkness? At battles of around 2200pts you can create a really backbreaking magic phase. Especially if you have a few scroll carriers with you.

Jaakko:

The only ‘unusual’ build I’ve tried is one for a campaign, which is built around a lot of fluff and the personality I’ve given the Prophet. He was level 4, riding a Lammasu (level 1). He was using Lore of Death and the Lammasu was using Fire. So all in all not so different from any other Prohpet. Unfortunately I can’t recall the Magic Items he was wearing.

metro_gnome:

well as maded12 said I think fun things can be done around the Chalice…
especially if you can get your dice back… wand of jet, power stone, channeling staff and hope to roll a Spell-wrought…
thing with this is that all 4 items are arcane… so you have to really invest in additional smiths… which is expensive…
and using the chalice to just destroy magic phases is probably more effective…
Still with a foot Prophet and 3 smiths you can bring 10 levels of magic yourself at something like 70 points per level…
for about 30% (@2500) of your army you could pull some nasty combos… especially if you lean on life leeching a little…

I’m not sure I see the point of the metal prophet in the rearguard…
I mean hexing down armor permanently when your rely on high armor for the ranged effects in the lore seems counter productive…
I could see the metal wizard on a bale taurus though… hexs and buffs would actually come more in handy in CC…
especially as we agree that the prophet is not exactly a combat king without such assistance…
keep him level 3… give him a bale or maybe even just a GT and get him stuck in with glittering robes and enchanted blades…
drop some lead and rust… and you and moo moo can probably smash some serious units…

The only other thing I can think of would be 2 hellcannons and spamming death magic (not just prophets) for doom and darkness…
Bring a khan with the mask of eeee and the wailing banner for all kinds of leadership hysterics…

tvandyke:

Also I wouldn't say the Prophet kicks ass, he is better than most other lord mages but he's isn't fantastic.

MLP
I've got 10 games in with my LOA list and my Prophet hasn't died yet and it's your standard 2+/4+ saves, Lore of Hashut build. He's been locked in a Challenge with a tooled up Vamp Lord, tooled up Savage Orc Lord and a Slaughtermaster and survived them all (he was left with 1 wound a couple of times though). I always just use my Darkforged weapon. Against the Savage Orc Lord I rolled the "wound on 2+ effect" and actually ended up killing the Savage Orc before he killed me (took about 3 combat rounds). Against the Vamp Lord, I rolled up the "D3 wound effect" and actually scored a wound that turned into 3 against him. The game ended with both of us sitting on 1 wound. From a Magic perspective, the amount of destruction that my Prophet has dished out from Ash Storm/Flames of Azgorh have been amazing. Add to that Breath of Hatred and I've had a bunch of combats where both my IG units and sometimes even my Destroyer have had hatred. As the saying goes, if it's not broke, don't fix it. I haven't played enough games yet to get bored just yet. I have the new Bale Taurus with Prophet model from FW sitting on my shelf waiting in the paint queue so when it's done I'm sure I'll try that on for size. What I don't think I'll ever do is stick my Prophet in the back and just cast hex and augment spells. For 385 points, he better be causing destruction and augmenting his troops with magic as well as doing his part in hth. If he wasn't answering challenges and somewhat neutralizing those nasty opposing characters, they'd be left to slice and dice through the IG units. I don't want that.

MLP:

metro_gnome: that souonds like a crazy idea with all those smiths! I like it! I’ve discussed the Chalice before in another thread and keep meaning to try out a build with it, too many ideas not enough opponents!

tvandyke: sounds like you’ve had some great experiences with your Standard build Prophet! I probably will keep on using him in the same way, I started this thread thinking there would be more unusual ideas for him but it seems I was wrong.

propervillanz:

I have been tossing the idea of this build around for a bit, but have yet to have a chance to play it yet.

Sorcerer-Prophet

Level 4 (Lore of Hashut or Death)

Blood of Hashut

Pistol

Fozzorick’s Folding Fortress (4-5 stories)

He will go into a unit of 20 fireglaivers or 25 Blunderbusses, not sure which i like more. Essentially, the list will be built around the classic Dwarf Castle, but with an actual castle holding up in the middle of my line.