[Archive] Looking for readers

Anonymouse:

Hi all,

Since being unemployed turned me slightly loopy, I decided to pick up an old hobby and started writing again. So far, this resulted in an almost finished book. Yay for me.

However, before I’m doing anything else besides just finishing it, I’d like to get some feedback from proofreaders.

My request is to all of you who are interested in sci-fi, who of you would be interested in acting as a proofreader? Preferably native-English speaking/writing/reading.

The things I’m mainly looking for in a proofreader are:

- have I left any ‘holes’ in the story? Inconsistencies? Omissions? etc.

- brutal honesty. However, I’m looking for brutal honesty with well-worked arguments (you can say “I don’t like it” but I would like to know why not and what errors I made. For example, just saying, “I don’t like the presence of the clowns. Period.” won’t really help me. If you don’t like them, why not? Suggestions are most welcome, of course.)

- do the characters progress or do they remain ‘flat’?

- have I made up grammatical errors (since English isn’t my native tongue)? I know I have the tendency to use ‘that’ instead of ‘which’ (I’m Dutch), and similar not-quite-correct expressions.

- is it a story you like? You don’t have to like it, but it would help :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance.

Fequiil:

For example, just saying, "I don't like the presence of the clowns. Period."

Anonymouse
there are going to be clowns in it?
sounds good.:P
and now in dutch:
klinkt goed.:P

Anonymouse:

I know :wink:

No, really: the clowns were just a side-remark. However, they MIGHT just pop up, you can never be quite sure with clowns. Horrible organisms.

However, it does feature pirates, legal action, mysteries & intrigue, blood, torturers and for some reason a trip into alternate realities. If you might be interested, oh reader, just PM (or M, or send smoke-signals).

Anonymouse:

So… no one? At all?

:s

Blind Berzerker:

Pass it my way; I’ll have a crack at it.

My English is near-native (yes; I’m Dutch as well :smiley: ), but I’m extra keen on ‘Neder-Engels’, as I’m as horrified by it as you…

I’m kind of curious now, hoping the clowns are on the receiving end of whatever shoots in your story :slight_smile:

Da Crusha:

I’d love to help but I hate to read (in fact I didn’t even finish your post;))

cornixt:

I didn’t even see this when it was originally posted. How long is it?

Anonymouse:

I finished at about 300 pages. Yah. I know :stuck_out_tongue:

Blind Berzerker:

:o Hogdangit!

You’ve written a whole book there already!

Give me a couple of weeks, to fit it into my schedule please… :slight_smile:

Anonymouse:

No prob, will send it later today. Cheers mate :slight_smile:

Baggronor:

I’ll give it a go :slight_smile:

Lord maklai:

I’ll give it a go, i read every day…seriously EVERY DAY