[Archive] Midwest Rampage (Illinnois, USA)

Swissdictator:

First I want to thank Jim for a WONDERFUL event as always. Well done! Always a hoot and a half.

I took the Chaos Dwarfs to this, and I was very happy I did. They were FUN for me.

Game 1 vs Johny Hastings

I called the Grudge, and he answered. He brought his Tzeentch beasts. Tough game for me vs his 11 PD, but I put up the best fight I could. When his one heard ambushed behind my Blunderbuss and got to magically charge in they got squished. Flat out outmaneuvered. I got tabled. No regrets though, Hastings was a fun guy to play against, and I hadn’t faced him since North Star.

Loss for the Chaos Dwarfs

Game 2 vs Sean Lindeman’s Vampire Counts

He was running a character light list. Lots of skelles, and a couple blocks of Grave Guard. Twas cool.

I tried to smash the Wraiths with my Lord on Taurus as he had one of the only two magic weapons in the army. I damaged them pretty decently, but Gaze of Nagash (if mememory serves) undid him. I put up the best fight I could. His one block of Grave Guard loathed my blunderbuss, but managed to heal from 3 to full by end game. I lost, but it wasn’t a big loss. I did a lot better than I was thinking I was going to do.

Loss for the Chaos Dwarfs.

Game 3 vs Shawn Oliver’s Nurgle Demons

This game was AWESOME. Let me start by saying that. He has a great looking army. Just putrid and disgusting in all its Nurgle glory… which I approve of. Very good sport. A unit of 20 Hobgoblins with light armor and shields held up a Nurgle block with herald for 3-4 full turns. It was funny. The other hobgoblin block hit in the flank, stayed a bit then skedaddled. I had (due to the card I used for that game) a stubborn block of Chaos Dwarfs that never needed the stubborn block pretty much hold down the a similar Nurgle block the whole game. Great Taurus charged that Nurgle block in the flank… and got charged by Nurglings than Maneater (which it fought off). Beasts of Nurgle hit the warrior block in the flank and hurt the block a bit. Demon Prince got its final wound from instability.

The earth shaker misfired 3-4 times (each time a 6) the Death Rocket twice (one time a 6, the other time was no shoot for 2 turns (on turn 5)) we were joking they were on strike as they wanted a dental plan (got to take care of those tusks after all). However early on the PB block without herald got PUMMELED by my warmachines to where it about half strength by the time it got to being near combats.

This game was a chess match. It was fighting for any inch we could get. Which is a good thing. I like those kind of games. It was a brutal game for both of us. Lots of fun. We both had cases where are dice just failed, and both had cases we were amazed. The sheer amount of saves we were BOTH making in both main combats (Dwarfs vs Plaguebearers and Hobgobs vs Plaguebeaers) was amazing. We both only lost about 1-3 a turn… despite a lot of wounds being caused.

He had a very cool list. I’d say it was very fluffy. No magic whatsoever. No complaints at all, in fact I thought it was cool.

My dogs of war unit was Oglah Khan’s wolfriders… which allowed me to grab the objective dude and get out of dodge with it. Seeing as it had to be our DoW unit to grab it (basically)… that was a blessing for me… I have to admit.

Great game. Absolute fun. Perfect end to day 1.

The fact I managed a draw, with Chaos Dwarfs, against pure Nurgle was a moral victory for me too.

DAY TWO

Game 4 vs Kevin Boyer’s Orcs.

Pure Orc list. No magic. Some trolls and a giant. VERY fluffy list. It was a great joy.

Great Taurus saved my Earth shaker by dealing with the boar boyz and the trolls and later on he even terrored a unit of Orc Arrer boyz off a hill. The Earth shaker slowed the Trolls 3 turns… the first two of which they failed stupidity. Which also saved me.

We had the slap fight. Orc (Big Uns?) vs Chaos Dwarf warriors… both had BSBs designed to be fairly fighty. His BSB vs my Champ for initial challenge. Champ survives and he was worried I’d get two wounds and kill him and I failed to wound. First round ends with a single dead orc. Second round is a bit bloodier (2-3 dead, including my champ). Third round only a single dwarf dies. His unit ended up staying if I remember correctly. Perfect way for that to end!

We had laughs as I got a unit of Hobgoblins to cause fear with Death magic. It was funny… especially when they were in combat supported by Black Orcs. Something (I think my Black Orcs) ran 4" and his guys ran 3", which we both laughed at.

We ended up, after all is said and done in a near dead draw. It was a draw in my favor by 20 points.

Another amazing game. I had a blast. I really hope to face Kevin again at some point.

Draw for the Chaos Dwarfs

Game 5 vs Robert Klemic’s Chaos Mortals.

As per usual, we had the seemingly obligatory Robert vs Robert fight.

Against Robert, I seem to consistently roll hits… or drift to a great spot. Earth Shaker really did its job slowing his warriors, marauders, and some other unit. Lord on Taurus did his job, butchering, but not destroying, a unit of Chaos Ogres. The lord than was (a couple turns later) to get a flank charge on Dragon Ogres, cut them down, and hit a Dragon Ogre unit in the rear. This second DO unit was engaging my CD warrior block… (that had hounds in the flank). The Lord basically saved them as one of the shrines had +1 A on the DOs using Great Weapons. Blunderbuss proved lethal on the maruaders… only 2 ended up being able to charge. Finally fleeing due to my soft res.

Warrior block whittled to about 7-8 by the warmachines (from 10) charged a CD warrior block. Stuck in. Despite having +1 A , they didn’t kill anything on my turn… and I had made my block cause fear with the Death lore spell. They ran and were caught (he ran an 11 and I rolled a 12 (going to 11).

Our games seem to have random crazy things happen that either completely fail to work, or work disturbingly well.

Win for the Chaos Dwarfs

I’d like to thank all my opponents for great games. All five opponents were gentlemen, and a pleasure to fight. The tournament was a blast, as it always has been. Great scenarios, and I came away very relaxed… which I needed. Thanks to my opponents, Jim, and all those that helped run the tournament for making my weekend fun as can be.

I’ll post pics in a bit.  I also ranked #6 out out of (45?) on Sportsmanship… which at rampage is no small task.

Kera foehunter:

Thanks for the report 5 games wow at least you had a great time

good job swiss

BilboBaggins:

I wish you would have had a little more success but I feel having fun is the most important thing at these events.

Kera foehunter:

you can sleep it off we will let you swiss

btw when you where gone your slaves complained so much i let them go !!!

your welcome

kera

Swissdictator:

Photos (including a few by others):

http://s430.photobucket.com/albums/qq28/swissdictator/midwest%20rampage/

Kera foehunter:

where did you get the black skull swiss??

Swissdictator:

It’s a halloween decoration. The base is a lid to a drink if memory serves. Did some minor GS stuff to make the skull look part of the pedestal, and to smooth molding lines. I than sprayed several layers of gloss black on it. Than I glued in the marble thingies.