[Archive] Magic Item Tactica?

Method:

"Dark Mace of Death- I run this on a lammasu sorcerer, but I think I may be the only one to do so. THis lets me mug a small unit of heavy cavalry. It is good but must be used well."

can chaos dwarf sorcerers take magic weapons?

or can wizards not take magic armors?

Thanks

Ancient History:

Wizards are generally restricted from taken armour, or magic armour, unless specifically allowed to.

Maul:

Has anyone used a black gem to capture a large single character demon or vampire and then have the static combat resolution from the unit the character is in have them crumble?

Can you feel the love… Bloodthirster charges unit of 25 dwarves with full command and war banner. Poof he can’t attack via the gem and looses combat by 6.

Ubertechie:

Maul

Its a very situational item - but certainly worthwhile against any lordon a monstrous mount or big gribbly like a BloodThirster especially as they cannot refuse the challenge. The trick is clearly getting them to charge the unit that contains the model carrying it in the first place. Plus if they manage to survive the 1st turn you are still locked in the challenge and are going to get creamed.

Alan the evil:

I use black gem with sorcerer lord in a unit with 25 warriors with full command and war banner, to avoid his fisrt HtH combat or for discourage the enemy to charge my unit with a big monster.

cornixt:

The funniest thing is the next time you play the guy. He’ll be trying to second guess where the Gem is and mess up his battleplan.

qwe50:

The short answar is yes - i have tryed it a few times (last time a DE dragon who ran) But it’s also good to “take out” a character in units e.g a charging unit Realms won’t win if you use the gem on the bret lord.

Beastybeastbeats:

dope thread we should sticky it! hint, hint :wink:

Slacker:

Can you feel the love... Bloodthirster charges unit of 25 dwarves with full command and war banner. Poof he can't attack via the gem and looses combat by 6.

Maul
See, I think you could be a bit deceptive and put it on a level 4. If you want to be extra sneaky, deploy the level 4 (with the gem) and a fighty hero in a single unit. Thirster charges, the assumption is you'll accept the challenge with the fighty hero, then, bam, you bait and trap.

I mean, you could do it with a unit champion, but I think the Hero bait works better. Flipside is with, say, a Bull Centaur hero, you could then charge out of the unit the next turn.

You're just screwed if he rolls snake-eyes for his instability test.

Servius:

Highly Deceptive… Personally if they have a thirster… and your playing Dwarfs… I doubt you will be in a position to challenge… Mainly due to him being in your flank or rear… Breaking your rank and destroying your passive resolution.

Groznit Goregut:

I doubt you will be in a position to challenge.... Mainly due to him being in your flank or rear

Servius
I don't understand this. You can always issue a challenge, even if you are flanked.

Da Crusha:

I don't understand this.  You can always issue a challenge, even if you are flanked.

Groznit Goregut
you character has to in base to base contact with an enemy to accept or issue a challenge.

I noticed a not so obvious (to me) strategy with the black gem of gnar, tell me if you think its not legal.

you can nullify 2 enemy models attacks by first getting into a challenge with A and then using the gem on another enemy model B in base contact. This works because once the challenge has been issued and accepted it is the bearer's choice who will be affected by the gem, and since your already in a challenge with A then A must attack you, but since you've been gemed he can't attack you and he can't attack anyone in base contact with him because he is stuck in the challenge. and B cannot attack either because he has been gemed.

it's a sneaky strategy and Im sure people will hate it.... again tell me if you think it is illegal.

Ubertechie:

It’s entirely legal used by tomb kings with destroyer of eternities all they time whereby they autohit they model they are challenging plus any other models automatically twice at strength seven

grupax:

It's entirely legal used by tomb kings with destroyer of eternities all they time whereby they autohit they model they are challenging plus any other models automatically twice at strength seven

Ubertechie
actually destroyer of eternities says in it's discription that in a challenge only the opponent in the challenge counts as in base contact for the effect.

Ubertechie:

which has been faq’d as all models in base contact count as being in contact

SteveM:

I used the gem plus +6 static combat resolution to make my friend’s HE dragon break and run away, but it never occurred to me that I could use the gem to neutralize two characters. Thanks for the tip.

Da Crusha:

I used the gem plus +6 static combat resolution to make my friend's HE dragon break and run away, but it never occurred to me that I could use the gem to neutralize two characters.  Thanks for the tip.

SteveM
ya I guess that would make it particularly effective against a deathstar!!