[Archive] Machines of Death

Hobgoblyn:

Okay, we have quite a lot of War Machine rules to work with. I compiled and organized everyone’s together. We have several versions of the same thing in this list, so we’ll have to decide which to go with (or create a hybrid). We also need up or down votes on the various new machines.

Death Rocket (Special)

|����������������M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Death Rocket���� -��4��0 4 7 3 0 2��8
Chaos Dwarf Crew 3��4��3 3 4 1 2 1��8
Unit Size: 1 Death Rocket and 3 Chaos Dwarf Crew

Equipment: The Death Rocket has a 5+ Armour Save. The three Chaos Dwarf Crew wear Heavy Armour.

Death Rocket Rules: The Death Rocket fires in the same way as a Stonethrower as described in the rulebook with the following exceptions. Only roll the Scatter Dice on the D6 roll of a 5+. Otherwise, roll two artillery dice. The Rocket scatters forward this distance.

Upgrades: Daemonic Upgrade from the Engine or Ammunition?

Demonforged?

Earthshaker (Rare)

Revlid: Earthshaker (185 pts per model)
Earthshaker������-��4��0 5 7 5 0 3��9
Unit Size: 1 Earthshaker and 3 Chaos Dwarf Crew

Equipment: The Earthshaker has a 4+ Armour Save, the three Chaos Dwarf Crew have Heavy Armour.

Special Rules: Daemonic Engine, Daemonic Aura & Daemonic Attacks, Terror

Earthshaker Rules: The Earthshaker fires in the same way as a Stonethrower as described in the rulebook with the following exceptions. You may only guess between 12" and 48" for range. In addition to normal damage, once you have worked out where the shell lands, place the large template centred over the point of impact. Any troops under the template are treated as moving through difficult terrain and may not shoot missile weapons next turn. Artillery dice based ranged weapons under the template may only shoot on a 4+. The Earthshaker uses the Cannon Misfire Table, unless it has taken any Daemonic Upgrades from the Engine category.

Upgrades: Earthshaker may be given up to two Daemonic Upgrades from the Ammunition or Engine categories.

ICFTM: Earthshaker Cannon (150pts/model)
Earthshaker�� ���� -��4��0 4 7 3 - -��-
CD Crewmen������ 3��4��3 3 4 1 2 1��8
Equipment: the crew is armed with hand weapons and heavy armor

Special Rules: stone thrower (12" to 48" range only), earthquake, ignore Slave panic, the crew are relentless and resolute

Earthquake: An Earthshaker cannon causes violent quakes in addition to its

Deadly ammunition. When resolving a hit from an Earthshaker, roll 2D6 in addition to normal damage. Any unit within this distance in inches may not march or shoot in its next movement phase. War machines within this distance are only affected on a 4+ on a D6. Earthshakers suffer a -1 on the misfire chart, to a minimum of 1. For instance, a stone thrower would destroy itself on a 1-2.

HellCannon (Rare)

Revlid: Hellcannon (270 pts per model)
Hellcannon������ -��4��0 6 7 6 1 4��9
Unit Size: 1 Hellcannon and 3 Chaos Dwarf Crew

Equipment: The Hellcannon has a 3+ Armour Save, the Chaos Dwarf Crew have Heavy Armour.

Special Rules: Daemonic Engine, Daemonic Aura & Daemonic Attacks, Firing the Hellcannon, Spew Ichor, Terror, Large Target

HellCanon Rules: The Hellcannon fires in the same way as a Stonethrower as described in the rulebook with the following exceptions. Because of its malign intellect, the first roll of the Scatter dice may be re-rolled each turn. Once the point of impact has been resolved, any unit that is not Immune to Psychology and would be hit by the Hellcannon may elect to flee directly away from the Hellcannon before the hit is resolved. Place the small template with the central hole over the point of impact. Anything under the template takes an automatic S10 hit, suffering D6 wounds (D6+2 against buildings and castle sections). Determine partial hits by rolling a dice, on a 4+ the model is affected. Then place the large template with the central hole over the same point. Any unit (friend or foe) with a model even partially under the large template must immediately pass a Leadership test or flee directly away from the Hellcannon. This does not affect troops which are Immune to Psychology.

