[Archive] Miliput?

AGPO:

I’ve just found somewhere local which sells miliput. I brought a pack of terracotta as that is waht people on this site use. Is there any difference apart from colour and what are the differences working with this compared to greenstuff?

Grimstonefire:

Milliput is messy, and IMO only suited to large models.

I would use it to sculpt bull centaur legs, lammasu etc, but I would not use it for faces, scale mail etc. Save that for greenstuff.

I don’t know if there is a difference between the different colours of Milliput, as I’ve only ever used white.

hal:

As Grimstonefire has said, miliput is best used for larger scale models and not great for small detail. It works a lot like clay IMO in the way it reacts to water etc.

cornixt:

I started with grey stuff (in the red box), it had too large a grain for models. The white stuff was meant to be superfine but it either didn’t harden properly or became very brittle. I only use it for terrain stuff now.

AGPO:

At the moment I’m using it for armatures and bulking up sculpts, then adding GS detail over the top. Hope it works - its a lot cheaper than GS

Kera foehunter:

havent use it.But alway wanting to try other modeling stuff.

Grimstonefire:

Anyone here used Super Sculpey? I don’t know what to make of this stuff. Sure you get as long as you want to sculpt, but then you can’t use it for plastic conversions (not sure about metal) as it needs to be oven baked.

WarplockMonkey:

I do basically the same as AGPO, use it for large, undetailed bits that would take up too much greenstuff

But a mix of the two works VERY well

Kera foehunter:

i use it to make cool mold for my baces.It pick up detail real good !!i also us it for cool rock for my baces easy to drill thew and pin your guys down to the bace. i give it a 10

AGPO:

I do basically the same as AGPO, use it for large, undetailed bits that would take up too much greenstuff

But a mix of the two works VERY well

WarplockMonkey
How much do you Mix Warplock? does it work well for detail coz if it does thats a great economy
@ kera - I've used miliput for bases - its great for making large rocks

Kera foehunter:

Thats cool i have alway wanted to try it

Ishkur Cinderhat:

I found Milliput (at least the green/grey version) gets too brittle to be any good for detail or fine work. It gets rock-hard though, so if you need to get sharp edges and want something that you can file down, Milliput is the right thing for that. I used it for the blade of my Hobgobbo wolfrider hero and I think many pro sculptors out there actually use it for similar things.

cornixt:

I ruined two files by filing down milliput, it just gets stuck in the gaps

WarplockMonkey:

How much do you Mix Warplock? does it work well for detail coz if it does thats a great economy

AGPO
About half greenstuff and half milliput, it dries hard and has a slight clay-like quality like milliput, but can keep smooth detail and isnt as brittle as milliput like greenstuff

AGPO:

Thanks a lot, I’ll give that one a try