[Archive] Magma cannon

KramDratta:

I have started to use the Magma cannon & am loving it. However I’m finding it difficult to ‘master’ aiming & shooting with it.

When aiming at a unit that is 5+ ranks deep, I try to aim 6/7" away from the front so that I try to maximize the number of models that end up under the template.

I also think that this weapon is made to shoot at Ogres & their big Deathstar blocks.

What are your experiences with this unit?

Wifstrand:

My experience is, that you literally can’t go wrong with it. Well, don’t shoot T7+, T6 shouldn’t be on the top of your priority list, but that’s about it. The only thing the player needs to get a grip on is aiming. As in declaring how many inches away he wants the initial ‘spot’ (before the bounce) to be from the front of the unit. I love it.

I also love Deathshrikers.

zhatan87:

As in declaring how many inches away he wants the initial 'spot' (before the bounce) to be from the front of the unit.
To avoid mistakes, I put the flame template from the front of the unit, and then roll the dice...
Therefore, you know where putting the initial spot in order to optimize the hits...
Deep unit : template just in front of the unit, or the top on the front rank...
Thin unit : the template 1-2 inches from the front.

KramDratta:

zhatan87
So that I'm sure I understand correctly, you're referring to the wide end of the flame template here right? Which makes the total distance 8 inches for the deep unit & 10 inches for a thin one from the point you aim at.

zhatan87:

you're referring to the wide end of the flame template here right?
Yes. The wide end of the flame template.
To me, the initial spot is the thin start of the flame template.
So, the wide end of the flame template in contact with the front rank with deep units (more than 5 ranks), and 1-2 inches from the front rank for others.
Therefore, if you roll a 2 : you catch the first rank (and sometimes the 2nd).
If you roll 4-8 : many of the ranks.
If you roll 10 : the start of the template catches the first rank of the unit, and some minis of the others.
I find it's one of the best use of it (but maybe I'm wrong?)

KramDratta:

I’ll try it your way, as I find it very hard to hit, either overshooting or falling short. Have 3 games lined up (all with dual magma cannons :stuck_out_tongue: ) so I should get a good idea if its better in paractice (it sounds better in theory)

Groznit Goregut:

Where in your battle line do you place the magma cannon? How do you put it where it will be relevant, but not vulnerable? I am new to CD’s and this type of war machine.

Also, it seems that this war machine is beat for a total defensive build. Is that how you guys use it?

KramDratta:

I place warmachines behind my infernal guard block. The Magma cannon & the Deathshrieker are deployed slightly more than 6" apart, with the Daemonsmith smack in the middle for the re-rolls. Since LOS is measured from the war machine, I have no problem firing over the Infernal Guard :slight_smile:

rabotak:

i mostly play at 3500 points, the magma cannon + one smith goes between two of my three ig-blocks, while two (twin-linked :wink: ) shriekers +smith sit in in the back corner.

Bassman:

As in declaring how many inches away he wants the initial 'spot' (before the bounce) to be from the front of the unit.
To avoid mistakes, I put the flame template from the front of the unit, and then roll the dice...
Therefore, you know where putting the initial spot in order to optimize the hits...

zhatan87
This is the rule I follow as well, but did you tried diagonal? :D
It' s a lot of fun. Sometimes happens the magma cannon is placed to the side of the board and you can aim it to get two or even three units at the same time! :hat off
I love when it happens......