Upgrades: Hellcannon may be given up to three Daemonic Upgrades from the Engine category.

Kollosus

Revlid: Kollosus (Rare) (210 pts)
|���������� M WS BS S T W I����A����Ld
Kolossus����6��4��0 6 5 6 0 Special��9
Unit Size: 1 Kolossus

Equipment: Iron Claws, 3+ Armour Save

Special Rules: Terror, Large Target, Daemonic Aura and Daemonic Attacks, Bound Rage, Unbreakable

Kollosus Rules: Roll an Artillery Dice for each Kolossus in combat. This is the number of attacks the model makes this round. On a Misfire consult the Daemonic Engine Misfire Table. Every wound caused by the Kolossus is multiplied into two wounds.

Upgrades: Any Kolossus may be given up to two Daemonic Upgrades from the Automoton or Engine categories.

New

Revlid: Doom Blaster (Special) (95 pts)
Doomblaster������-��4��0 4 7 3 0 2��8
Unit Size: 1 Doomblaster and 3 Chaos Dwarf Crew

Unit Strength: 3+1 per Chaos Dwarf Crew

Equipment: The Doomblaster has a 5+ Armour Save. The three Chaos Dwarf Crew wear Heavy Armour.

Doomblaster Rules: Fire as a Bolt Thrower from the Warhammer Rulebook with the following exceptions. 24" Range. Count no To Hit modifiers except for cover. The Doomblaster Misfires on the roll of a 1 To Hit. If you hit successfully, rather than rolling to wound, roll a D6, add 2 and subtract the target unit’s Toughness (if targeting war machines with varied crews, use the highest Toughness value available). If the target is at Long Range, subtract 1 from the roll. The result is the number of wounds that the target unit takes (no armor saves are allowed). If shooting at war machines or monsters with riders, randomize the wounds like normal shooting hits, discarding wounds scored against the war machine itself.

Upgrades: Any Doom Blaster may be given one Daemonic Upgrade from the Engine category.

Revlid: Darklands Chariot (Special) (95 pts)
Chariot����������7��-��- 5 5 4 - -��-
Tenderizer������ 7��3��- 5 5 4 0 3��-
Chaos Dwarf Crew -��4��3 3 - - 2 1��8
Unit Size: 2 Chaos Dwarf Crew, 1 Chariot

Equipment: The two Chaos Dwarf Crew have Spears, the Chariot has a 3+ Armour Save

Upgrades: Extra Crewman (+9 pts), Upgraded to Tenderizers (+30 pts).

Special Rules: Chariot, Scythed Wheels, Tenderizer

Tenderizer - Darklands Chariots and Tenderizers are only automatically destroyed by wounds of S8 or above. Tenderizers have the Bound Rage and the Daemonic Aura & Daemonic Attacks special rules.

ICFTM: Brimstone Thrower (Special) (85pts/model)
|���������������� M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Brimstone Thrower -��4��0 4 7 3 0 -��-
CD Crewmen��������3�� 4��3 3 4 1 2 1��8
Equipment: the crew is armed with hand weapons and heavy armor

Special Rules: brimstone thrower, flaming

Brimstone Thrower Rules: This war machine fires a grenade-like projectile that explodes where it lands, causing a shower of superheated metal shards over a wide area. Treat the Brimstone Thrower as a stone thrower with the following exceptions: use the large 5" template instead of the small 3" one, it only does multiple wounds to the target under the central hole, and hits are resolved at S3, not S4.

Upgrades: May be Demonforged for +20pts

Hobgoblyn:

This is the biggest and most involved post, I am quite surprised no one has chimed in on this one yet…

StyrofoamKing:

Hmm… (assuming that the Death Rocket rules are your changed ones, and not the standard rules…)

Death Rocket: hits on a 5+. If it does scatter, roll the artillery dice TWICE.

