[Archive] Lord of Nurgle (updated 06/09/08)

al-hashut:

Amazing grim, but why the round base? Is it purely for Showcase? A figure this well realised needs a disease ridden horde to command

Grimstonefire:

Amazing grim, but why the round base? Is it purely for Showcase? A figure this well realised needs a disease ridden horde to command

al-hashut
Yes at the moment.  The long wires forming the skeleton for the legs are just bend underneath, its not glued onto the base.  So eventually I may move him onto a 25mm base.  He would be hard to rank though because of the logs on his back ;)

al-hashut:

ah, very clever. Maybe a few seperately based nurglings will give him the extra room needed. Failing that, there’s the convenienty placed rock method

Hammerhand:

wow grim, you are too cool! I always like to ee a model/diarama based on a cool piece of artwork, but your green is even better than the art IMO. :hat off

Knight Of Awsome:

I found this: http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/snuggletoad/40K%20Images%20for%20Online/untitled4-1.jpg

You now have a comparison shot:cheers

Xander:

Looking good Grim! :hat off

Ghrask Dragh:

This is definetly the best version of the character I’ve seen already :cheers

Hashut’s Blessing:

IMO, Knight of Awesome, GSF’s is far better and more accurate. Grim, words defy me. It’s taken me several minutes to be able to comprehend language again to even say that. Well done and thank you for blessing us with the vision…

Best. Model. Ever.

Want to make a second? :wink: Joking :stuck_out_tongue:

speedygogo:

You did an awesome job. He looks great!

snyggejygge:

You´ve got some great sculpting skills, keep up the good work & remember to show pics of it when painted as well!

Grimstonefire:

Finally it’s complete!  Grim emerges from the sculpting basement, driven mad and drained of energy by father Nurgle.  

Here he is in his ‘finished’ state.  I’ve added a lot of small changes since the last photos.  I took away a couple of things that weren’t working as well, and added the flies.  They seem to work nicely IMO, so I’m glad I forced myself to do them.

I felt the back of the model was suffering from a major lack of detail, hence the chain and wolf tails (a nod to the fluff).  Also an angry nurgling :mad

I think I’ve corrected the arm, I bend it a fair bit and added more greenstuff.  I also bulked out the chain nearest the elbow.

There are still two things that need to be added; firstly the small chaos star emblem thing on the shoulder pad, second a shield on his back.  Both will be painted seperately first.  I plan to add a beastman shield with a metal rim sculpted on.  The back of the model lacks an obvious focal point, and should be improved by this.  

Once he’s painted i’ll blue tack it on and see what you all think with and without.

I may need to do some tiny GS work during painting as I spot the small mistakes, hopefully not much.  The base will need some more work, as there are a couple of spots it doesn’t look right.

This has certainly been the greatest sculpting challenge I’ve given myself so far. I’m very happy with the way its come out.

Here are all the other versions of this art I could find.  Mine is the best!

http://www.rolljordan.com/public/images/member_miniature/member_miniature_limg_226.jpg

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics11/img45cf9d8d3a9b0.jpg

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics7/img40a0ca73d1f7d.jpg

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

by far the best compered to those one(not saying there bad)

only thing i would say try make the horn on the head bigger

but still well done:hat off

slev:

Dude! That’s frackin’ awesome!

I wish I could sculpt half as well.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

I’m in awe… this is truly impressive!

Obsidian:

The flies turned out very good!

To me the fur looks a bit off, and I just can’t shake the feeling that the pose is a bit awkward from the sideview. Like he toppling forwards a bit too much. Maybe if he had a slightly hollower back it would help. And the arms, wouldn’t it look better if they are closer to his body?

So, no critique on the detail which is spot on and very good just the postioning here and there. Hope you get what I mean mate.

All in all, very cool! Wouldn’t mind giving a shot on painting it. Any resin copies in the making?

Ghrask Dragh:

Flies look awesome :hat off for pulling those things off!!

Amazing sculpt Grim’, nothing else I can say really, amazing sculpt!

:cheers

Kera foehunter:

great job grims i like the skulls and the little mini me guy

* kera gives a bottle of mad dog ogre rum to grims!!this will help you or it will kill you.

another great figure grims cheers

Hashut’s Blessing:

Good Lord that’s awesome. I think I just had a minigasm! I agree with the addition of the nurgling and the pelts. Very nice job. It’s brilliant that ya did add the flies in the end! Just make sure not to get paint on their wings :wink: I can;t wait to see it painted. If this had been cast, I know I’d have bought him…

Grimstonefire:

Wings have been undercoated, the bright wings will add some much needed contrast.

Work is going very will so far. I’ve painted about 70% of the model.  I must have painted more in the last week than I have in the last two months!

The base came out well, only the skeleton and nurgling to paint now.  

The axe blade is proving very tricky.  I’ve repainted it several times trying to get it right.

I think I will add a shield on the back, mainly because it will add some much needed detail, and help to bring green onto the back (its mainly browns and greys atm).  Also because the chain I sculpted isn’t perfect.  I will convert a beastmen one, 7 spikes around the edge and something suitable as a symbol.

Tonally the model is very good at the moment, similar over the whole model.  Its not really diseased looking yet, and I still have no idea what colour to paint the flies??

Grimstonefire:

After a frantic painting marathon yesterday, I finally finished model (well, finished enough I couldn’t be bothered to paint any more) at 3:00 this morning.  Overall that means I spent roughly 50 hours painting in the last 8 days!

Roughly 4 hours of blissful sleep later I made my way to Games Day and entered him in Golden Daemon…

It ended up as a finalist, so my first entry into Golden Daemon wasn’t a statue :(.  Still, I did quite well considering a few factors.  I’ll put up the lessons I learnt in another thread.

Once I get time I’ll take some photos of him painted.  I will wait to see the photos of the minis that won in the single mini, as IMHO my entry was better than at least one of them.  But seing as I’m heavily biased I’ll let you all be the judge.