[Archive] Looking for Oglah Khan's Wolfboyz ideas

Kera foehunter:

Well i think Merchant and Kyte Both used the Flagellants with the gobo heads!!!
if it was me !! and you have goblins !!! i use night goblin and cut them in half them and put green stuff in the middle and you can use the Mongolian goblin type heads that comes in the goblin army !!!
Watch xander hobgoblin video it shows steps how to use goblin to make hobgoblins

Groznit Goregut:

Thanks Kera! You know, I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed in no responses. Perhaps this website isn’t as highly trafficked as some. Or perhaps I didn’t ask nicely enough? Anyways, I’m glad it’s a good pirate that brings help. I’m a bit of a privateer, myself, and continually get cheap piratical gifts from friends who found them and thought of me. I also think your cat-shark is quite humorous.

I am also not trying to bash this site. I think the webzine you guys do is done very well. It was looking at that that inspired me to think of Oglah Khan in the first place. I’ve got an All Mounted Orcs and Goblins list that does quite well. It could use another cavalry unit with more punch, though. I’ve got 2 large boar boyz units and squig hoppers, but those are the only real units with punch (besides wyvern lord and giant). I’ve got lots of fast cav, but they just don’t have enough ummphh! I’m thinking Oglah might help out a bit. I might even add my Suicide Goblin to the unit to make it a bit tougher.

I’ve posted a few places around the web and I am always surprised by the people that always bring up more info on the flagellant / hobgoblin infantry. I usually bring it up as an example of something really creative that is not just an “improved” goblin. Everyone wants to link me back to the tutorial.

I have not looked at the video, but I will. Much thanks on that!

I did some good advice from Da Warpath, where I usually hang my helmet. I figured I would share some of that here. The first is something that is from “Kyte’s Chaos Dwarf Diary” in The Hand of Hashut. I don’t know if you guys are Chaos Dwarves Divided or United. Well, he took the BFSP night goblins and combined them with regular goblin wolf rider legs to make some really good hobgoblins. I like them especially for the fact that they appear bigger than regular goblins and not like regular goblins. The only problem I have is that they aren’t particularly mongol /steppe like. I’m thinking of trying to cut off their little hooded heads and replace them with the furred hat gobbo head. If I do that, though, I think the arms might be too big. That means I might be having to replace them with gobbo arms. So, at this point, though, I am wondering if that’s too much replacement, or just more than I am used to and I should shut up and learn to convert more? Anyways, here is a link and a picture:

Hand of Hashut - scroll down for wolf riders

As for 3rd party products, someone did point me towards Black Tree Design. They definitely have the mongol / steppe style wolf riders, but I worry that they are just as small as regular goblins. I want something that people look at and say, “those definitely aren’t goblin wolf riders”.

Here is a good picture of one:

Thanks for the help and I figure that even if I don’t get a lot of answers, I can compile my research for the next person that is trying to find the same answers.

snowblizz:

Dude! 3:00 AM, totally asleep at that time!

For the Black Tree miniatures, they will be even smaller than goblins! Think 3rd/4th ed GW scale and you are quite spot on. Tiny!

If you think you can pull of Kyte’s conversion, I’d suggest the following. Model the fur trimmed hat over the Night Gobbo hood, cut it down where it is really pointy. Put some fur trim on the robes. Should give a credible steppe look? Sure they’ll have robes and hoods underneath but then I also dress warm when it is cold with several layers of clothes.

Groznit Goregut:

Ah, thanks for the heads-up on the Black Tree sizes. Yeah, they looked small. They look good, though, if you want to do a gobbo wolf rider.

Whenever I find some spare time…whenever that is…I will have to just start chopping up a BFSP night goblin and comparing bits and sizes. I admit that I have very limited conversion skills and very limited greenstuff skills, but maybe this is the project to branch out? I have enough BFSP gobbos that I can waste a few to learn.

One thing that I keep thinking about when I see pictures of these old hobgoblins, is how long their faces are. They are a bit thin, too (with big noses). Has anyone tried to use an elf face with a new nose before? I don’t really have elf heads laying around, so it might not really work. Maybe I would be able to cut up some old 6th gobbo noses and stick them on an orc head? You would need a new nose for the orcs… Maybe I’m stretching it too far. I think gobbo heads would still be best.

snowblizz:

Ah, thanks for the heads-up on the Black Tree sizes.  Yeah, they looked small.  They look good, though, if you want to do a gobbo wolf rider.  

Whenever I find some spare time.....whenever that is....I will have to just start chopping up a BFSP night goblin and comparing bits and sizes.  I admit that I have very limited conversion skills and very limited greenstuff skills, but maybe this is the project to branch out?  I have enough BFSP gobbos that I can waste a few to learn.  

One thing that I keep thinking about when I see pictures of these old hobgoblins, is how long their faces are.  They are a bit thin, too (with big noses).  Has anyone tried to use an elf face with a new nose before?  I don't really have elf heads laying around, so it might not really work.  Maybe I would be able to cut up some old 6th gobbo noses and stick them on an orc head?  You would need a new nose for the orcs....  Maybe I'm stretching it too far.  I think gobbo heads would still be best.

