[Archive] Mantic Abyssal Dwarfs

brotsorrow:

Am i the only one who is starting to really like these models? I like the look of them, than i see the price and how cheap a unit of 10 cavalry is, AND it comes with carrying foam… Could GW/FW learn something from this?

http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Kings-of-War/Abyssal-Dwarfs/Product/Abyssal-Dwarf-Halfbreeds-10-Figures.html

Yes i know these models do not have the long curly beards, but sharp none the less… Take a moment and check out their version of immortal guard.

Sherlocko:

My biggest concern with all of Mantics Abyssals dwarfs is (at least by the pictures) the armor seems to have really soft edges instead of sharp ones. And that really takes away from the overall look.

Satan:

A bit intrigued by them, but they look difficult to match up w the FW CDs… I don’t know, they could work but I can’t see any weapon options for the models, which is a big drawback.

cornixt:

The style of the models is a bit off for my tastes. Some people like them, but they haven’t been as well received as other non-GW evil dwarf models despite being super cheap. It’s weirdly typical that as soon as a decent starting model for a BC model comes along, FW release their own (and in a different scale).

I poked around and found this guy who I haven’t seen before:

http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Kings-of-War/Abyssal-Dwarfs/Lords-and-Heroes/Product/Abyssal-Half-Breed-Lord-Blister.html

Apart from the face, it looks pretty good, especially in comparison to the others.

Mad Dave:

I’ve got the half breed lord from them. I loved the Pic of him on the website when i got him how ever i was abit disappoint. The weapon he came with Just looked wrong to me so chopped that and gave him a Big Choppa. I agree his beard does look abit strange but as i’m using the half breed figure just as a BC Special Char it not so bad to be honest. Another thing that bugged me was the Huge chunk on metal that was stuck to the feet im guessing its just their style and they think its easier to base using that bit of metal. It just did not look right to me so after half an hour with a saw i finally got the model to start looking to how i wanted it :slight_smile: but for the price of the figure you cant go wrong . At the mo the miniature is in the Que to be painted.

I’m not to sure on the war-machine id need to have 1 of each in my hands to look closely.

RichardC1967:

Am i the only one who is starting to really like these models? I like the look of them, than i see the price and how cheap a unit of 10 cavalry is, AND it comes with carrying foam..... Could GW/FW learn something from this?

http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Kings-of-War/Abyssal-Dwarfs/Product/Abyssal-Dwarf-Halfbreeds-10-Figures.html

Yes i know these models do not have the long curly beards, but sharp none the less.... Take a moment and check out their version of immortal guard.

brotsorrow
I just pre-ordered some of these ...they won't be released until next week tho' so I'll post a review then, They are supposedly plastic, so hopefully they'll be easy to convert to a decent looking BC

brotsorrow:

@ Mad Dave & RichardC: Thanks i cannot wait to see the pics of these models, especially compared to GW/FW models

My biggest concern with all of Mantics Abyssals dwarfs is (at least by the pictures) the armor seems to have really soft edges instead of sharp ones. And that really takes away from the overall look.

Sherlocko
hmmmm i never thought of that, but for the price of them compared to FW models, i think a lot of people can live with the softer edges
A bit intrigued by them, but they look difficult to match up w the FW CDs… I don’t know, they could work but I can’t see any weapon options for the models, which is a big drawback.

Satan
I am waiting to see some pics with both types of models side by side. I think i may get a unit for a special infantry unit
The style of the models is a bit off for my tastes. Some people like them, but they haven’t been as well received as other non-GW evil dwarf models despite being super cheap. It’s weirdly typical that as soon as a decent starting model for a BC model comes along, FW release their own (and in a different scale).

I poked around and found this guy who I haven’t seen before:

http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Kings-of-War/Abyssal-Dwarfs/Lords-and-Heroes/Product/Abyssal-Half-Breed-Lord-Blister.html

Apart from the face, it looks pretty good, especially in comparison to the others.

cornixt
Its funny you mention the release of BCs from FW with the expected release form Mantic, as i was thinking the same thing once i realized i would be able to use the mantic ones side by side

fairoaks024:

I’m waiting for a full army of their abyssal dwarves to arrive, for the price difference, i can live with them not being FW sculpting

regards

jim