[Archive] Marios wee little Chaos Dwarfs 05-12-2010

Mario:

Thanks a lot for the tips i will try that approach.

I have tried to capture it in this photos:

You can see how the blood red goes streaky on this guys trousers. and a bit on the cape for my riders:

So far i have used this approach:
black primed,
paint a coat of clathan brown, over that a paint of scab red or gore red.
Then i tried to highlight with blood red and thats where the trouble starts.
It looks good enough while i paint but after i am done its really streaky in the results.

You are right i guess. i must do more coats a lot layers should do the trick. i will try with the next one to be more patient.

But i also noticed when i painted one flag red that the thinned down blood red paint dries a bit odd sometimes, its a weird colour.

These few cloaks were my first try at layering and i was way to impatient really.

Servius:

Looks good so far… it just needs more layers… also make sure to be cutting the paints with a bit of water to allow it to dry more smoothly

Snotling:

Rot! :sick

hehe, wordplay :). Well, time to be serious again, we are not here to make fun…

Red is one of my favourite colours to paint with, for it looks pretty good. This is good base for collectin Chaos Dwarfs :). Here are some "reds " I use:

1.- start with scab red as basecoat.

- mix up scab red with blood red to crate a tone between them. I never use red gore (I don’t have it anymore…) for it is not much brighter than scab red and too dark to highlight it with blood red.

-Blood red

-small highlights with blazing orange

-a layer of highly thinned chestnut ink. at this time I haven’t try the new wash equipollent (sepia…something) so I don’t know if this works as well.

This is a good, fiery red and easy to paint. works good most time. The smaller your highlights are, the darker the red turns out. If you want a really dark red, wash the basecoat with black and start “highlighting” with scab red again. alternatively use Sanguine Red, a P3 colour which is really dark, almost purple (like the very old Carmesin Red from GW). for darker reds there is no need for the highlight with blazing orange.

2. -Baecoat of Sanguine red or black washed scab red

-scab red

-scab red/blood red mix

-add white to the mix, but don’t use to much, otherwise it turns out pink :smiley: do this one or two times with a little more white

3. -scorched brown basecoat

-dark flesh. you can also start with dark felsh and give it a scorched brown wash

-mix up dark flesh with blood red

-pure blood red

-sometimes a last highlight of blazing orange works good for this

-chestnut ink is in my opninion a great finishing layer for reds

Well, this is a red-brown, probably not what you are looking for to paint your dwarfs with, but when I start to talk abouts differnt shades of red… ^^

sometimes you need to paint two layers of one colour especially for the scab red basecoat on larger surfaces. the cape for the rider looks nice. red is a beautiful colour for warriors :mad

Mario:

Thanks a lot Snotling, i will try those ideas out. :slight_smile:

Yeah for the CD’s i will generally use a bit more muted colors i think. the one i did turned out pretty good. The capes were really time consuming, but also worked good, i got the inspiration from someone who did an empire general. Its basicly blood red mixed with black, you add gradually more and more blood red until you come to the final highlight with blood red.

The washes seem a really good idea to bring stuff better together, i will have to experiment with that.

Mario:

Short update; I got the models from my mate, still have to strip/prime them and paint them they are:

4th to 7th ed.

8x Axeman1 plastic

blunderbuss4

blunderbuss6

blunderbuss7

and the deathrocket guys and wheels

I dont like how the plastic ones look, prolly will convert them a bit to get a unit with more different look.

I also got several old plastic dwarfs clones thatll get a do over :slight_smile:

Mario:

So i have started with the Blunderbuss units i got from a friend to get a bit change from my empire man.

Heres my first effort and start to paint one:

[attachment=2075]

The Stormchild:

Impressive sculpting!

Mario:

I should mention the last pictured one is a normal GW one that i just painted. Probably this thread should be moved to the army forum? I am not sure, i certainly will convert a lot of the things i do for my CD’s but its more a general Army blog in the end.