[Archive] Mantic Games Presents - Golden Hat XV(1)

Xander:

[size=xx-large]Evil At Heart[/size]

Welcome one-and-all, to the 15th Golden Hat modeling and painting competition!

We are pleased to announce that this Golden Hat has been sponsored by Mantic Games! They have offered up prizes for contestants placing 3rd, 2nd and 1st!

Yes, absolutely we’d love to do some giveaways with you guys. We could do a Black Souls Regiment (20 Warriors) worth £20 for 3rd prize, Abyssal Dwarf Half-Breed cavalry worth £35 for 2nd and an Abyssal Dwarf Army Set worth £50 for 1st prize? How does that sound to you?

Mantic Games
That sounds awesome to me!

In addition, I want to have some random-draw giveaways so that any participant will have a chance to win a prize. If you want to contribute a prize, you must be willing to pay for the shipping to send it to a fellow member. I am donating my Big Hat Death rocket. :slight_smile:

Random Prize Draw Items (donated by members):
- Death Rocket with Crewman (Xander)
- Dronzak Bannerfist [MM90 Standard Bearer] (clam)

Subject Matter
As we all know, the look-and-feel of the evil-hearted Dwarfs have a long and storied history that includes many different styles. Be it Helms, Hats or Masks (or some combination of the three), we all have our favourite variety. With many miniatures companies throwing their hat in ring, the evil-hearted Dwarfs are finally having their day in the sun!

So, what faction do you represent?

The challenge for Golden Hat #15 is to create a single Evil Dwarf Infantryman on a 20mm base that represents your idea of the perfect Evil Dwarf.

The model should be a rank and file trooper. Any equipment is allowed: hand-weapon and sheild, great weapon, any variety of firearm. Just make sure the model is not a hero, champion, musician or standard bearer. You can convert or model your own figure, or use any existing model from any applicable miniatures range. Just make sure it is fully painted (though WIP shots of any conversion or modeling work are welcome).

Basing
20mm - A small amount of scenic basing is allowed, but bare in mind the model should represent a run-of-the-mill trooper of whatever unit type he (or she?) happens to be.

Diorama style bases are not allowed.

The full rules for basing can be found here.

Please read the full rules that apply to the Golden Hat competition before submitting your entry.

When is the deadline?
Once again same basic premise as previous Golden Hats; send all entries to the Golden Hat account no later 11:59 PM June 30th, 2011 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone). Entries will not be accepted after that date and time regardless of how cool your submission is. (You have around 4 weeks to complete your entry)

If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact one of the Staff. In order to avoid problems, I “highly advise” that entrants do not wait until the very last minute to submit their entries…

How to Enter
Upload up to 4 photos of your entries to the internet. Next, send a PM to Golden Hat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the links where the pictures can be found. (Note: This is the same as previous Golden Hats).

If you win:
- Rightly take your place in the Golden Hat Hall of Fame, where your glory will be remembered for years to come.
- Receive the Golden Hat medal for your online persona
- Everyone who enters gets a number of slaves equal to the number of entries. If 50 people enter we award 50 slaves to each person who entered.
- If you place in the top 3, you’ll win a prize, courtesy of Mantic Games

= As with previous Golden Hats; if there are more then 10 entrants the silver and bronze Golden Hat Medals will be awarded as well.

Entries will count towards a veteran medal.

As usual once all entries are received a thread will be created for voting. And as always if there are any questions please PM me, another Staff member or post them here. Ideally pm one of the staff as it’s less likely to be missed.

Summary:
Subject Matter: Create an evil dwarf infantryman on a 20mm base.
Due Date: 11:59 PM June 30th, 2011 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)

Also, I am revealing now that we will be running the 16th Golden Hat from July-August and it will likely have a Warhammer Forge theme (so don’t worry!). More on this later!

