[Archive] Looking to the future of Chaos Dwarfs

Bitterman:

So, following that pattern, 9th should really be just 8.5, with the same ethos and design goals, but fixing some small niggles (I bet disruption will negate Steadfast in 9th, for example).

Thommy H
Agreed (sadly... I'm personally not a fan of 8th Ed... to say the least).

Da Crusha:

why all the talk about 9th? is that gonna come out any time soon? Ive heard about a new 40k being released soon but nothing about fantasy.

MLP:

why all the talk about 9th? is that gonna come out any time soon? Ive heard about a new 40k being released soon but nothing about fantasy.

Da Crusha
I think people are going on the timeframe of previous edition releases so expecting 9th to be in 2014/15. I've not heard anything but then I may not be listening in the right places.

rpitts2004:

Well considering BRets and Woodelves have had there books since 5th edition, I wouldn’t hold your breath for any updates or changes for every edition (only FAQS)

Thommy H:

6th Edition. The 5th Edition books were all overhauled at the start of 6th. 5th Edition books had a totally different format.

rpitts2004:

Da Crusha
Yeah and why push to get an updated book for a new edition. took them long enough to even give us LOA

Veshnakar:

I wasn’t so much pushing for it at all. Just merely curious as to what the future holds for us.

thrawn:

I see LoA as being nothing more than a get-you-by list. GW will _eventually_ release a proper army book of CDs and LoA will end up being an old army list variant (technically it is currently a regular variant list). Maybe LoA will inspire GW to do some similar changes, or maybe GW will have noticed that the army plays completely differently to the old army (and has very few similar units) and yet has been siezed as the de facto army list, so they will be comfortable starting from scratch with a new list.

cornixt
i think that is highly unlikely. sounds right that someone in high up GW doesn't like chaos dwarfs, as they've been around for ever, but have never been given proper attention.

on the bright side, we can look forward to a k'daai destroyer and centaurs near the end of the summer. anyone hear any updates on them?

beefcake:

That sounds good. I want bull centaurs!!!

cornixt:

sounds right that someone in high up GW doesn't like chaos dwarfs, as they've been around for ever, but have never been given proper attention.

thrawn
The high-ups have changed several times in the last decade, so I don't think there is a particular individual involved. Gav Thorpe publically stated while he was in charge that he kept them from being redone because he thought they would be silly, yet he went on to create a non-silly version of them in a novel and was no longer in a position to do them after that anyway.

Ugly Green Trog:

on the bright side, we can look forward to a k'daai destroyer and centaurs near the end of the summer. anyone hear any updates on them?

thrawn
I am really hoping they do the Bull Centaurs properly with kits for all the options. The annoying thing is they will probably release em with the most useless option first :P. I hope you don't get all the options in 1 kit as this will probably make it more expensive. I'd also like a command kit but that might be hoping for too much.

MLP:

thrawn
I am really hoping they do the Bull Centaurs properly with kits for all the options. The annoying thing is they will probably release em with the most useless option first :P. I hope you don't get all the options in 1 kit as this will probably make it more expensive. I'd also like a command kit but that might be hoping for too much.

Ugly Green Trog
Well I would expect maybe two seperate sets each with a single option and probably not bothering with spears. Maybe a set with Hand weapon and shield with posible optional extra hand weapon arm instead of the shield. And another set with Great Weapons.

I imagine it would be a lot of work for them to bother with many options, similar to Infernal guard who don't have Blunderbusses or great weapon options (although you can viably use Fireglaives for either).

Bitterman:

As they’re not Core I’d be surprised if we see any options at all. Happy, but surprised. I’m expecting to see Great Weapons only, and no command group.

I’d really, really like to be wrong about this, though. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Barukh:

I really don’t see GW doing anything with CD right now. Legion of Azgorh is fine where it is at. Fluff makes sense with the unit choices. We don’t suck. Plus, we are Forge World. If anything, it will be a nice change to the FAQ. After that, nothing. We shouldn’t freak out about 9th until the year it is actually coming out.

gIL^:

Chaos Dwarfs have and always will be Niche. Many people even now hate everything about The Chaos Dwarfs, In the Fluff it makes no sense, In game terms it gives chaos guns and they are on a Tech level that seems so far ahead of anything else.

