[Archive] MDF & wood grain effects

Abecedar:

Here some WiP shots of my first effort at making a woodgrain effect on the MDF "arches"

Should I try to make the “grain” tighter?

At present the lines are 2 to 3 mm apart roughly

Fuggit Khan:

It looks wonderful, I think the ‘spacing’ of the wood grain is perfect for the scale of the model. Anything closer would be lost in the effect while looking at it from a tabletop perspective…if that makes sense?

I’m always amazed at your wood crafting abilities :slight_smile:

Zanko:

Imo it looks great!

I’m really curious to see the hall finished!

:hashut

Abecedar:

Thanks fellas.

I think trying to get a tighter grain would be too hard and as you say would blur out at normal distances.

It is going to take a while as sitting there scratching the lines in with a awl is fiddly.

So far no wounds but knowing me it won’t be long before blood is shed on the building.

cornixt:

Longer lines would work better than short ones. You can also paint some woodgrain on with slightly different shades of brown.

Bloodbeard:

Spacing is fine, and the colour is great. I suggest you make as long lines as you possibly can. Perhaps make a “knast” - where a branch has broken of. Don’t know the english word.

BABIS:

how have you done the wood grains? dremel?

Abecedar:

I’ve scratched them in slowly with a hooked scribe tool. Give it a light sand, not too deep at first.

Then repeat in the same grooves until the scratches are deep enough.

A dremel would run away too quickly and be harder to keep on track.

Abecedar:

And the brown stain is a single coat of “burnt sienna” concentrated artists ink.

Dînadan:

Spacing is fine, and the colour is great. I suggest you make as long lines as you possibly can. Perhaps make a "knast" - where a branch has broken of. Don't know the english word.

Bloodbeard
Knot

I agree with Bloodbeard on making the lines longer (ie no breaks in the lines).

tjub:

Looking good!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Abecedar:

.......... Perhaps make a "knast" - where a branch has broken of. Don't know the english word.

Bloodbeard
My wife suggested the same