Reasoning: If it scatters only 1/3rd of the time, then it misfires a third as much too. Having the player roll the artillery dice two times instead of multiplying it by 2 makes up for that.

itcamefromthedeep:

—I made an edit to how the Death rocket works in the list I posted, where the distance on the artillery die was doubled instead of doing the “bounce and relaunch” effect. It simplifies the effect a bit, but I’m wondering if it takes too much away from the character of the war machine.

—Revlid and I have discussed the Doom Blaster a bit in the thread about his list. I really believe that there should be a way for it to miss. What I proposed is that it fire like mortar, but instead of doing normal damage every unit at least partially covered by the template suffers the damage pretty much as described. I think it would be very cool to have a war machine that does damage based on Leadership, so I would actually lik to see the Doomblaster do damage much like a banshee scream, so perhaps 2D6+4, minus the Leadership of the target.

itcamefromthedeep:

How about this:

DEMON ENGINES

Any War Machine with Chaos Dwarf crew may become Demon Engines for +30pts per War Machine. Demon Engines and their handlers are treated as “monsters with handlers” as on page xxx of the Warhammer Rule Book. Demon Engines have a Movement of 3, Strength 3, 1 Attack and Weapon Skill 2, but these characteristics usually end up larger. Note that the Demon Engine’s Strength does not affect the Strength of the hits of the ranged attacks of the model. Demon Engines gain a 5+ Ward save againsty non-magical attacks. Demon Engines cause Fear. A Demon Engine’s Attacks and hits from its weapon are considered magical. Demon Engines use the following misfire chart: (blah blah blah I’ll deal with it later). Demon Engines are unbreakable, but a Demon Engine that loses combat loses 1 Wound for each poinnt it loses combat by as the enemies surround it and dismantle it or otherwise destroy its moving parts. Crew members take break tests as normal. The Demon Engine is Immune to Psychology, but the crew members are not and they will abandon the Demon Engine if they are forced to flee.

A Demon Engine that loses its crew Rampages. Rampaging Demon Engines move D6 toward the nearest unit (friend or foe) during the Chaos Dwarf player’s cumpulsory move phase. If it moves into contact with a unit it counts as charging and will fight until either it is destroyed or the other side breaks.

Massive War Engine 45pts

A Demon Engine with this upgrade becomes a Large Target and has a unit Strength of 5. The Demon Engine causes Terror. If the Demon Engine uses a small round template to resolve its hits, use the large 5" template instead. A Demon Engine with this upgrade gets +1WS, +1 Strength and +1 Wound.

Spew Ichor 35pts

A Demon Engine with this upgrade gets a breat weapon with a Strength of 6. A Demon Engine with this upgrade gets +1 WS and +1 Attack.

Fiendish Intelligence 45pts

The player controlling the Demon Engine may reroll the scatter die for the Demon Engine’s hits of the player so desires. A Demon Engine with this upgrade gets +1 Attack and +1 Strength.

Hellish Ammunition 30pts

Any unit that suffers any wounds from the Demon Engine’s weapon must take a Panic test at the end of the Shooting phase as if it had lost 25% of its Unit Strength. A Demon Engine with this upgrade gets +1 Strength, +1 Wound and +1 Attack.

Hobgoblyn:

This might be a good way to handle turning normal War Machines into big monsters. If I can stat them as normal WarMachines it is easier to compare what they do to other similar War Machines and give them correct costs.

And, since all the War Machines will end up with the same melee stats anyway, they can all be given the upgrades you have put here for the same costs. The only one that might not work out well like this is the Kollosus, but perhaps it can just have a regular stat line with no available upgrades. That would probably work better.

I have to be honest that I don’t much like the idea of the Chariot. But, if everyone else likes it then we may as well keep it.

But, we have the Doom Rocket, Earthshaker, Hell Cannon, Doom Blaster and Brimstone Thrower as upgradedable giant War Machines. Do we really need all of these? Even if I were to move the Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower out of the Chaos Dwarf army list to the Hobgoblin army list to make room for more Chaos Dwarf War Machines, doesn’t 5 different machines seem a bit high?