[Archive] Magic in Close Combat Question

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Ok…quick question since I haven’t found anything in the rules about this :

Let’s say your wizard is in close combat with an enemy, can he still cast magic in the magic phase, or is he suppose to be so busy in Close Combat that he can’t say the words?

This little problem came up in the last game I played and I didn’t find any ruleing saying otherwise (In the course of the battle).

An 8th edition page reference would be appreciated too!

nitroglysarine:

hope you rolled a D6 to decide who was right.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

We did, as an impromptu. I lost.

GRNDL:

I didn’t think he could, unless he’s like a Slann or something and not in the front row of the unit that’s in close combat.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

It was hero VS Hero, one being my sorcerer and the other being a High Elf Knight on horseback.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Well, in previous editions, it has specified that they can’t. However, current ruling doesn’t say that that’s the case, so I guess that as long as everything is legal (magic missiles can’t be cast into combat, so I doubt you can cast tgem whilst in combat, lol), that you can do so (until FAQed).

Tarrakk Blackhand:

At HB - That would be great! Esp a MM while in base to base contact!

Where’s Thommy H when you need him! :smiley:

Thommy H:

In general, you can cast spells in combat. Some spells in fact require you to be in combat or in base contact with an enemy model.

slev:

I agree with the interpretation that, baring rules for specific spells and spell types, and LOS not withstanding, combat casting is viable in 8th.

dedwrekka:

Well, in previous editions, it has specified that they can't. However, current ruling doesn't say that that's the case, so I guess that as long as everything is legal (magic missiles can't be cast into combat, so I doubt you can cast tgem whilst in combat, lol), that you can do so (until FAQed).

Hashut's Blessing
Page 31 has a couple answers to this:
1) Spells cannot be cast on units in close combat unless otherwise stated to be able to.
2) Magic Missile specifically cannot be cast at all when the wizard is in close combat
3) Hex and Augment Spells can be cast on units in close combat
4) Spells within the Warhammer Army Books follow the rules and restrictions stated in their army book description not the casting rules in the 8th edition rulebook

You can still cast spells with a wizard in close combat provided that the target is within his frontal arc as long as the spell doesn't specifically require LOS, is not a Magic Missile as described in the 8th ed rulebook, and is not cast on a unit in close combat (unless the spell says that you can cast it on a unit in CC).

Hashut’s Blessing:

dedwrekka: Well, you just went and cited what I paraphrased ^^ Still, better to have the actual words than the ramblings of someone having read them, lol :smiley:

Bolg:

There a few different types of spelles, Direct at the back of the new rulebook is a chart of what kind of spell you can cast when. I now for sure Hex and Augment can be cast from and in combat. and I thought Direct damage could be cast from but not in combat.

But in all a lot more spells can be cast in and from combat than 7th ed.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Thanx for the help guys! I’ll try and remeber P.31.