These are the reason why i like CD’s! An industrial machine lumbering unceasingly giving fluff goers another view of what chaos is. They don’t care to much about the going on’s in foreign fields, They want to stay at home and build and drink!

These are reason why you won’t get a chaos dwarf army book, It’s just to different! Also most of you here probably picked up Chaos Dwarfs because they are different, niche and exclusive. No one here wants the chaos dwarfs to mainstream because that would be the end of the exclusivity we all seek.

Right now you have a list that i think is the best list CD’s have ever had and will not be seen as OOP for 8-9 years so i say enjoy what you have, 4 Years ago we had nothing but a little website and xander building earthshakers from toys so i think we are now spoiled.

cornixt:

They aren’t really at a huge tech level, it’s roughly the same as Empire and regular dwarfs but with better gunpowder (plus daemons added).

gIL^:

They aren't really at a huge tech level, it's roughly the same as Empire and regular dwarfs but with better gunpowder (plus daemons added).

cornixt
I cant agree with that according to the fluff in Tamurkhan :

"Fireglaives are complex to make, Their mechanisms far beyond the inferior arts of humankind"

"The Chaos Dwarfs possess a mastery of steam technology that far surpasses that of the engineers of the empire"

"One of the latest designs to see widespread service within the chaos dwarf empire is the iron daemon, a compact, armoured steam-driven traction engine"

^^ This is what strikes me as a very interesting quote, The empire have the steam tank but the secrets were lost and there is 12? Where the iron daemon is Mass produced and the same with everything else including the  automatic breech loading semi repeating rifle. Also The iron daemon is a tool for mining and isn't an actual warmachine, It interests me to think what the chaos dwarfs would surmise if they wanted a warmachine.

The empire except the whole laser thing which isn't tech but magic ( as with daemon binding ) is all well and nice but from my judgement the mass produced weaponry is a very early flintlock and the dwarfs not far ahead of them. A automatic breech loading semi repeating rifle is so far advanced its like comparing a WWII Spitfire with a F-35.

khedyarl:

Little bit of hyperbole, no, Gil?

The Empire have hand-held gatling-gun weaponry, mechanical horses, etc. And the difference between a bayonetted breech loading rifle (Fireglaive) and a hand held gatling gun (repeater handgun) isn’t exactly massive - in fact, they are roughly the same era. (And if you really want to get into semantics, hell, modern day earth can’t even build mechanical horses that you can ride around in the forest)

Dwarves have aircraft, submarines, iron ships, etc.

The technology available in the old world isn’t linear - Chaos Dwarfs in Tamurkhan had no idea how the Empire could put out such an enormous amount of fire-power (Outriders) when they besieged Nuln, for example. It is, above all else, a fantasy game with stuff thrown into it by guys that don’t fully understand the implications of specific inventions. It has rectangle shaped aircraft spraying down enemies with high pressured steam - mechanical horse mounted engineers riding into combat alongside steam powered tanks and magic laser cannons, midgets constructing land-trains fueled by skull-shaped coal, the list goes on, and on, and on. The game is ludicrous, and trying to correlate the timeframes into something that makes sense pretty simply isn’t going to work. Take it at face value, a great deal of suspension of disbelief is required, perhaps, but Warhammers insanity is what makes it so fun.

gIL^:

Good points, But the point im trying to make is all the Chaos dwarf stuff is mass produced.

So what we can all agree on in the old worlds weaponry isn’t linear and is the product of the engineers mind. But the Chaos Dwarf have perfected mass production and are a more technologically driven society.

Thommy H:

Yes, I think that’s a fair assessment. The resources of the Plain of Zharr and the Chaos Dwarfs’ thorough cannibalisation of it mean they can do stuff like arm the thousands upon thousands of Chaos Warriors in the north apparently without compromising their own war machine.