[Archive] looks like the final curtain for damnatus

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

despite years of work on it and petitions ect, i know discussion has been going for quite a while but this came up knocking another nail in the coffin

BBC NEWS | Technology | Copyright law scuppers fan film

Pyro Stick:

Games Workshop have no soul…

They are trying to find any excuse to make sure that film doesnt get shown. It would probably get loads of people into 40k which would benefit GW in the long run.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

It’s a sad and tragic story. The Damnatus development team have their forum where I am moderator, so I kind of read about the trouble every day during the past weeks.

After years of fans bugging them to finish the thing, they cannot release the movie because of legal questions. That’s really gotta hurt - it seems it cost around EUR 10k, not mentioning the years of work they invested. x.x

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

it isnt as if gw is in negotiations to have a film made themselves, this is a fan film, but gw loves thier ip

Pyro Stick:

I dont see how it would of done any harm to GW. They say all this stuff like they would have to sign over the rights to 40k for it to be shown to an audience. I dont believe that. Whats so complicated about letting a film be shown? GW didnt have to make things so complicated

Malificant:

they are afraid of a) the film upsetting the normal backround, b) a possible bad film or slight in the film which becomes offensive or puts the game into disrepute, c) the precident it would then set for other, lower budget films to be made by wanna be film makers. i think the best course of action would be to write out a contract that the film be co-produced by games workshop and reveiw the material to make sure there would be no problems.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

The way I understand it, it boils down to the incompatibility of German and British patent laws. I can quite frankly understand that GW won’t give away their power over their own intellectual property to anyone. No company can ever do that.

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

well complicated is what gw does, next thing you know they will be starting to stop all fan sites next :slight_smile: lol

has anyone at gw looked at the film to see if it would do any harm to gw??, if any thing it might increase thier sales, defenetly increase the gw fans mood

Ghrask Dragh:

In a lengthy response explaining the ban on Damnatus Mr Jones wrote: "To lose control of Warhammer or Warhammer 40,000 is simply unthinkable.

"So we must be vigilant, and perhaps sometimes seemingly heartless in our decisions to safeguard the IP for the future success of the business and the hobby."
the precident it would then set for other, lower budget films to be made by wanna be film makers
I can quite frankly understand that GW won't give away their power over their own intellectual property to anyone. No company can ever do that.
It would be stupid for any company to allow this sort of freedom with it's IP, Games Workshop have done no wrong here. If anyone is to blame it's whoever let them carry on making the film after Games Workshop said it should not go ahead.
A misunderstanding meant that filming on Damnatus continued after Games Workshop had asked Mr Vu and his colleagues to stop.

I can't wait to see the inevitable Warhammer/Warhammer40k film and I really do feel for the guys who put all their effort into trying to make this happen, but as far as Games Workshop is concerned they have definetly done the right thing here.

Pyro Stick:

I started watching it but i got bored quickly. I should try and watch it again.

cornixt:

The way I read it, GW have no choice. It’s not as if they want to stop the film, it is that they can’t.

10,000 Euros (or moon dollars) is less than the price of a new car so it hasn’t exactly ruined anyone financially.

Willmark:

Maybe if it wasn’t about 40k there would be a chance. Think about it. Its often said that space marines alone are the single largest money maker at GW. I for one would want anything near by best cash cow… YMMV.

Ellimist:

I was under the impression that it got “leaked” to torrent some time ago, although I can’t find a confirmed link to it. The same source said it didn’t live up to the hype, but considering the budget and independent nature it’d be difficult for it to do that.

Pyro Stick:

I was under the impression that it got "leaked" to torrent some time ago, although I can't find a confirmed link to it. The same source said it didn't live up to the hype, but considering the budget and independent nature it'd be difficult for it to do that.

Ellimist
Try Limewire or Morpheus