[Archive] Microphone Help

Hashut’s Blessing:

Howdy y’all! Just wondered if someone could point me to a decent microphone that isn’t too expensive, please. Mine is fine and dandy, but I need some extensive clarity so that I can record some lines for an audiobook and apparently that’s a little background static.

gIL^:

Before i can recommend something your going to have to tell me what is too expensive, £50?

Nicodemus:

A better option may be to stick with the mic you have and find some free audio editing software. I used to use Goldwave ages ago and I think there’s still a free versions available. It’ll save mp3 files and in the app there’s an option to reduce background noise. You just have to specify a threshold dB level and it’ll reduce the anything below that… it’s a simple solution that makes the difference of even cheap audio recordings like night and day :wink:

Blue in VT:

For recording at home (mostly guitar music) I use a Blue SnowBall USB mic…easy to set up and use with great sound quality.

SNOWBALL LINK

Audacity is another great piece of free audio editing software.

Cheers,

Blue

G.2:

I have seen a great review from this guy before, and I respect what he says, here is a review, which you might find interesting.

Warning: This is a review about podcasting microphones.

Link

gIL^:

For recording at home (mostly guitar music) I use a Blue SnowBall USB mic...easy to set up and use with great sound quality.

SNOWBALL LINK

Audacity is another great piece of free audio editing software.

Cheers,

Blue

Blue in VT
This ^^ or go for the cheaper snowflake it's really small and the quality is crystal clear.

I use the more expensive Blue Yeti as i do radio.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I’ve tried the dB thing before, but don’t know what kind of level to set it at as it always clips off the very end of my words and it sounds rather strange. Suggestions on a dB negation level, please?