Groznit Goregut
You are quite right, the Hobgoblins have fairly gaunt faces, from what I can see. I've never had any so... I don't think Elf heads would work, too small I'd say or too fine features. I was actually thinking about the 6th ed plastic Night Goblin heads, well for "regular" hobgoblins anyway. The regular Goblin heads might work? Easier to make them look nomadic, they are halfway there already. There's also Gnoblar heads, but they might be too small again.

Kera foehunter:

what i do my privateer buddy !! take one of the goblin heads from ver 6th

and get the one with there mouths open and take a hobby knife and shave down the side of the heads to make them look thiner

this is the cheapest way to make hobo heads

snowblizz:

what i do my privateer buddy !! take one of the goblin heads from ver 6th
and get the one with there mouths open and take a  hobby knife and shave down  the side of the heads to make  them look thiner
this is the cheapest way to make hobo heads

Kera foehunter
Well if it is *hobo* heads, aren't the streets full of them over there? Some disassembly required of course.

Kera foehunter:

i don’t know i live on the water?? i just feed them to my cat!

Groznit Goregut:

Shaving down the faces…hmmm…that is a good idea! I do have a bunch of 6th Ed goblin and night goblin heads. I see how the night gobbos would be good for regular hobgoblins, but I think the furred hat ones will be best for Oglah Khan’s. I will probably get the goblin hero box for the Khan, himself. I will need to greenstuff on a fu-manchu mustache, after I learn how to make one.

OK…so I tried to take the BFSP gobbo and attach a regular gobbo head. No go. The head is freakishly large on the body. The arms are like sticks and the shield is way to close (and small) to the face. It was quite comical, though.

At this point, I am getting a bit crazy. I am going to look at a bunch of MageKnight figures to see if there is a good torso to cut out. A friend of mine bought a huge box of them for not much to proxy some units. He’s more into the gaming than the hobby. He managed to make a doombull list that stomped me out of them. Anyways, so I just need to find a torso that is big enough to take a gobbo head and look vaguely decent enough. I don’t think it will be too hard.

Good news, though. I recall that I had a friend that had gotten some Oglah Khan figures years ago. His toddler son had smashed them up and lost a bunch of the pieces. He gave me a number of the left over bitz. I’ve got 2 spear arms, a musician horn, and a banner arm. To be honest, the arms and spear are too thin, but I can always cut off the armored shoulder pad. I also got a few of the bows and quivers from the set, as well. I think it should be enough to help out in the detail dept.

Thanks for all help.

starscream:

I have units of both Oglah and Gazahk khans wolfboys. They certainly add a bit of character.

Someone recently did amazing wolfriders combining wolves and wargs, theres a thread somewhere showing it.

Superfella has recently come up with a great way to make mongol style hobbos, maybe he could post the results.

edit… found it,

https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/8633

superfella:

Superfella has recently come up with a great way to make mongol style hobbos, maybe he could post the results.

starscream
Im still suffering technical problems in that my gf's laptop doesnt like to upload photos, so watch this space and a sneak preview photo from my upcoming blog "Superfella's Hobgolians / Mongoblins (cant decide a name for mongolian hobgoblins!) will be posted in the near future.

Kera foehunter:

the only thing with the night goblin with the mustache they may look more dwarf

so keep it thin !! you could also use the goblin with the Mongolian style hat and shave off the ears. This will make the faces appear thinner and longer! or just cut the hat off and put it on another figure.

superfella:

Im still suffering technical problems in that my gf's laptop doesnt like to upload photos, so watch this space and a sneak preview photo from my upcoming blog "Superfella's Hobgolians / Mongoblins (cant decide a name for mongolian hobgoblins!) will be posted in the near future.

superfella
cracked it thanks to starscreams technical advice line!

will post a "how to" blog when I get more photos of the models at each stage.

hope these help.

(incase you were wondering, I copied the idea from someone else's hobgoblins, but I cant remember who).

slev:

Love the moustache. Very HG.

superfella:

thanks buddy!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Groznit Goregut:

WOW! That’s really cool. I’m not used to using greenstuff, so I would have to learn. It looks really good, though. Thanks for showing.

Kera foehunter:

superfeller great job love the guy !! i might have to add these bad boys to my crew

Borador:

check this out for more ideas:
http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/liste_familles.cfm?type=normal&num=7&code_lg=lg_us

(orcs with armor looking like the huns or the horde of ghengis khan)

BTW really like what you sculpted, keep it up

Joshmohr:

Probably the worst time to ask this, but where can i find the rules for the Kolossus?

_ _

( )( )

\ …/

– /ooo— Hail the horned rat.

O

superfella:

Probably the worst time to ask this, but where can i find the rules for the Kolossus?

_  _
  ( )( )
   \ ../
-- \/ooo--- Hail the horned rat.
     O

Joshmohr
not so much the wrong time... more the wrong thread lol.

are there actual rules for the colossus? id just count it as a DOW giant.