So that’s it, get cracking! What does the perfect Evil Dwarf warrior look like? :cheers

Thommy H:

I have a funny feeling this one is going to get a lot of entries…

zobo1942:

Corporate sponsors? Well done!

gIL^:

Big love to Mantic i would buy more minis but i already 100’s on mantic stuff :smiley:

Dino:

I’m so in. Need to get some mantic minis first.

Admiral:

Mantic just arose one or two steps in my eyes. Those Halfbreed Cavalry seem really interesting, they look a bit better than their ordinary infantry, and Bull Centaurs stand-ins are certainly welcome. If I’m able to find my digital camera (lost at home…) or borrow one, I’ll enter. Had planned to do so anyway, if the theme wasn’t too hard to meet. With a sponsor, it got even better.

Good theme, by the way! I had hoped for a different entry, which would allow me to enter a Chaos Dwarf woman with an infant that I’m currently sculpting, but you cannot have everything served at your table.

:wink:

clam:

I’ll be more than happy to donate a Four A Miniature Dronzak Bannerfist - or shall we call him the MM90 Standard Bearer :smiley:

And yes, I predict lots of entries - and lots of new members - should be cool watching.

Sadly we’ll all be painting the same miniature - the skull face MM90 - best one ever made :smiley:

fonejaker:

I have two ideas that I think might work

Shame it has to be a normal infantry man, i got a ace captain that would work wonders as my representations of a chaos dwarft >_<

Zanko:

I’m definitely in! :smiley:

Momentary I have no idea what mini I will paint but I’m sure I will find an appropriate one! :wink:

At the weekend I will have a look for a model which I could donate!

:hashut

Kered:

It’s too soon for me to cast my infantry I’v already made so I’ll just have to sculpt a new one from scratch.

I look forward to seeing the range of the different entries.

Thorne:

Oh god damn ! ! ! ! ! ! mental news Im all over this like jam on toast :smiley: Gives me a chance to do something fun. Simply put I have some mental ideas what I can do with sculpting something new. Not to mention sponsorship for this from Mantic games too. Huge shock, I always thought highly of their ethos and design. Perhaps a sign of things to come I hope.

Xander:

I think the best part about this is that it will be a celebration of the diversity!  We’ll get to see so many styles and looks.  I can’t wait to see how this turns out.  And the 4 week turn around time means it will be hard to procrastinate and forget about the contest.  

Everyone should get started now! :wink:

EDIT: A small bit of clarification.  If you want to use a model that is meant to be a Hero/Champion/Captain as a starting point for a conversion, you can, provided the final model ends up looking like a regular trooper.

Bear in mind that if your model still looks too hero-like, the vox populi may punish you when it comes time to vote on the winners. :wink:

Grimstonefire:

I’ll try and give this a go I think.

Can’t argue with free stuff involved.

cornixt:

There are so many evil dwarf models out now, there’s not even a need to convert.

Nazhur:

A very intersting competition as it´s a basic dwarf warrior that hsall be painted. Very good. The prizes are just toping on the icecream :slight_smile:

Golder Goldeater:

I have a good, self sculpted model for this competition!

Hopefully I’ll place 2nd! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Oh boy… prizes galore! Awesome! Now where are those sneaky workshop slaves of mine hiding…

Da Crusha:

wow! what a surprise!

Thommy H:

I’ve knocked Mantic in the past for various things (because, as everyone knows, I’m an equal-opportunities hater, except when it comes to Scibor) but this is exactly the kind of marketing that a small, up-and-coming company needs to be doing. I appreciate even paying lip service to the idea of giving people good value (and, conversely, reserve a special contempt for those who don’t even bother pandering to their customers coughNestlecough) so to do something which really is just pretty generous goes a long way towards making me think they’ve got a good thing going here.

I still don’t think the Abyssal Dwarfs are that great, but I’ll take anything that’s free.

vulcanologist:

Great competition can’t wait … Also means I can now post my pics of my iron demon that I was holding back in case it was forgeworld themed!